GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

So much for predictions of the 4GS being a flop

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-12, 04:59 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 468 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by SW10ES
Um, they do...its called the Hyundai Genesis, and its done pretty well. They also make a $60k full size luxury car the Equus which is also doing quite well.

I think you really need to do a little research into the automotive market before you offer opinions. Hyundai is already in the $50-$60k luxury market, Lexus has hit their sales goals with the GS, and has several class leading vehicles in the ES, RX, & LS.

Lexus has been succeeding in the luxury car market for many years, and has been the top selling luxury marque in the US for a number of years. They would be right now if not for the effects of the tsunami in Japan.
You're right, boy the Genesis is selling even better than the ES [in in it's final month].

However, where's the $60k Hyundai Equus???
It's not in the Top 20.
You see, it's not easy to enter the luxury market.
The further we go up the luxury market, the harder...

Last edited by peteharvey; 06-07-12 at 05:16 PM.
Old 06-07-12, 05:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

The $60k vehicle is the Hyundai Equus. Its not meant to be a volume car.

Its not easy to enter the luxury market, but you're talking like Lexus is "entering the luxury market" with the GS. Lexus has been in the luxury market for 14 years and is a sales, quality, reliability, service, and loyalty leader.
Old 06-07-12, 05:30 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Its not easy to enter the luxury market, but you're talking like Lexus is "entering the luxury market" with the GS. Lexus has been in the luxury market for 14 years and is a sales, quality, reliability, service, and loyalty leader.
No. I never said nor hinted that Lexus is entering the luxury market with the GS at all?
What a silly thing to say?

Also, no one has said that the 4GS is a flop at all.
This is what this thread is all about.
If anything, one would have to be out of their mind to say that the new 4GS is a flop.

However, often this thread has deviated in a different direction, offering ideas and ways to improve on the new 4GS, so that it can one day become an undisputed Number 1 in this midsize luxury market sector...
Old 06-07-12, 06:15 PM
ECL
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I agree with everything you said, except Lexus has been in the luxury market since 1989, 23 years.
Old 06-07-12, 06:25 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Yes, Lexus was originally codenamed project F1 back in 1983.
It made its debut at the North American International Motor Show in Detroit, back in January 1989, with two models: the LS400, and the ES250...
Old 06-07-12, 07:03 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,437 Likes on 1,598 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Also, no one has said that the 4GS is a flop at all.
This is what this thread is all about.
yup, and uh yup
Old 06-07-12, 07:28 PM
LexFather

Genesis sales include coupes, don't forge that . The Genesis did flop, they wanted to sell 50k a year and NEVER came close to hitting that. You don't hear the media or people talking about that b/c Hyundai is still the new darling. Its quite lame. If Lexus announced 50k GS sales and hit 24k the media would blast Lexus for failing and ever troll on the internet would be rehashing it.

I also find it funny people say Lexus set the bar low with the GS sales yet Hyundai aimed for only 2,000-3,000 Equus sales, which they did hit. So who is setting the bar low?

Its funny to see the double standard strike Lexus with Hyundai. Either that or people need to do some research before spouting off

Now understand the Genesis and Equus are amazing efforts from Hyundai and to think they are going to get better. They are very good cars and my comments are about sales, not the cars.

Last edited by LexFather; 06-07-12 at 07:35 PM.
Old 06-07-12, 09:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ECL
I agree with everything you said, except Lexus has been in the luxury market since 1989, 23 years.
Math skills failed me. Been one of those days!

Scary thing is I actually counted from 1989 in my head and got 14 years LOL

I think by Hyundai's expectations the Genesis was a disappointment, but I think if you look at it realistically it's been pretty successful. There are reasons why it didn't live up to their expectations, but that's a topic for another thread.
Old 06-08-12, 11:21 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,437 Likes on 1,598 Posts

at least hyundai has a 429HP v8 genesis sedan. something wicked came from s. korea.
Old 06-08-12, 12:33 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
at least hyundai has a 429HP v8 genesis sedan. something wicked came from s. korea.
lol

And yet enthusiasts aren't lining up to buy it, reviews were average and even the 420hp M56 struggles to sell and also struggled in reviews. So offering a V-8 isn't enough. 420hp in a chassis like the GS sounds like it would be wonderful but for now we can only wish

