Search this Thread

Old 08-06-12, 12:53 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Oh, I must be really out of it lately.
The current 4LS was released in 2007.
That means it is only 5 years old, from usually a 7 year model cycle.
So, it is indeed only a 4.5 or 4.75LS.
I was wondering why the back of it looked so similar to the current model...
7 year cycle might be on other models, but not the LS

as flipside posted in another thread:

Gen 1 - UCF10 1990-1994 (1993 Refresh) 4.0L 250hp
Gen 2 - UCF20 1995-2000 (1998 Refresh) 4.0L 260hp
Gen 3 - UCF30 2001-2006 (2004 Refresh) 4.3L 290hp
Gen 4 - USV40 2007-current (2010 Refresh; 2013 Refresh). 4.6L 380hp; 4.6L 386hp

the LS has always been under 5 to at most 6 years in previous generations. the 4ls is the first time they carry 2 (or more?) facelifts and model cycle stretching for longer
Old 08-06-12, 01:07 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
7 year cycle might be on other models, but not the LS

as flipside posted in another thread:

Gen 1 - UCF10 1990-1994 (1993 Refresh) 4.0L 250hp
Gen 2 - UCF20 1995-2000 (1998 Refresh) 4.0L 260hp
Gen 3 - UCF30 2001-2006 (2004 Refresh) 4.3L 290hp
Gen 4 - USV40 2007-current (2010 Refresh; 2013 Refresh). 4.6L 380hp; 4.6L 386hp

the LS has always been under 5 to at most 6 years in previous generations. the 4ls is the first time they carry 2 (or more?) facelifts and model cycle stretching for longer
i dont think there is a rule of thumb as to the length on the market for Lexus vehicles. Toyota used to be known for shortest time on market for their vehicles, but it really depends on more than few factors and i have a feeling that happenings in 2009 stretched model years a bit.
Old 08-06-12, 10:44 AM
NickL
Instructor

Received 370 Likes on 241 Posts

Lexus need to make it easy for people to customize their cars(GS, LS, etc). Anyone who can afford luxury will want all the bells and whistles that come with it. Having the option of power trunk and mirror available everywhere else except the US was a very bad idea.
Old 08-06-12, 10:49 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by spwolf
i dont think there is a rule of thumb as to the length on the market for Lexus vehicles. Toyota used to be known for shortest time on market for their vehicles, but it really depends on more than few factors and i have a feeling that happenings in 2009 stretched model years a bit.
i never said there is rule of thumb, i don't think so either. but i was just pointing out to peteharvey that his 7 yr cycle came out of no where for ls
Old 08-06-12, 02:54 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 468 Likes on 310 Posts

The previous 3LS was from roughly 2000-2007.
However, I forgot that the original 1LS was 1989-1995, while the 2LS was 1995-2000.
The exact year range varies depending on the market [country].
Yes, it is all over the place isn't it.

Presently, Benz and Beamer are very consistent at 7 years, however they are said to be shortening that for future models.

Toyota and Honda use to be consistent at 4 years in the 80's and 90's, but nowadays they are using consistent 5 year model cycles for the Camry and ES, and the Accord.

Hopefully, Lexus can get more consistency, and more competitive shorter cycles for the 5GS and 5LS; they'll need to keep up with the Germans who are working hard, and peeling cost cutting Lexus away...
Old 08-06-12, 04:07 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

The previous 3LS was from roughly 2000-2007.
However, I forgot that the original 1LS was 1989-1995, while the 2LS was 1995-2000.
The exact year range varies depending on the market [country].
Yes, it is all over the place isn't it.

Presently, Benz and Beamer are very consistent at 7 years, however they are said to be shortening that for future models.

Toyota and Honda use to be consistent at 4 years in the 80's and 90's, but nowadays they are using consistent 5 year model cycles for the Camry and ES, and the Accord.

Hopefully, Lexus can get more consistency, and more competitive shorter cycles for the 5GS and 5LS; they'll need to keep up with the Germans who are working hard, and peeling cost cutting Lexus away...
not sure where you are located and don't want to get this too OT from 4gs. but ls430 was from MY 2001 to 2006 here in the US. there is no 07 ls430
Old 08-06-12, 07:48 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

There really is no rule of thumb with Lexus, since the SC300/400 were introduced as 1992 models and discontinued as 2000 models. That is a 9-year lifespan. The SC430 was around from 2002-2010, Again, 9 years. If Lexus comes out with a sharp-looking coupe (not LFA priced) with the dynamics of the GS I will be all over it, especially since it will be in style for almost a decade.

Last edited by dseag2; 08-06-12 at 07:53 PM.
Old 08-06-12, 07:55 PM
LexFather

Oh, I must be really out of it lately.
The current 4LS was released in 2007.
That means it is only 5 years old, from usually a 7 year model cycle.
So, it is indeed only a 4.5 or 4.75LS.
I was wondering why the back of it looked so similar to the current model...
You are really confusing your opinion with facts. And I'm telling you and the forum its a refresh, its not a new car. /Thread

The size difference between the GS and LS is staggering and the LS has a much more bold grill. I have no idea how anyone could confuse the two.

In regards to the economy, I don't think its an issue when the luxury market has clearly rebounded and sales continue to go up.

