GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

So much for predictions of the 4GS being a flop

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-13, 03:32 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Hi SW10ES.
You asked in the 3IS thread about how well the E Class and 5 Series sold back in 2005?
5 Series 52,722
E Class 50,383.
Thus today, both the E Class and 5 Series have both increased their sales, yet the 4GS is only selling at 2/3rd's the volume of 2005; a big discrepancy?
Theoretically, the 4GS should have grown in percentage-wise with E and 5.
Lexus knows this better than we do, and I'm sure they're presently hard at work.
The fact is Lexus aimed for 24k for a 12 month period. They are at around 22k so they will meet/beat their target. Doesn't matter what the others did.

AGAIN LEXUS WILL MEET/BEAT THEIR SALES TARGET FOR THE GS.

For the 1 trillionith time (not to you, I've stated it everywhere) the E/5 will always sell 1st 2nd. Instead of you and other beating up the GS for being 3rd, the GS is a solid 3rd. The A6 hasn't gained much ground, the M flopped, the XF is pretty niche, the RL is a joke and the 9-5 is gone.

It is like me saying the X3 or GLK or ML or X5 is not selling well b/c the RX outsells them 2-1 or 3-1. That is not the case they have different sales goals. Nothing will sell like the RX.

Its like saying the Sonata fails b/c it is never close to beating the Camry in sales. That is false, the Sonata factory is working overtime to build every one they can.

This is all done with a very limited GS lineup that is Lexus fault. But the fact is Lexus is 3rd with 90% of sales being the GS 350 and 10% being the GS 450h.

If you ask for my opinion as to why no in-line growth?
Probably that Camry accelerator floor mat recalls incident started it all, slowing TMC down in recent years.
Thus 8 speed auto gearboxes delayed a little etc.
Then there's the major change in design - now "niching" to sportiness, which is paradise for enthusiasts!
Rather than going mainstream to the mass market.
The past tells us about the future, so the 3IS will have no easy feat in 2013.
The GS is on the way to meeting/exceeding sales goals. So even with these shortcomings listed, it did its job. It sold well. It met its target. The GS is not perfect, I am not here to debate that. I am adamant that anyone saying the GS isn't doing well is completely wrong.

Regardless of the sales, it doesn't mean that the 4GS is a bad car!
Not at all.
I purchased the 3ES back in 1999 knowing its strengths and weaknesses.
I purchased the 2006 IS250 knowing its strengths and weaknesses.
I purchased the 2009 3GS knowing its strengths and weaknesses.
Of course there must be more strengths than weaknesses otherwise we wouldn't buy the car.
In all cases, I knew before the purchase that the IS and GS were NOT top sellers in their class.

Talking about weaknesses doesn't necessarily mean that we don't like it, or won't buy it.
We talk about weaknesses constructively so that the manufacturer can improve on the next model!
If they are listening and reading.
I'd probably buy the facelifted 4GS in a few years time, with hopefully cleaner looking tail light lenses?
Lexus facelifts often seem to rectify the originals; just a matter with being patient signing on the dotted line.

In previous posts, I have highlighted many good features of the 4GS including:
1) Exterior styling [except for the plain tail light lenses, especially the L-lines].
2) Decently roomy interior,
I have mentioned a number of times previously that the fancy air conditioned seats have huge thick seats bases and back rests that really rob the 3GS, 4GS and old 2IS of foot room and leg room, while the new 4GS door mounted ashtrays rob the 4GS of lateral knee room.
3) The tallest rear seat base in its class, with the highest rear seating position, for the best window view.
4) The biggest boot in class.
5) Best atmostpheric engine, though bottom end could do with more punch.
6) Decent economy [petrol is cheap where I am].
7) Good steering feel, turn in, and terminal grip.
8) Best ride in class!
Longer suspension travel than my 3GS, but also better damped than my floaty 3GS.
9) Quietest ride in class.
I don't like the way the engine roars under acceleration, however when cruising, it is actually quieter than my 3GS.
10) New lane change warning, headup display etc...

It is very easy to update the 4GS tail light lenses at facelift.
Lexus will give the facelifted 4GS luxury model a new set of 18" alloys, whether you ask them or not!
Easy to put a bit of firewall insulation back in, or remove resonance devices in the intake?
I'd be nice to get more bottom end punch, and an 8 speed auto.
Luckily, the interior styling is not as important as the exterior styling because most people do indeed judge a book by its cover, but a new interior will have to wait for the next generation....
See this is a fair assessment. I wish the GS did have a power trunk. I am unsure why it doesn't have the 8 speed and the IS/RX F-sport does. The GS exterior is not for everyone. Etc etc.

