GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

So much for predictions of the 4GS being a flop

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-12, 08:04 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by dseag2
Calming down works both ways, including the exaggerated 4GS claims when there are members in the 4GS forum who own them or have them on order. There is also a 3GS forum to discuss how ugly and bland the 4GS is and how the 3GS is the best Lexus ever.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ml#post7039791
Which I clearly explained in that thread.

Anywho, if Lexus can stay around 2k units a month they will be extremely happy as the goal is 24k a year. GS 450h sales are predicted to be 10% of sales so I wouldn't expect a huge jump in May, its a low volume car and even with gas prices rising I don't see a huge demand for a 55k-65k car even if it gets 31MPG.

If Lexus offered a GS coupe and an entry level GS 300h or something I don't see why they couldn't hit 3k a month in sales.
Old 03-08-12, 03:50 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Anywho, if Lexus can stay around 2k units a month they will be extremely happy as the goal is 24k a year. GS 450h sales are predicted to be 10% of sales so I wouldn't expect a huge jump in May, its a low volume car and even with gas prices rising I don't see a huge demand for a 55k-65k car even if it gets 31MPG.

If Lexus offered a GS coupe and an entry level GS 300h or something I don't see why they couldn't hit 3k a month in sales.
Are you quoting that goal of 24K units a year or is that speculation?
Old 03-08-12, 04:49 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is what Lexus. 24k a year
Old 03-08-12, 04:49 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

That is what Lexus said. 24k a year
Old 03-08-12, 05:04 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

if they did offer lower end models like GS300h, their sales would certainly jump... do it lexus!
Old 03-08-12, 07:57 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Not even 3k, more likely near 4k a month to be honest. But that will kill the ES sales big time. Which brings me to point out that the ES is redundant and should be killed off completely. Then Lexus can make a nice coupe sedan above the GS that sits between the GS and LS and then make the IS with more engine options. They sell a GS250 in Europe and Asia and I believe that will do well here with the 528i and the A6 2.0T sedans. But Lexus is stuck with their old school thoughts of only 1 or 2 engines and that's end of story. Not a way to go anymore to get more sales.
Old 03-10-12, 09:22 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Rexus300
Not even 3k, more likely near 4k a month to be honest. But that will kill the ES sales big time. Which brings me to point out that the ES is redundant and should be killed off completely. Then Lexus can make a nice coupe sedan above the GS that sits between the GS and LS and then make the IS with more engine options. They sell a GS250 in Europe and Asia and I believe that will do well here with the 528i and the A6 2.0T sedans. But Lexus is stuck with their old school thoughts of only 1 or 2 engines and that's end of story. Not a way to go anymore to get more sales.
Agreed.
Old 03-11-12, 04:08 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Don't agree having more options would kill the ES. Every Benz has 2 or 3 engine choices and t doesn't hurt the entry level c-class. Even the c-class has 3 choices...actually 4 and it's alive and well. Every Bimmer has at least 2, some 3. But the entry levels are strong or stronger than the top models. The ES is a necessary model to the brand. Period. I believe the ES and GX are the top sellers, closely followed by the IS250. I'm judging by what I see on the road so someone will have to verify my guesses.

I truly believe Lexus would get back to #1 if they had more choices for all the models. If you give people the power and choices the Germans give but with more relaibility and lower price, they will come running.
Old 03-11-12, 07:04 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

ES is more successful car than GS, and only possible choice here could be to kill GS and not ES. But of course there is no reason to kill any car, they are very different models.
Old 03-11-12, 09:41 AM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
Don't agree having more options would kill the ES. Every Benz has 2 or 3 engine choices and t doesn't hurt the entry level c-class. Even the c-class has 3 choices...actually 4 and it's alive and well. Every Bimmer has at least 2, some 3. But the entry levels are strong or stronger than the top models. The ES is a necessary model to the brand. Period. I believe the ES and GX are the top sellers, closely followed by the IS250. I'm judging by what I see on the road so someone will have to verify my guesses.