It is utterly amazing to think Hyundai offers a 429hp Genesis.
Old 06-08-12, 06:27 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
lol

And yet enthusiasts aren't lining up to buy it, reviews were average and even the 420hp M56 struggles to sell and also struggled in reviews. So offering a V-8 isn't enough. 420hp in a chassis like the GS sounds like it would be wonderful but for now we can only wish

It is utterly amazing to think Hyundai offers a 429hp Genesis.
But Hyundai is trying though. I give them props beyond props.
High power sedan, coupe and now a stylish Sonata that I'm sure is selling well....I give them much props.
Old 06-08-12, 09:48 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
What do you mean "that would belong to Hyundai"......they shouldn't be mentioned in the same universe with the word flop. I see 10-20 new Hyundai Sonata's day. The GS won't ever get close to Sonata sales. At least here in Fort Lauderdale. Can only speak for what I observe here. Around here I see one $gs every other day. The Sonata came out of the box firing on all cylinders. Can't compare anything about the 2. Different cars, different audiences.
The Sonata is a $25k car. The GS is a $60k car. I wouldn't expect them to even be close in sales. Plus, in Ft. Lauderdale half the Sonatas on the road are rental cars.
Old 06-09-12, 09:40 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah they're trying, give them time.

I think what will ultimately keep them from being successful in the luxury market is that they underestimated the American need to be validated among their peers and their need to be coddled by the dealership. Buying a luxury car is by its very nature a vanity purchase, and a certain cache comes with that, it makes a statement about you. Without a luxury division Hyundai won't truly grab hold.
Old 06-09-12, 12:48 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
The domestics also have big engine RWD sedans and coupes for bargain prices. Hyundai's is just dressed a bit more formally, but the formula is the same.

Originally Posted by peteharvey
You're right, boy the Genesis is selling even better than the ES [in in it's final month].

However, where's the $60k Hyundai Equus???
It's not in the Top 20.
You see, it's not easy to enter the luxury market.
The further we go up the luxury market, the harder...
The Genesis sedan is not outselling the ES. Hyundai includes both coupes and sedans in Genesis sales, with the much cheaper coupe making up the bulk of the numbers. I wouldn't be surprised if the Genesis sedan sales are just 30%-40% of the total Genesis sales.

Originally Posted by Ice350
What do you mean "that would belong to Hyundai"......they shouldn't be mentioned in the same universe with the word flop. I see 10-20 new Hyundai Sonata's day. The GS won't ever get close to Sonata sales. At least here in Fort Lauderdale. Can only speak for what I observe here. Around here I see one $gs every other day. The Sonata came out of the box firing on all cylinders. Can't compare anything about the 2. Different cars, different audiences.
The Sonata is half the price of the GS and competes with the Toyota Camry, Honda Accord and Nissan Altima - all of which BTW outsold it last month, with the Camry nearly doubling Sonata's sales. If this is "firing on all cylinders" then Hyundai is in deep trouble. But there are many other factors to consider, such as lower production capacity and a smaller dealer network not to mention the KIA Optima as well.

Last edited by Mr. Burns; 06-09-12 at 12:53 PM.
Old 06-09-12, 03:04 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
The Genesis sedan is not outselling the ES. Hyundai includes both coupes and sedans in Genesis sales, with the much cheaper coupe making up the bulk of the numbers. I wouldn't be surprised if the Genesis sedan sales are just 30%-40% of the total Genesis sales...
Boy, if the sedan version is just 30-40% of the total Genesis sales, then the Genesis sedan isn't selling too well at all, especially considering its price.

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
The Sonata is half the price of the GS and competes with the Toyota Camry, Honda Accord and Nissan Altima - all of which BTW outsold it last month, with the Camry nearly doubling Sonata's sales. If this is "firing on all cylinders" then Hyundai is in deep trouble. But there are many other factors to consider, such as lower production capacity and a smaller dealer network not to mention the KIA Optima as well.
Wow, I don't follow Hyundai much these days, but it is surprising to see that the Sonata only sells at half the rate of the Camry.
If I were Hyundai, I would try to bump things up.
Cheap cars should aim to sell in larger volumes...

Last edited by peteharvey; 06-09-12 at 03:07 PM.

Quick Reply: So much for predictions of the 4GS being a flop