GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

LDH, DRS and aftermarket parts

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-12, 10:20 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LDH, DRS and aftermarket parts

The GS 350 with F SPORT package will offer an optional Lexus Dynamic Handling (LDH) system with Dynamic Rear Steering (DRS). This newly developed, leading edge platform technology offers Lexus’ first integration of DRS; Electric Power Steering; and Variable Gear Ratio Steering (VGRS). Monitoring vehicle speed, steering direction and driver inputs, the system calculates the optimum angle for all four wheels. Using VGRS in the front and DRS in the rear, the system can independently manage both front and rear wheel steering angles to help improve turn-in response, rear grip, vehicle control and overall agility when cornering.
Theoretically; Will the DRS LDH system be affected by swaping out the suspension parts? or if (god forbid) someone installs a supercharger into their car?

I mean from the brief description provided it sounds like it shouldnt, but if the system takes into account additional factors such weight distribution, yaw and pitch, suspension travel etc it could be problematic. I know that the system is designed to work on a stock car, but i am very interested in finding out exactly how things like suspension upgrades and power upgrades will affect the system and therefore the car's handling.

Thoughts?
Old 02-29-12, 10:32 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Think christmas lights on your speedo cluster. The electronics involved to control LDH w/DRS are pretty precise in regards to calculating vehicle speed, wheel rotation, steering angle and etc. Lowering the car slightly may not do much but doing an extreme drop changes all the variables and trip the system into limp home mode.
Old 02-29-12, 10:39 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

Originally Posted by flipside909
Think christmas lights on your speedo cluster. The electronics involved to control LDH w/DRS are pretty precise in regards to calculating vehicle speed, wheel rotation, steering angle and etc. Lowering the car slightly may not do much but doing an extreme drop changes all the variables and trip the system into limp home mode.
That sucks, Thats exactly what i was scared about. I was really excited about this DRS system. I hope your wrong though, and the lex engineers took into account that a small percentage of their car owners will modify the suspention (yea right!!!!!)
Old 03-01-12, 12:33 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

the DRS steer the rear wheels according to speed right? if so i don't know what suspension geometry would have effect on. but then again i don't think anyone has solid proof on what will happen. looking at current lexus with all the vdim systems, people modify suspensions big time and no warning lights

fwiw, nissan gtr way back in the days it had rear wheel steer already, i am sure you can imagine how crazy people mod that cars into.
Old 03-01-12, 05:44 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
the DRS steer the rear wheels according to speed right? if so i don't know what suspension geometry would have effect on. but then again i don't think anyone has solid proof on what will happen. looking at current lexus with all the vdim systems, people modify suspensions big time and no warning lights

fwiw, nissan gtr way back in the days it had rear wheel steer already, i am sure you can imagine how crazy people mod that cars into.
i think you might be right... now only the question if aftermarket companies will design their suspension parts for that 4GS.
Old 03-01-12, 05:59 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl

DRS operates based on front steering angle and speed. Below 35mph, the rear wheels turn against the front wheels, anything above, the rear wheels turn the same direction of the front, up to a 2 degree variance.

Depending on how low you lower a car, it certainly does affect the longevity of other components. Most haven't had their car long enough to experience problems. Remember 2nd Gen GS and the problematic front ball joints? Most people that have ball joint issues are from those with modified suspensions.

It's obvious no one has solid proof on what will happen because no one has done it yet. Since there isn't any Lexus model out there with LDH w/DRS, we'll have to see what happens. If I were to get a 4th gen GS and had intentions to modifiy it, I would get a non LDH/DRS car. Then I won't have to worry about replacing a failed rear steering rack later down the road. For those looking to install coilovers on a 4th Gen GS w/F Sport or Luxury Package (Sport +), you totally defeated the ability of Sport + as you lose controls the shock dampening but will only gain the quicker steering response.

Last edited by flipside909; 03-01-12 at 06:02 AM.
Old 03-01-12, 08:44 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by flipside909
DRS operates based on front steering angle and speed. Below 35mph, the rear wheels turn against the front wheels, anything above, the rear wheels turn the same direction of the front, up to a 2 degree variance.

Depending on how low you lower a car, it certainly does affect the longevity of other components. Most haven't had their car long enough to experience problems. Remember 2nd Gen GS and the problematic front ball joints? Most people that have ball joint issues are from those with modified suspensions.

It's obvious no one has solid proof on what will happen because no one has done it yet. Since there isn't any Lexus model out there with LDH w/DRS, we'll have to see what happens. If I were to get a 4th gen GS and had intentions to modifiy it, I would get a non LDH/DRS car. Then I won't have to worry about replacing a failed rear steering rack later down the road. For those looking to install coilovers on a 4th Gen GS w/F Sport or Luxury Package (Sport +), you totally defeated the ability of Sport + as you lose controls the shock dampening but will only gain the quicker steering response.
i absolutely agree on the tear. when you put more stress on the suspension it will have more wear for sure. no need to look far, just look at stuff like sway bars. you put thicker ones and you put more stress on end links and in some case even the bracket holders.

i was mainly talking about from an operation point of view. if the DRS operates off front steering angle and speed, then lowering a car shouldn't have much effect, thus the system failure lights on the dash. now over time the wear on the system, that's a different story and that's inherent risks people take when modding cars anyway, not just on DRS
Old 03-01-12, 08:45 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by spwolf
i think you might be right... now only the question if aftermarket companies will design their suspension parts for that 4GS.
especially given the driving dynamics of the 4gs, i think it would be silly if aftermarket companies don't work hard to come out with aftermarket parts
Old 03-02-12, 04:51 AM
ndk83
Pole Position

Im more worried about driving dynamics than i am wear and tear which would happen regardless when u lower a vehcile. Time will tell, i am very interested to see results once suspension parts start coming in.

the new GS is itchin for a drop. For sure tuning companies are hard at work developing parts as we speak. Im very excited....