I truly believe Lexus would get back to #1 if they had more choices for all the models. If you give people the power and choices the Germans give but with more relaibility and lower price, they will come running.

No, the RX is the top seller for Lexus. I'm sure the ES is up there. And that speaks to the argument about the challenge Lexus has in not selling as many of the high-profit, expensive models as BMW or Mercedes. It is selling mostly RX's and ES's. Seems to me that makes for a good argument to focus on continuing to fine-tune the GS and LS and make them more competitive. (Which is what they seem to be doing.)

If I look at your analogy, the IS should be the entry class, competitive with the 3 Series or C Class.

3 Series = C Class = A4 = IS
5 Series = E Class = A6 = GS
7 Serieis = S Class = A8 = LS

It is ultimately Lexus's decision to focus on what makes sense for them, not ours, but if Lexus is going to become a serious player within the segment listed above killing off the GS wouldn't have helped. I'm sure the ES brings people into the Lexus fold, but it would be interesting to see how many people actually move up from that model.
Old 03-13-12, 10:56 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
from lexusenthusiast.com

Some posters predicted that 4GS sales would be underwhelming, contrary to my own expectations. I know that's it still too early to gauge longterm sales success and this is only in Japan but the 4GS has gotten off to a strong start in its home country.

It would be interesting to :

1) compare this to the initial pre-orders of the 3GS in Japan
2) see the pre-orders for Lexus USA (the biggest market for Lexus)

Looks like the US loves the new GS as much as Japan.
Originally Posted by GS69

Rising gas prices brought shoppers back toward fuel-efficient small cars and hybrids, with the hot-selling Toyota Prius — up a staggering 52% in February sales — taking just nine days to turn. The Prius is EPA-rated at up to 51 mpg, but four other cars with 40 mpg or better EPA ratings made this month's Movers list. Just 2 cars, the redesigned BMW 3 Series and Lexus GS, topped the Prius. The Volvo XC90 was the only anomaly. Despite light incentives, shoppers are snapping up the 10-year-old SUV.

Of January's top 10 movers, seven stayed in the mix. The Audi Q7 and Porsche Cayenne slipped below our minimum transaction threshold, while the Land Rover Range Rover fell to 27 days. That's still better than February's average, which was 39 days to turn — a slowdown from January's 34 days but far less than February 2011's 47 days.

As we reported earlier, Super Bowl ads may have boosted sales for certain automakers. How did they influence the speed at which cars moved off lots? It's hard to tell. Lexus' poorly rated GS commercial didn't slow buyers from snatching up the redesigned sport sedan, but midpack spots for the Chevrolet Sonic hatch and Camaro convertible left those cars, well, in the middle. Well-rated commercials for the Hyundai Veloster and Honda CR-V may have boosted interest — both cars were February Movers — but Fiat's 500 Abarth commercial, rated among the top 10 in USA Today's Ad Meter, did little to hasten the 500's pace. Hatchback versions averaged 91 days to move off dealership lots in February, while the 500C convertible took 99 days.

The 500C was 1 of 4 convertibles on the Losers list — unsurprising, given spring is still more than a week off. Other notable duds include hybrid versions of the Volkswagen Touareg and Infiniti M. Blame low supplies: Cars.com has just 218 M35h and 83 Touareg Hybrid models in national new-car inventory. Too few of them exist, and the ones in stock evidently command little interest.
Movers

2012 BMW 328i sedan: 7 days
2013 Lexus GS 350: 8 days
2012 Toyota Prius: 9 days
2012 Honda CR-V: 10 days
2012 Hyundai Elantra sedan: 10 days
2012 Hyundai Veloster: 10 days
2012 Subaru Impreza hatchback: 10 days
2013 Volvo XC90: 10 days
2012 Honda Pilot: 11 days
2012 Audi Q5: 12 days
2012 BMW X3: 12 days
2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid: 12 days
2012 Toyota 4Runner: 12 days
2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid: 12 days
2012 Land Rover Range Rover Evoque: 13 days
2012 Subaru Impreza sedan: 13 days
2012 BMW 535i xDrive sedan: 14 days
2012 Kia Soul: 14 days
2012 Toyota RAV4: 14 days