I am not arguing the car is perfect. It just is the sportiest car in class. It also is meeting sales targets.

So no matter what the people that don't like the GS have to say, they didn't buy it and gasp, we did, and we are happy. 4GS owners seem to be a pretty cool group, they are happy with their purchase and many are CONQUEST sales.
Old 01-11-13, 03:36 PM
LexFather

Its hilarious. When the 3GS sold 32k or so the first year not a peep was said. Not one. The GS has been the 3rd best selling in class most years.

I am truly unsure what the GS did to people, it is the most successful midsize sedan from Asia BY FAR and it has been sold consecutively since 1993 with no name changes or other crap.

The GS is the sportiest driving car in class. That used to be the big deal on the internet. Being the sportiest car was the main reason people bashed other cars and Lexus. Now that Lexus has built the sportiest car in class, these people have jumped on to other crap like looks and sales and any other argument to beat up the car. Suddenly its okay to be fluffy, to be not sporty b/c "that is what the market wants". Funny, Lexus did that for years and it was a huge internet problem. What kind of enthusiasts are these? Not applauding sport anymore and instead beating a car up for no fog lamps and tailamps. Hilarious

Time for some Glenlivet 21

Old 03-02-13, 02:28 PM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

February 2013 sales: 1,108

It's sad to me that the GS has dropped off after only one year and I blame it on Lexus poor marketing efforts. After a few months it seems they forgot to market the GS while they focused their marketing money on Lexus new ES/LS/RX. They should've continued pushing the GS strongly as it's one of their best reviewed cars in a long time (not counting the LFA). It seems they have a new commercial for the GS so maybe realized that they have to keep marketing their cars instead of only doing it around launch period.

When they launch the new IS, it would be sick if they had side marketing for both the GS and IS together as "big brother - small brother", the brand's 2 sporty cars. It would be neat to have their own campaign together.

I would be happy if they go back up 1,500 if climbing back to 2,000 units per month is too difficult.

Edit: I feel the same way about the CT... it needs to be pushed more.
Old 03-02-13, 02:45 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mordecai

It's sad to me that the GS has dropped off after only one year and I blame it on Lexus poor marketing efforts. After a few months it seems they forgot to market the GS while they focused their marketing money on Lexus new ES/LS/RX. They should've continued pushing the GS strongly as it's one of their best reviewed cars in a long time (not counting the LFA). It seems they have a new commercial for the GS so maybe realized that they have to keep marketing their cars instead of only doing it around launch period.

When they launch the new IS, it would be sick if they had side marketing for both the GS and IS together as "big brother - small brother", the brand's 2 sporty cars. It would be neat to have their own campaign together.

I would be happy if they go back up 1,500 if climbing back to 2,000 units per month is too difficult.

If you go to Lexusenthusiast.com you will see that Lexus is going to advertise the GS heavily again with the new IS.
Old 03-02-13, 03:12 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

The ES and RX are their bread and butter... Of course, the lack of incentives are also hurting the sales. Not to mention that the all new ES came out recently and it sure did take a few customers away. Some will argue that these are two different cars, but let's not get into that argument
Old 03-02-13, 03:28 PM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Rexus300
If you go to Lexusenthusiast.com you will see that Lexus is going to advertise the GS heavily again with the new IS.
Can you point to this article? I only saw the new GS ad, nothing about marketing the GS with the IS.
Old 03-02-13, 04:04 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can you point to this article? I only saw the new GS ad, nothing about marketing the GS with the IS.
Actually they are increasing incentives for the GS with the March Command Performance events along with the new ads.

http://www.yourlexusdealer.com/Detroit/GS/index.html
Old 03-02-13, 06:53 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have to admit I am surprised at the slow sales of the 4GS with all the great reviews it has received. It has becomes sportier but less popular. Who would have thunk that.
Old 03-02-13, 07:01 PM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

They aimed for 24k for the 12 month period. Lets see how many they got.
February 2396
March 2558
April 2006
May 1996
June 2020
July 1662
August 1831
September 1454
October 1521
November 1826
December 2796
January (13) 1099

23,165, slightly below target but very close to target. Started out the gate strong, sold under 2k units and had a super December. January was horrid.
Old 03-02-13, 07:06 PM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
I have to admit I am surprised at the slow sales of the 4GS with all the great reviews it has received. It has becomes sportier but less popular. Who would have thunk that.
I think that's due to some 3GS owners not wanting purchase. Looking or hoping for something better.
Old 03-03-13, 07:13 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bigblack06
I think that's due to some 3GS owners not wanting purchase. Looking or hoping for something better.
I've had the opportunity to be around the 4GS a lot the last 3 weeks and have come to appreciate its looks more. I see the front as aggressive but its aggressiveness brings even more attention to the less dynamic rest of the car. But it's the drive, quality and technology that are winning me over. Put a body kit on it and I could see myself in one.

