GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

So much for predictions of the 4GS being a flop

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-12, 03:09 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by TF109B
Why set the benchmark high then end up failing to reach that number? That's stupid logic. And saying they set the bar low so beating it is for PR is just as stupid IMO.
i dont quite understand the comment :-).

Who is setting the bar high or low? Their 600 per month is expectation over the life of vehicle, not just first month... and in Japan, a lot of people rush to buy vehicle in the first few months when it is hot.

6000 is not an benchmark, it is literal number of orders they got for 250 and 350 models... GS450h is not included.
Old 03-03-12, 04:03 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

What am I missing? Sales of the GS went up by 300 units. "Pre Order" sales don't mean a damn thing until money changes hands and the cars are delivered. I've seen this many times where there is an initial hype, but then as reality sets in a lot of folks back out and and things settle down.

I have no doubt the GS will sell a lot more than it has, but that's not really saying much. And I don't mean this a doom and gloom - I just don't think we know what reality is yet.
Old 03-04-12, 05:52 PM
LexFather

Internet GS sales posts-

-GS NEVER SOLD WELL (uhhh it sold 3rd best in class most years for over a decade)
-GS WILL NEVER SELL LIKE 5/E (uhhhh Lexus knows this, has a much lower sales target)
-GS SOLD LIKE CRAP AT ITS END (uhhhh, you never mention when it sells well)
-GS ONLY SELLING WELL CAUSE ITS NEW (uhhh, shouldn't new cars sell well out the gate)

The GS is by far the best selling, most award winning and most revered Asian luxury sport sedan since 1993. Its not perfect, its had great years, its had some poor years and its here better than ever in regards to technology and the drive and the questionable areas are in regards to the style and V-8 being dropped.

It also debuted the worlds first luxury sport hybrid which the class has followed. The GS also has the largest and most active enthusiast base BY FAR compared to any other luxury midsize sedan from Asia. Not sure why it seems to be an issue with people.

What we have seen in its first month is the GS outselling the last model and completely obliterating the M37/56, A6, etc anything not 5/E.

Maybe some of you need to find the A6 & M37/56 forums and tell them about sales
Old 03-04-12, 07:50 PM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the GS will sell even more in the coming months. I am not 100% sure, but I believe first couple of months of release is staggered, and we'll see availability of the GS increase. If Lexus continues to market the new GS well, invites more people into the showroom and they actually test drives the beast, we'll see more conquests from other brands. Some more extensive comparos should also help, as the GS will be very competitive against other brands, less the usual anti-Lexus bias strikes again.
Old 03-04-12, 08:32 PM
Arcadian
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Waiting for the snow to melt before test drive, but as someone who hated the looks of the prototype, the real thing is growing on me. I still wish it were more distinctive in the way the second-gen was. However, having seen it on the street and at the dealer, it's got presence, it looks fast, expensive and high quality. Today I sat in it at our local auto show and after a walk-around I would say it owes more to the second-gen than the third. in fact, it's like the 3rd gen car never existed.
Old 03-05-12, 03:49 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Arcadian
Today I sat in it at our local auto show and after a walk-around I would say it owes more to the second-gen than the third. in fact, it's like the 3rd gen car never existed.
I think the 4GS is more a descendant of the 1GS....skipping both 2 and 3.
The mono headlights, the bland side profile, taller roof....looks like it went right pass the 2 middle models.

On another note, I'm surprised I've seen only one on the road after a month of availability.
Old 03-05-12, 07:45 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Today I sat in it at our local auto show and after a walk-around I would say it owes more to the second-gen than the third. in fact, it's like the 3rd gen car never existed.

This is music to my ears. Looks like the 4GS is the true spiritual descendant pf the 2GS - which is what I've always been hoping for.

Here's hoping it re-ignites the excitement and passion about the Lexus brand like the 2GS so successfully did.
Old 03-05-12, 06:48 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Waiting for the snow to melt before test drive, but as someone who hated the looks of the prototype, the real thing is growing on me. I still wish it were more distinctive in the way the second-gen was. However, having seen it on the street and at the dealer, it's got presence, it looks fast, expensive and high quality. Today I sat in it at our local auto show and after a walk-around I would say it owes more to the second-gen than the third. in fact, it's like the 3rd gen car never existed.
Great assessment. In my mind, the 3rd gen GS didn't exist. I had two 2nd gen GS's. I liked the styling of the 3rd gen GS, but one test drive and a look at that interior was all it took to know I would be skipping a generation. Good to see Lexus back on track!
Old 03-05-12, 08:31 PM
LexFather

I think we should calm down with some of the exaggerated 3GS claims b/c many 3GS owners wouldn't begin to consider the 4GS based on looks alone. No quad lamps, loss of fastback profile etc etc. Different strokes for different folks.

I loved the 1GS, the 2GS, the 3GS and the 4GS is the first one I'm still warming up too.
Old 03-05-12, 08:46 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,371 Likes on 1,556 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I think we should calm down with some of the exaggerated 3GS claims ...
but i've told you a million times, exaggeration is what the interweb is for.
Old 03-06-12, 12:41 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
but i've told you a million times, exaggeration is what the interweb is for.
and it goes both ways
Old 03-06-12, 02:53 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think we should calm down with some of the exaggerated 3GS claims b/c many 3GS owners wouldn't begin to consider the 4GS based on looks alone. No quad lamps, loss of fastback profile etc etc. Different strokes for different folks.

I loved the 1GS, the 2GS, the 3GS and the 4GS is the first one I'm still warming up too.
Personally, I don't mind people ragging on the 3GS. Unlike many, I actually prefer respectful criticism. When it goes overboard, it's an indication of irrational thoughts and credibility is lost. All of us get irrational sometimes. Passion will do that and we love cars. It's all good as long as it's respectful.
Old 03-06-12, 05:00 AM
LexFather

smh.....@titanic
Old 03-06-12, 05:02 AM
js619858
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually hate the 2GS and 3GS and feel the 4GS is way better looking inside and out!
Old 03-06-12, 09:00 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Calming down works both ways, including the exaggerated 4GS claims when there are members in the 4GS forum who own them or have them on order. There is also a 3GS forum to discuss how ugly and bland the 4GS is and how the 3GS is the best Lexus ever.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ml#post7039791

Quick Reply: So much for predictions of the 4GS being a flop