GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Am I the only one??

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-12, 05:49 PM
Tree Fiddy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I the only one??

I went and test drove the new GS F-Sport yesterday and quite frankly, I was disappointed.

I love the design of the front, but from the second set of doors back it looks like the designers just quit trying and pulled parts from the other Lexus models.

The inside is amazing!!

And then the engineers must have been off for 12 months so they just stuck the IS350 V6 into the car and they were done. The car has ZERO umph, i do understand that the GS is a family sedan with quality in mind, but the F-Sport is supposed to have some additional power to match the more aggressive styling. Any thoughts that the Lexus engineers will come back from vacation and add some power to the GS in the future models??

Just wondering if I'm the only one that feels this way??
Old 02-24-12, 05:52 PM
LamTheSham
Pole Position

I thought the F-sport was just the aggressive styling...Look at the IS Fsport lines. No extra umph. :P
Old 02-24-12, 05:52 PM
jmatero
Driver School Candidate

It's not a GS-F. It's a GS350 F-Sport.
Old 02-24-12, 06:52 PM
energie8
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

It's just "F-Sport" just like the E350 Sport, they're mostly minor changes not engine power improvements like F and AMG.
Old 02-24-12, 10:45 PM
faifai83
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by energie8
It's just "F-Sport" just like the E350 Sport, they're mostly minor changes not engine power improvements like F and AMG.
...thus the reason the F Sport doesn't really spark any attention from me!
Old 02-24-12, 11:57 PM
Dema
Pole Position

I guess Lexus decided that sales for more powerful modification won't cover cost. If you look in sales numbers of E550 or 550i you will understand that.
Old 02-25-12, 12:11 PM
Tree Fiddy
Rookie

I'm not asking for a 550hp, sub 11 second race car, I'm asking for the engineers to put some more power into the car.

All they did was take the same V6 motor from the IS350 and put it into the new GS. 306hp for a 4,000 pound car makes this thing a slouch. I can understand the lower power motor in the base GS, but for nearly 60 grand, the car should have some more power to get out of its own damn way on the interstate. They show ads on TV of the car burning tires and high performance driving, and quite frankly, it doesn't live up to those expectations. It handled well, but if I'm putting the car in Sport + mode and planning to toss this beast around, it needs to have some power to get off the corners.

I dunno, maybe I'm just remembering what my IS350 was like and coming out of 425hp AWD just sets my expectations to an unrealistic level. I guess I'll have to wait and see if a GS F comes out and what the ungodly price tag on that will be.

Disappointed in performance....
Old 02-25-12, 02:46 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Tree Fiddy
I'm not asking for a 550hp, sub 11 second race car, I'm asking for the engineers to put some more power into the car.

All they did was take the same V6 motor from the IS350 and put it into the new GS. 306hp for a 4,000 pound car makes this thing a slouch. I can understand the lower power motor in the base GS, but for nearly 60 grand, the car should have some more power to get out of its own damn way on the interstate. They show ads on TV of the car burning tires and high performance driving, and quite frankly, it doesn't live up to those expectations. It handled well, but if I'm putting the car in Sport + mode and planning to toss this beast around, it needs to have some power to get off the corners.

I dunno, maybe I'm just remembering what my IS350 was like and coming out of 425hp AWD just sets my expectations to an unrealistic level. I guess I'll have to wait and see if a GS F comes out and what the ungodly price tag on that will be.

Disappointed in performance....
it faster than 535i and E350, and cheaper than both... it goes 0-60 in 5.5s...not sure if that should be considered as too slow to go on the interstate :-).
Old 02-25-12, 07:28 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

I feel the same way, but the rest of the forum is tired of hearing my complaints, so please disregard this post.

BTW, they did not just put the IS350 engine in it. They left the same engine in the car that has been in it for the past four or five years. It just so happens to be the same engine that is in the IS350.

