GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

So much for predictions of the 4GS being a flop

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-12, 10:19 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

the same sales tactics go for other brands as well, like paul said can't blame any lexus sales. if anything, it should be a problem for product development and marketing. you can't expect a customer to come in and push them to buy the most expensive car in the lot. just like bmw sales won't push a 5 series buyer to get the m5 and mb sales to push e class buyer to get the e63.

on the number itself, more than sept is good, but sept wasn't that impressive imho. so it's a good trend, but i think it's capable of more. december to remember has started, nov and dec is the time to tell. i think lexus expected avg 2k a month, so it should be around 22k (since feb). it can get there, lexus needs to work hard
Old 11-13-12, 12:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

+1...salespeople are in business to make a living, and unless you've never been in sales you don't really know how difficult a way to make a living it can be.

Its not the salesperson's job to move a specific product for the "benefit of that product", its Lexus' job to make people walk into the dealership wanting certain models of cars. Its the salespersons job to help customers figure out what they want, and to get them what they want while delivering good service.

I do agree that the GS seems like the lost puppy on the dealers lot...
Old 11-15-12, 10:22 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,371 Likes on 1,556 Posts

also, with salles, you get what you incent. if lexus or dealers want to move more gs (vs. es) they need to offer better commission on that model. that'll steer the salesperson behavior. works every time.

"oh you like that ES? well if you like that, you're going to LOVE this GS over here!"

but i don't think lexus has any compelling reason to move more gs vs. es. i don't know which has bigger margins, but that's not the only factor of course. and the es/gs split doesn't exist in isolation of course. customers can be considering all kinds of things.
Old 11-15-12, 02:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yep, I agree.

Its funny, I have only one time been told by a car salesman "You have GOT to drive this car before you decide". To me, if I'm a car salesman and I've got a customer that is obviously a car guy and an enthusiast an opportunity to show them something that I like and see what they think is an opportunity to build rapport. I think the issue is these car salespeople don't really have any passion for what they are selling.

That time was when I bought our Jeep, the salesman was a great guy and he told me "Look, you've GOT to drive the Hemi before you buy the V6" I declined because I knew if I drove the Hemi I'd have to have the Hemi But the guy loved the Jeeps and it showed.
Old 11-15-12, 02:48 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
salespeople take the path of least resistance. can't really blame them, they've got to put food on the table, and i'd bet 90% of people who walk into a lexus dealership are looking for comfy, quiet, reliable, not sporty. the gs has controversial front styling combined with a rather bland side profile, making it rather unusual.

the other day a 4gs went by me, followed not long after by a new es. passengers thought the 4gs looked dull (they didn't see the front) and the es elicited a 'wow'. just one data point, but it doesn't surprise me.

but regardless, the 4gs has the sporty credentials, test results / great reviews, and features, that those in the know will consider it. it will be a niche vehicle, but that's ok because lexus has the es to get larger volume mainstream sales.

this thread itself should probably be closed, since the 4gs is certainly not a flop!
Originally Posted by rominl
the same sales tactics go for other brands as well, like paul said can't blame any lexus sales. if anything, it should be a problem for product development and marketing. you can't expect a customer to come in and push them to buy the most expensive car in the lot. just like bmw sales won't push a 5 series buyer to get the m5 and mb sales to push e class buyer to get the e63.

on the number itself, more than sept is good, but sept wasn't that impressive imho. so it's a good trend, but i think it's capable of more. december to remember has started, nov and dec is the time to tell. i think lexus expected avg 2k a month, so it should be around 22k (since feb). it can get there, lexus needs to work hard
I didn't say it is the #1 problem. I said it was a concern and its a fair assessment. I don't care what imaginary people in a car think. I didn't say that the customer needs to push the sale.

I said "concern" and its something I've stated many times in the past. Lexus salese people rather the easy sale and sell white/beige RX/ES to anyone even if the GS etc has a higher commission. The GS is a vehicle that needs a stronger salesperson to explain the reasons for purchase not just due to the competition but to the ES. I know the GS is not getting that attention and sales could be better if they had a sales team vested in it.

Enthusiasts. It is simply an observation.

Originally Posted by SW10ES
Yep, I agree.

Its funny, I have only one time been told by a car salesman "You have GOT to drive this car before you decide". To me, if I'm a car salesman and I've got a customer that is obviously a car guy and an enthusiast an opportunity to show them something that I like and see what they think is an opportunity to build rapport. I think the issue is these car salespeople don't really have any passion for what they are selling.