Lexus needs to get its head out its butt and really push the GS more, advertising and marketing has DIED since spring. I hope they name the new coupe GSc instead of SC to give the GS added excitement. Its sad since the GS really is the best driving car in class and it is attracting customers and on target for sales. I hope the Lexus fall promotions help!

The GS 450h has launched and I've yet to see ANYTHING advertising it.
Old 08-06-12, 11:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
You are really confusing your opinion with facts. And I'm telling you and the forum its a refresh, its not a new car. /Thread

The size difference between the GS and LS is staggering and the LS has a much more bold grill. I have no idea how anyone could confuse the two.

In regards to the economy, I don't think its an issue when the luxury market has clearly rebounded and sales continue to go up.

Lexus needs to get its head out its butt and really push the GS more, advertising and marketing has DIED since spring. I hope they name the new coupe GSc instead of SC to give the GS added excitement. Its sad since the GS really is the best driving car in class and it is attracting customers and on target for sales. I hope the Lexus fall promotions help!

i couldn't believe how tough it is/was for us to tell people it's a facelift not new car...

on advertising, i agree completely. i couldn't believe just yesterday evening i saw a lexus commercial on the CURRENT es350?! wtf?!
Old 08-07-12, 08:39 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rominl
i couldn't believe how tough it is/was for us to tell people it's a facelift not new car...

on advertising, i agree completely. i couldn't believe just yesterday evening i saw a lexus commercial on the CURRENT es350?! wtf?!
I wonder about a lot of people here Myself, you and I want to say Joe-Z and Ryan stated it was a refresh from day one and all we got was a mountain of opposition and people claiming to have sources which were wrong.

Yes Lexus is dropping the ball on the GS marketing/advertising and I'm not even sure why they invested in a 450h here if they are not going to explain to consumers how incredible it is getting 31 MPG AVERAGE and 338hp. As a GSh owner is makes me sick

Lexus needs to do a driving event for the GS like they did in the past. Sure its expensive but people need to experience the GS. The GS needs help with marketing!!! It is not a car that will sell itself like the ES or LS.
Old 08-07-12, 09:32 AM
Mixman
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here in the NY/NJ area we are being saturated with the Lexus Golden Opportunity advertising. Without a doubt they have the most commercials of any car company right now! It's all over, every ten minutes on TV. Those commercials generally feature the GS, especially because it is new.

My wife even showed me a recent episode of one of the fashion shows which the designers were inspired by the GS350. They got to drive them and were supposed to incorporate the different colors of the GS into their designs. There is no doubt here in the NY area they are trying, but whether they are successful or not.....Who knows?
Old 08-07-12, 10:41 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

I wonder about a lot of people here Myself, you and I want to say Joe-Z and Ryan stated it was a refresh from day one and all we got was a mountain of opposition and people claiming to have sources which were wrong.

Yes Lexus is dropping the ball on the GS marketing/advertising and I'm not even sure why they invested in a 450h here if they are not going to explain to consumers how incredible it is getting 31 MPG AVERAGE and 338hp. As a GSh owner is makes me sick

Lexus needs to do a driving event for the GS like they did in the past. Sure its expensive but people need to experience the GS. The GS needs help with marketing!!! It is not a car that will sell itself like the ES or LS.
if this continues, seriously, i can't fault toyoda for wanting the gs discontinued. no effort
Old 08-07-12, 10:58 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 211 Likes on 145 Posts

I see the "Golden Opportunity" commercials a lot. I've mainly been watching the Olympics and Reds baseball, so whatever market that hits...I guess sports enthusiasts. #makessense The GS is predominantly show during those commercials as well...even the one where 2 GSs are getting passed by the ISF and LFA.
Old 08-07-12, 05:52 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

.....Lexus needs to get its head out its butt and really push the GS more, advertising and marketing has DIED since spring. I hope they name the new coupe GSc instead of SC to give the GS added excitement. Its sad since the GS really is the best driving car in class and it is attracting customers and on target for sales. I hope the Lexus fall promotions help!

They need to get their head out of their butt, but you come back with "on target for sales". Which is it. Are they on target for sales or do they have their head up their butt?
Old 08-07-12, 07:55 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 468 Likes on 310 Posts

So, how is the 4GS performing so far?
It should be comfortably on target for 2k/mth.
However, it is underselling its predecessor, the 3GS which amassed 33.5k in the equivalent period.

We won't know for years to come, till the next generation 5GS comes out, when all the knives will come out for the 4GS, and then we will be able to analyse exactly what went right, and what went wrong with the 4GS.

Ditto the 2nd facelifted 4.75LS.
It is an above average car - a good car even - but it lacks that one punch knock out!
Let's put enthusiasts aside, the mass market which ultimately determines the overall sales of the 4.75LS may prefer the original 4LS styling over the 2nd facelift?
The mass market is important because it determines how much profit the manufacturer and dealers make, so at least the manufacturer can pour that money back into research and development; otherwise the next gen 5GS will still have a 6 speed auto tranny etc.

Marketing, discounting, and leasing are secondary factors.
The primary factor is that Lexus needs more styling in their range; to give the car more emotional appeal.
A good car is great, but it still needs that emotional appeal to the mass public.
Presently, the most attractive Lexus by far, would still have to be the facelifted RX350 with the spindle grill - which is also Lexus' best selling model, by far...

Last edited by peteharvey; 08-07-12 at 10:07 PM.

Quick Reply: So much for predictions of the 4GS being a flop