GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Went for test drive... I'm sold!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-12, 08:07 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Went for test drive... I'm sold!

First, I'm coming from an Audi S5 Cabriolet. It has the Supercharged V-6 engine and 7-speed double-clutch transmission so it is never short of power. I love the car... it is my second one... but due to current circumstances I need something more practical. I owned many Lexuses between 2000-2007, but I finally got bored because so many other automakers were making more exciting Infiniti and Audi pulled me away.

The GS350 may be the car to bring me back to Lexus. Here are my impressions:

After hearing the complaints about the car being underpowered I went in with low expectations. I knew the car could never be as fast off the line as my Audi but I was willing to compromise. I was pleasantly surprised. The GS can get up and go enough for my daily driving and I'm quite happy with that. Additionally, it did handle very well (as everyone has already said), and I was not driving the F-Sport model. This is worlds of difference from the 3 gen GS model, which I would never have considered.

As everyone has said, the interior is a knockout. I really want the Cabernet interior, so even though I would prefer to pass on the "predator" frond end I will probably go F-Sport just for the interior. After all, that's what I'll see 90% of the time. If they can't find one, I'll go Nebula/Light Gray/Luxury package.

I know all you Lexus guys will understand when I say that after owning many Lexuses from 2000-2007 and moving to Infniti and Audi, it is like "coming home". I owned an '01 GS300 and an '03 GS300 Sportdesign and were very happy with both (and talk about underpowered!) but for me Lexus lost something in the 3 gen GS. Well, they've found it again.

Aside from the so/so looks of this new GS, I am mightily impressed!

Now it is up to the dealer to work the numbers and find the car I want and then hopefully I can be posting pics.
Old 02-27-12, 09:36 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats great news, but honestly if it wasn't for the rattles in the 3GS I find it a perfect car. I never felt underpowered in it, anything in its class is very much similar. The only one thats faster would be the 535.
Old 02-27-12, 09:48 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Well said. One test drive is all it takes. Please do post pictures once you strike a deal!
Old 02-29-12, 08:19 PM
GSfsport
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

a test drive sold me on the gs fsport also, i was in the middle with audi a6 sports... glad to have you back with lexus
Old 02-29-12, 08:30 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GSfsport
a test drive sold me on the gs fsport also, i was in the middle with audi a6 sports... glad to have you back with lexus
Thank you! I could have probably gotten a better deal trading my S5 on an A6, which I find totally boring (although well put together) inside and out or an A7, which even at $70k comes with a horrible Bose sound system that many on the forums are complaining about. And for an additional $6k for Bang & Olafsen, the car is significantly out of the price/value proposition.

I considered (for 2 seconds) the Infiniti M37, but I don't care for the styling without the Sport Package, and with the Sport Package I've read there is lots of road noise and harshness. I owned a couple of M35 Sports, and the road noise was bad. Seems they haven't improved it.

I dont' like the E350 styling, inside our out, so it has never been in my consideration set, and when adding all the "packages" to a BMW 535 the price gets outrageous for a car that is at every other traffic light.

I guess the GS is a bit of a compromise, but it seems to do all things well IMO. It brought me back to my 2nd generation GS300, which I really enjoyed.

I put a deposit down today on an GS F-Sport. 2-4 weeks and she will be mine!
Old 02-29-12, 08:38 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am glad that Lexus is bringing back loyal customers and older ones. I have been very happy with my 2006 GS and that after having a 2011 BMW 5 for 1 year, I am looking to getting the GS and save some money and have a well rounded sports/luxury sedan. The 5 was nice but I was disappointment with the numb handling and poor ride with standard suspension and I had quality issues that was bothering me. I admitted that I could of gone for the dynamic handling package but with the problems with the rims getting bent and the poor run flat tires on the sports version, I didn't see any point in spending another 3k over my fully loaded 61k MSRP 535i xdrive to get the ride and handling that I wanted. It was too much of a compromise. While the turbo engine of the 5 generates better take off, the lag and silence of the engine is annoying. The GS has a natural aspirated engine that feels surefooted and responds very rapidly in sports mode and I feel that it shifts better and feels more grunt in the upper RPM range if not so much at lower RPM. However, both cars have the same 0-60 speed time. I do wish the GS had slightly more HP but its quite powerful enough,

The premium GS and the F-sports both beat the 5 in handling and ride feel and feels more lively. All for a much better pricing than the 5.

Last edited by Rexus300; 03-01-12 at 09:25 AM.
Old 02-29-12, 08:49 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Rexus300
I am glad that Lexus is bringing back loyal customers and older ones. I have been very happy with my 2006 GS and that after having a 2011 BMW 5 for 1 year, I am looking to getting the GS and save some money and have a well rounded sports/luxury sedan. The 5 was nice but I was disappointment with the numb handling and poor ride with standard suspension and I had quality issues that was bothering me. I admitted that I could of gone for the dynamic handling package but with the problems with the rims getting bent and the poor run flat tires on the sports version, I didn't see any point in spending another 3k over my fully loaded 61k MSRP 535i xdrive to get the ride and handling that I wanted. It was too much of a compromise.

The premium GS and the F-sports both beat the 5 in handling and ride feel and feels more lively. All for a much better pricing than the 5.
Couldn't have said it better. I test drove a 335is convertible before buying my S5 Cabriolet and I couldn't believe the harsh ride with the run flat tires. I do have to admit the S5 has been a great car but I need something bigger.

Glad to hear you are coming back to Lexus as well. We can both say we had the "German experience" and can look at the BMW and Audi drivers with an expression that says, "if you only knew".
Old 02-29-12, 09:30 PM
LexFather

Congrats and welcome back. We look forward to your future inputs!
Old 03-01-12, 01:58 AM
tomoshort
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I spoke to my Sales Guy today. He said he is witness to a phenomenon he has never seen in the car business. So far five of his managers have purchased a 4gs and many of the sales staff would like to. It is his observation that to drive it is to love it. That is how I feel about mine.
Old 03-01-12, 08:47 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by tomoshort
I spoke to my Sales Guy today. He said he is witness to a phenomenon he has never seen in the car business. So far five of his managers have purchased a 4gs and many of the sales staff would like to. It is his observation that to drive it is to love it. That is how I feel about mine.
and i have to agree, the 4gs is more about driving it. that's the big selling point imho. the car drives good!
Old 03-01-12, 05:40 PM
JDMToyotas
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DAMN...

After reading all these comments the new GS is really a HIT ! Congrats Lexus