Losers

2012 BMW X6 M: 114 days
2012 BMW 650i convertible: 111 days
2012 Volkswagen Touareg Hybrid: 104 days
2012 Porsche 911 convertible*: 104 days
2012 Fiat 500C convertible: 99 days
2012 Infiniti M35h hybrid: 98 days
2012 BMW 135i convertible: 96 days
2012 Infiniti EX35: 93 days
2012 Fiat 500 hatchback: 91 days
2012 Nissan NV cargo van: 89 days

Cars.com Picks

2012 Volvo S60: 51 days
2012 Ford Mustang coupe: 53 days
2012 Cadillac CTS sedan: 60 days
2012 Dodge Durango: 60 days
2012 Mazda CX-9: 64 days
2012 Nissan Altima sedan: 72 days
2012 Mazda3 sedan: 76 days
*We should note the Porsche 911 includes the outgoing car (the 997, to Porsche enthusiasts) and redesigned (991) versions among its 2012 models. It's hard to quantify just how many 997s are slowing the car's sales pace, but either way, the 911 ranks at the bottom.

About the Lists

The Movers and Losers list reports the average number of days it takes to sell models from the day they arrive on the lot until the final paperwork is signed by a buyer. This is not a days-of-inventory list like you may find on other websites. We're now focusing on only 2012 and, where available, 2013 model years.

For Movers, we only list vehicles that pass a certain threshold of sales in order to weed out limited editions, ultra-high-performance cars and others that might skew the numbers or otherwise inaccurately portray popularity. For Losers, we have removed any threshold to reflect 2011 models that may have the greatest incentives.

I guess everyone recognizes great value no matter which country you're in. A good car is a good car is a good car. Let's see if sales can be maintained throughout the year.
Old 03-13-12, 11:16 AM
Johnwang12
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if wheelbase is used, then GS = 3 series = G37
IS = 1 series..

proberbly lexus will need a car between GS and LS...
Old 03-13-12, 11:38 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Not really, the new GS is comparable interior volume-wise to the 5 series/E class/A6.

Don't let wheelbase fool you. The 3rd Generation GS had a longer wheelbase than the 2nd Generation GS and let me tell you from personal experience : the 2nd Gen GS is more spacious BY FAR than the 3rd Gen GS.

Interior space is much more dependant on packaging, shoulder/hip space/cabin height etc than just wheelbase.
Old 03-13-12, 12:11 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
Not really, the new GS is comparable interior volume-wise to the 5 series/E class/A6.

Don't let wheelbase fool you. The 3rd Generation GS had a longer wheelbase than the 2nd Generation GS and let me tell you from personal experience : the 2nd Gen GS is more spacious BY FAR than the 3rd Gen GS.

Interior space is much more dependant on packaging, shoulder/hip space/cabin height etc than just wheelbase.
totally agreed. the 2gs cabin and trunk space is enormous. the cabin and trunk space of 4gs is definitely on par with 5 and e
Old 03-13-12, 01:14 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dseag2
No, the RX is the top seller for Lexus. I'm sure the ES is up there. And that speaks to the argument about the challenge Lexus has in not selling as many of the high-profit, expensive models as BMW or Mercedes. It is selling mostly RX's and ES's. Seems to me that makes for a good argument to focus on continuing to fine-tune the GS and LS and make them more competitive. (Which is what they seem to be doing.)

If I look at your analogy, the IS should be the entry class, competitive with the 3 Series or C Class.

3 Series = C Class = A4 = IS
5 Series = E Class = A6 = GS
7 Serieis = S Class = A8 = LS

It is ultimately Lexus's decision to focus on what makes sense for them, not ours, but if Lexus is going to become a serious player within the segment listed above killing off the GS wouldn't have helped. I'm sure the ES brings people into the Lexus fold, but it would be interesting to see how many people actually move up from that model.
I meant to say RX.

Quick Reply: So much for predictions of the 4GS being a flop