As great as the car is, it should be flying out the door. The car should be doubling projected sales. I believe its looks are holding it back. It is attractive....but not enough for the masses.

I also believe Lexus hard-headedness over horsepower is holding it back. The other cars in this segment boast big power. Although sufficient for getting the job done, 306 hp doesn't compete on paper and with bragging rights. It's enough for me though.
Old 03-03-13, 07:31 AM
CincyBrad
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Winter months are always slow, not a shock there.

I noticed when I was looking for mine, dealers in my region don't have a lot of stock of the GS. In fact, the car I bought had to be brought in from a dealer 150 miles away via flat bed. I would guess they had less than 5-8 total in stock, and of that only 3 colors available. Both of the dealers here are pretty large to, they had tons of RX and ES, not so much on GS or LS models.
Old 03-03-13, 07:49 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
I've had the opportunity to be around the 4GS a lot the last 3 weeks and have come to appreciate its looks more. I see the front as aggressive but its aggressiveness brings even more attention to the less dynamic rest of the car. But it's the drive, quality and technology that are winning me over. Put a body kit on it and I could see myself in one.

As great as the car is, it should be flying out the door. The car should be doubling projected sales. I believe its looks are holding it back. It is attractive....but not enough for the masses.

I also believe Lexus hard-headedness over horsepower is holding it back. The other cars in this segment boast big power. Although sufficient for getting the job done, 306 hp doesn't compete on paper and with bragging rights. It's enough for me though.

I agree the styling isn't great.Especially the side design and Sonata rear.
What sold me was the interior and drive ride and handling and of course reliability and again,the interior..
Yes to appeal to more,the GS does need 40-50 more HP and more Tq but it's no slug but 306 HP number does sound weak to many potential buyers with a $60K price tag.
The GS needs a 0-60 5,2- 5.1 seconds to make it more interesting.AS does the 5.7 0-60 Lexus advertises.
I think the GS mid cycle refresh model will be very interesting.
Old 03-03-13, 02:19 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I agree the styling isn't great.Especially the side design and Sonata rear.
What sold me was the interior and drive ride and handling and of course reliability and again,the interior..
Yes to appeal to more,the GS does need 40-50 more HP and more Tq but it's no slug but 306 HP number does sound weak to many potential buyers with a $60K price tag.
The GS needs a 0-60 5,2- 5.1 seconds to make it more interesting.AS does the 5.7 0-60 Lexus advertises.
I think the GS mid cycle refresh model will be very interesting.
Usually, Lexus intracycle refreshes are only front and rear facia tweaks. Nothing that dramatically changes the car. Lets hope Lexus sees this thread and tweaks the power up a bit. At least 20 hp, does something to the rear to bring more flair and up the tech a bit. I already heard there are added apps coming soon to the econnect system in a few weeks.
Old 03-03-13, 02:52 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

there are no commercials... no type of advertising. in the beginning yeah... but not enough to garner a consumers attention that's sitting there watching TV or picking up a magazine or driving and seeing a billboard. visual stimulation, subliminal messages in ads are what catches your attention the most. i see more LS commercials (even though it's the same one every time) in the last week than i saw GS commercials and the GS has been on the street for over a year. the car practically sells itself once you get in and drive it but people who are not aware of how good this car is need to see it and maybe when they're driving and see a Lexus dealer they'll remember the commercial or the article or the billboard and stop in to check it out. plus the ES and RX as we all know are swallowing (no pun intended) all the sales. advertising and promotion... they need more of it. i never considered the 2013 GS until i saw a sneak peek pic in 2011, and then i saw the Super Bowl commercial and i was sold. that said... this car is by far is no flop.

Last edited by sydtoosic; 03-03-13 at 02:56 PM.

Quick Reply: So much for predictions of the 4GS being a flop