GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

What made you guys pick the new GS over it's competitors: E-class and 5-series

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-12, 03:32 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I think people that did not buy the car should be respectful and not post so the O.P and others can get good information without having to sift throught tons of opinions not related to the question. Like my post

Well here are first month results and your guesses are not on par with results. So we see 3 things
1. F-sport is a significant share
2. Buyers are conquest buyers
3. Buyers are younger

There is no way BMW/Benz is worried about the GS and Lexus is not trying to overthrow their sales. Lexus wants 24k a year. Well after the first month they are on pace to exceed that. Very early but no GS 450h sales yet.

What is clear is this
5/E way up top
GS is the solid 3rd choice
Everyone else, around 1k a month or below.
It does not say where those conquest buyers come from does it? Read my post and I was pretty specific that I don't see them coming from like cars from Germany. No question I could be wrong, that's what forum discussions are all about. But let's give it some time to let the pent up demand pass and see what happens six months and a year down the road.
Old 03-01-12, 03:39 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Let's see. The GS350 beats the Germans at their own handling game, is just as luxurious and is cheaper and more reliable to boot. Logic would dictate that some/large proportion of the conquest buyers would come from MB/BMW.

The only unknown would be the badge-snob factor which is very real.
Old 03-01-12, 04:02 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by jjscsix
It does not say where those conquest buyers come from does it? Read my post and I was pretty specific that I don't see them coming from like cars from Germany. No question I could be wrong, that's what forum discussions are all about. But let's give it some time to let the pent up demand pass and see what happens six months and a year down the road.
well 6 months from now, there will be GS450h to bring up the numbers, more stock means more discounts, so it bodes well for GS... we will see what happens in 3 years when new competitors arrive.
Old 03-01-12, 07:03 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

One conquest factor we have not discussed is how many current GS owners will defect? I will likely be one of them. I admit that my reasons are not straightforward, but as I've said in other threads, the lack of more power is a definite problem for me. If they offered a 400 hp engine as most direct competitors do, and at a reasonable upcharge from the 350 there is a fair chance I'd stay with the Lexus. Right now I'd give the odds of me getting a new one about 3%.
Old 03-01-12, 07:04 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,465 Likes on 1,617 Posts

Originally Posted by s4play
My wife went to go test drive one and she was not impressed at all. She loved the old 2nd Gen GS we had many years ago and although the cabin is pretty nice, it’s not nearly as nice as a BMW 550i or E550 sport.
as the cabin of the 4GS has been almost universally praised, can you say what you or your wife thought was nicer about the bmw/mb interiors?

I told her we’ll just have to wait for the true GS-F to come out and make a decision but right now she’s leaning on the Mercedes E63 AMG.
haha, sure she wasn't sold on performance, vs. the interior? a loaded up E63 is probably what, 90k or more, so not exactly comparable.

Been patiently asking my inside sources and waiting for info on the GS-F but so far nothing but disappointment. The new M5 allocation is available in mid April but to be honest, I’d rather buy the GS-F for similar money. Guess I’ll wait a few more months and see what happens.
well, lexus has really given NO indication there will be a gs-f and if there is one, i wouldn't expect to see it for a year or more.

Originally Posted by Rexus300
Amazing! I am sure Lexus will pass 2,500 per month on the GS after this month no doubt!
i'd say that's speculation at best. the first month included 'pent up demand' but may also have been supply limited i don't know, so could go either way. hopefully up though!
Old 03-01-12, 07:35 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I guess I cross the lines between German and Japanese, so no particular loyalty there. I owned an Audi A6 in 2000, 5 Lexuses from 2001-2007, then hopped over to Infiniti for the perfomance and handling for a few years, then went to an '09 Audi A5 for the looks of it alone, followed by a '10 S5 Cab and now an '11 S5 Cab. I've come to really appreciate the German feel, and now that Lexus has introduced it in the GS, along with almost guaranteed reliability, I have the best of both worlds.

The Mercedes E-Class looks really don't appeal to me, and adding all the packages to a 535i makes it considerably more expensive than the GS. Since I was looking for something more practical, if anything I would have looked at an Audi A6, but I find it pretty boring inside and out.

That was my reason for choosing the GS F-Sport.
Old 03-03-12, 02:54 PM
jdk9341
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just out of curiosity, what's not to like?

Standard with
Enform 2.0 (iHeart Radio, Pandora, Bing, Facebook, etc.)
Lexus 5th Gen. Navigation (XM App. suite standard for 3 months)
SOS Safety Connect
Bluetooth Phone and Audio
Blndspot Monitoring system
... and much more.

Available Rear Adaptive Stearing

That being said, where does E350 and 535i compare???