That time was when I bought our Jeep, the salesman was a great guy and he told me "Look, you've GOT to drive the Hemi before you buy the V6" I declined because I knew if I drove the Hemi I'd have to have the Hemi But the guy loved the Jeeps and it showed.
Exactly. Great salespeople will get someone that wanted to spend 40k to spend 60k on something. They will explain the features, benefits and show how spending 60k is worth more than spending 40k.

Again having visited way to many Lexus dealers to count I know the GS and IS, IS F and any sporty Lexus is not getting that attention.
Old 11-15-12, 03:17 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I think we should give the sales people more time to adjust to all the changes that are happening to this brand. Let's be honest here, Lexus has been on the boring side for several years. There was nothing sporty to offer or talk about. I can only think of the 2GS, but that was 15 years ago. Then by the end of the decade we finally saw what Lexus could really do and if they continue to make sporty sedans and hopefully coupes soon, then I think that the sales people will have no choice but to adjust their tactics, because there won't be a lot of soccer moms and 60+ buyers at the door. They'll have to deal with much youner and different crowds
Old 11-15-12, 03:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Exactly. Great salespeople will get someone that wanted to spend 40k to spend 60k on something. They will explain the features, benefits and show how spending 60k is worth more than spending 40k.
Absolutely...

I think the issue is that great salespeople don't sell cars, they sell things that make them much, much more money. There's just not enough money in selling cars, any cars, to keep great salespeople around.
Old 11-15-12, 03:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Blueprint
I didn't say it is the #1 problem. I said it was a concern and its a fair assessment. I don't care what imaginary people in a car think. I didn't say that the customer needs to push the sale.

I said "concern" and its something I've stated many times in the past. Lexus salese people rather the easy sale and sell white/beige RX/ES to anyone even if the GS etc has a higher commission. The GS is a vehicle that needs a stronger salesperson to explain the reasons for purchase not just due to the competition but to the ES. I know the GS is not getting that attention and sales could be better if they had a sales team vested in it.

Enthusiasts. It is simply an observation.

Again having visited way to many Lexus dealers to count I know the GS and IS, IS F and any sporty Lexus is not getting that attention.
and again that's pretty much where i think it doesn't make sense. in some way it's like you get a civic and try to make a race car out of it. it can only be so good.

of course it's good if they have more enthusiasts trying to sell cars, it's putting the wrong job on the wrong person. simply put, i am pretty sure i can sell the gs better than most sales, but i don't think they can afford my salary. the same kind of sales people exist in bmw and mb too, but they don't have the problem because they don't have the gs/es scenario. so in that case, it should be lexus marketing and product development to create the mindset in people.

imagine "upgrading" all the sales people to be more enthusiastic and push the gs, i bet it's going to cost a lot more
Old 11-15-12, 04:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

simply put, i am pretty sure i can sell the gs better than most sales, but i don't think they can afford my salary.
Exactly...
Old 01-03-13, 04:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

to finish 2012, what a fantastic month lexus had done with the gs

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/7681337-post18.html

almost 2800 4gs sold, that's quite an insane number!!!! i don't care if it's because of the deals or incentives, bottom line is it's good to see lexus putting focus on this car. so awesome.

i am sure all the numbers are hidden somewhere, i wonder how many 4gs lexus has sold in 2012 (feb till dec). i am pretty sure it's over 20k? i think it's a good indication to lexus about what they should do with upcoming models
Old 01-03-13, 07:27 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

almost 2800 4gs sold, that's quite an insane number!!!! i don't care if it's because of the deals or incentives, bottom line is it's good to see lexus putting focus on this car. so awesome.

i am sure all the numbers are hidden somewhere, i wonder how many 4gs lexus has sold in 2012 (feb till dec). i am pretty sure it's over 20k? i think it's a good indication to lexus about what they should do with upcoming models
It's in there. Calendar Year to Date is 22,160 GS's sold. That's a 491% increase over the 3746 they sold in 2011.
Old 01-03-13, 07:45 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I concur...
Old 01-03-13, 07:53 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

if more sells, maybe we can get aftermarket support? ...or maybe even a gsf! good numbers. I would have bought one even without the incentives. Only thing is missing is 50-100 more Horse Power.

Last edited by sam430; 01-03-13 at 09:02 PM.
Old 01-03-13, 08:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Wow...those are great sales figures...
Old 01-03-13, 10:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by dseag2
It's in there. Calendar Year to Date is 22,160 GS's sold. That's a 491% increase over the 3746 they sold in 2011.
darn, silly me didn't look at the right columns. fantastic! i think initially they were shooting for 24k units but i say this is close enough. the growth number over past year is completely pointless because 3gs was almost dead already. regardless, i am really excited about how lexus put focus on the gs

Quick Reply: So much for predictions of the 4GS being a flop