To the poster who said to look at the sales of the 550 BMW & MB - yes, sales might be low, but that's all the more reason to give them credit for still offering it - along with the AMG & M versions. BTW, I had lunch with two close friends of mine today. One of them has a 2010 E550 coupe and a 2011 E550 Sedan, the other has a 2010 E550 coupe (and a supercharged Jag XJ). I guess my friends are some sort of freaks of nature to own so many cars that nobody buys
Old 02-25-12, 08:33 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

The F-sport being implemented in so far the IS, CT, GS, and rumored RX and others are adding to the Lexus brand. I like the addition of the F-sport to compete with the M package and AMG performance package of non Ms or AMGs. When I drove both the GS 350 and the F-sport, they both felt luxurious, retaining that Lexus quality of luxury, and it had a sport feel to it. Power wise, it would have been nice to get a bump for the F-sport, but it felt nimble and agile, much more compared to its direct competitors. It's odd that I do see more 550i and E500s than the 535s and E350, but the GS has faired well in the competition and many are taking notice.
Old 02-25-12, 09:25 PM
sizquik
Driver School Candidate

A car that looks like that should have more power. Hopefully we'll get a full "F" version. The interior is really well done, leagues ahead of the old car and the current 5 series.
Old 02-25-12, 11:16 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Tree Fiddy
I went and test drove the new GS F-Sport yesterday and quite frankly, I was disappointed.

I love the design of the front, but from the second set of doors back it looks like the designers just quit trying and pulled parts from the other Lexus models.

The inside is amazing!!

And then the engineers must have been off for 12 months so they just stuck the IS350 V6 into the car and they were done. The car has ZERO umph, i do understand that the GS is a family sedan with quality in mind, but the F-Sport is supposed to have some additional power to match the more aggressive styling. Any thoughts that the Lexus engineers will come back from vacation and add some power to the GS in the future models??

Just wondering if I'm the only one that feels this way??
Does the M-sport package give additional hp to BMW? Does the AMG sport package give additional hp for Mercedes Benz?

No right? They're mostly suspension upgrades with additional exterior mods. Lexus isn't claiming anything different. If the GSF doesn't have additional hp, then you can claim false advertising.
Old 02-26-12, 04:10 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
Does the M-sport package give additional hp to BMW? Does the AMG sport package give additional hp for Mercedes Benz?

No right? They're mostly suspension upgrades with additional exterior mods. Lexus isn't claiming anything different. If the GSF doesn't have additional hp, then you can claim false advertising.
How many times do we have to point out that BMW & MB do offer more power?

I have looked at quite a few M-B's lately and I have not seen an AMG badge on a car that simply has the sport package. The M-Sport only has one badge on the car and it's very subtle on the steering wheel.
Old 02-26-12, 04:35 AM
yamanote
Driver

Originally Posted by jjscsix
How many times do we have to point out that BMW & MB do offer more power?

I have looked at quite a few M-B's lately and I have not seen an AMG badge on a car that simply has the sport package. The M-Sport only has one badge on the car and it's very subtle on the steering wheel.
M-Sport BMWs come more than just one M badge- they're stamped on all four door sills and there's an M sticker on all four wheels.

Mercedes vehicles with the AMG Appearance Package come with wheels with the AMG logo stamped on them too

You are correct in saying that there are no additional trunk lid or fender badges though.

Just a note- adding the M-Sport package on BMWs will not net you any additional power. You will get the body kit, interior trimmings, special wheels and a tightened up suspension and that's it.
With the Mercedes' AMG Appearance Package, that will not get you any additional power either. Depending on the model there may be other modifications (e.g. on the GLK, the AMG Styling Package is only styling related, while the E-Class's AMG Sport Package will get you DIRECT-CONTROL suspension and bigger brakes).

Last edited by yamanote; 02-26-12 at 04:49 AM.
Old 02-26-12, 06:11 AM
Liferules
Driver

Is 0-60 in 5.6 seconds weak or wanting of more power? I personally don't think so. As above mentioned, its comparable with the 535 BMW, which is not considered weak or slow. Would it be nice for the true sport aficionados to have an option of a faster car comparable with the AMG or M? Yes. But for the vast majority of buyers, I think the 4GS is more than sufficient.

In my test drive, I felt the car had quite a bit of kick while driving in the 30's or 40's and flooring the accelerator...

Quick Reply: Am I the only one??