Neither of them come with all of this, not to mention the performance features that the GS has.
Having track experience... the GS is the way to go! Stop speculating... just go on a test drive.
Old 03-03-12, 08:30 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

For what it's worth, let me just quote fellow CL poster jman-is350 :

Originally Posted by jman-is350
Two different type of car, we just got a 13 GSFsport and we love it. It beats my 2010 E63 in handling and interior is so much more luxurious. You need to drive the two cars for yourself and only you can answer which one is the right one for you. GL and you cant go wrong between the two cars.
Keep in mind jman-is350 is talking about a $80K E63 AMG .

His post here :
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/7060243-post2.html

Last edited by natnut; 03-04-12 at 03:38 AM.
Old 03-04-12, 12:13 AM
faifai83
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

After attending the GS Performance tour, the answer is pretty obvious: GS>5>E
Old 03-06-12, 12:48 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by jdk9341
Just out of curiosity, what's not to like?

Standard with
Enform 2.0 (iHeart Radio, Pandora, Bing, Facebook, etc.)
Lexus 5th Gen. Navigation (XM App. suite standard for 3 months)
SOS Safety Connect
Bluetooth Phone and Audio
Blndspot Monitoring system
... and much more.

Available Rear Adaptive Stearing

That being said, where does E350 and 535i compare???

Neither of them come with all of this, not to mention the performance features that the GS has.
Having track experience... the GS is the way to go! Stop speculating... just go on a test drive.
gen5 was 07-09
gen6 was 10-11

i don't know if the 2013 gs is gen6+ or gen7, but for sure not gen5

i do agree the new gs has a lot of cool features though. but as i always say, flip the coin, there are also bunch of stuff on the e and 5 that you can't get in the gs
Old 03-07-12, 09:11 AM
neilsarkar
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i do agree the new gs has a lot of cool features though. but as i always say, flip the coin, there are also bunch of stuff on the e and 5 that you can't get in the gs
I am not too familiar with E-class (apart from the fact that standard MB-Tex does not feel or smell like leather; and does not belong to these class of cars), but 5er does have some gadgets you cannot get in 4GS:

1. Power folding mirror (very useful in my garage)
2. Soft-close door lock
3. Power trunk closer
4. Active front seat
5. Automatic parking assistant
6. Side and top view camera (really useful for parking in tight spot)
7. Rear-seat entertainment (who uses them in the age of iPads?)
8. Can combine M-sport package and luxury features (in 4GS, it's F-Sport or luxury package)

However, looking at packages and options of 5er, it's amazing (or perhaps not) to note that most of the extra-cost options (e.g. keyless entry, heated seat, XM radio) of 5er is standard in 4GS . If you add all the packages/options in 535i, you can easily cross $75k, whereas 4GS maxes out at $62k. And you'd get Lexus reliability thrown in for free .

Now only if Lexus would allow buyers to custom-order as easily as BMW does [wishful thinking].
Old 03-07-12, 09:20 AM
neilsarkar
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by faifai83
After attending the GS Performance tour, the answer is pretty obvious: GS>5>E
IMO, E-class was definitely a notch below the other two. Even my wife, who is not an enthusiast, noted that. I really liked the driving feel of GS and 5. Ironically, GS had a heavier steering compared to 5 (both were in normal/comfort mode), which I really liked. GS's interior was of higher quality. I do not know what will happen if you equip a 5 with nappa leather($1000) and ceramic control ($600). As they say, with BMW, you have to pay even if you want door handles in your car
Old 03-07-12, 11:27 AM
Dryrunner
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

No one has mentioned the "H" model. I test drove the Genesis R Spec. Faster, bigger, just as much Tech and much less $$. I haven't tested the GS yet.
Old 03-07-12, 12:36 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
gen5 was 07-09
gen6 was 10-11

i don't know if the 2013 gs is gen6+ or gen7, but for sure not gen5

it is gen7.

finally. old Lexus multimedia systems could never compare... thankfully we have vaistech.
Old 03-08-12, 07:43 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by natnut
For what it's worth, let me just quote fellow CL poster jman-is350 :

Keep in mind jman-is350 is talking about a $80K E63 AMG .

His post here :
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/7060243-post2.html
Jman will be wanted for MURDER for making internet heads explode with this honest commentary

Originally Posted by jman-is350
Two different type of car, we just got a 13 GSFsport and we love it. It beats my 2010 E63 in handling and interior is so much more luxurious. You need to drive the two cars for yourself and only you can answer which one is the right one for you. GL and you cant go wrong between the two cars.

Quick Reply: What made you guys pick the new GS over it's competitors: E-class and 5-series