GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Price thread - what kind of deal did you get?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-12, 09:23 PM
faifai83
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by mikec78
I posted this in another thread but I wanted to add it here as this is what I got (back in May 2012):

I think you can get a better deal now though this is what I paid:

$58,000 out the door with tax (CA) and license and EVERYTHING.

Color = Nebula Gray Pearl // Black interior

This is what I got:
F-Sport pkg = $5,690
Blind Spot Monitor = $500
Navigation Pkg = $1,735
Intuitive Park Assist = $500
Dynamic Handling System = $1,700 = LOVE THIS and yes it is worth it!!
Accy Pkg (trunk mat, cargo net, wheel locks) = $242
Delivery and fee = $875
TOTAL = $58,142

BUT I got it for $58,000 OTD Cash...(which turns out to be $53200 before tax and license)

I think I got a pretty good deal (at the time when there wasn't any rebates like now)...though I am sure people are (from what I see) getting better deals now...

I hope this helps...
Thanks for sharing. We should bring you cupcakes and sing Kumbaya!

Lexus had the Conquest offer back in March 2012 when I got my 4GS!
Old 11-02-12, 06:42 AM
gstois
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MJA1951
I have never leased a car, but when people who lease talk about how much they got off, rebates, etc, isn't the cost of the lease how much per month, how much actual cash up front and how much money at the end of the lease?

To me you can't compare discount off the price of a car purchase to a lease because all the discounting means nothing because you are talking apples and oranges here.
Sorry but you couldn't be more wrong. The mistake most people make when leasing is NOT negotiating the price. Think of a lease just like a purchase with a loan. The only difference is that you are not paying off the entire loan. You only pay it down to the residual. It's just a more complicated negotiation. Instead of just negotiating price, you have to look at the rate, residual, miles, price, etc.
Old 11-02-12, 08:38 AM
MJA1951
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree about all the negotiating, but in the end isn;t the bottom line how much it cost you to use (not own) the car for a specified period of time?

This is completely different from purchasing a car where one you buy it it is yours. No extra charge for miles, no fees at then end to re-conditioning the car (scratches, wear and tear, etc).

Like I said you are comparing apples and oranges to what kind of deal you got between buying and leasing. And most people have no idea what they really paid once the dealer gets done with add-ons, trade value, etc.

One example I love is when people tell me they traded in their old car and got a new one for no more money on their payment, completely ignoring that they are paying the same amount for many additional years. but if you hear them tell the story they got a new car to replace their old car for free
Old 11-02-12, 09:53 PM
gstois
Rookie

I agree about all the negotiating, but in the end isn;t the bottom line how much it cost you to use (not own) the car for a specified period of time?

This is completely different from purchasing a car where one you buy it it is yours. No extra charge for miles, no fees at then end to re-conditioning the car (scratches, wear and tear, etc).
You are right that they are different but you keep citing negatives about leasing as if buying a depreciating asset like a car is some great experience. What about the sales tax you don't pay on the residual (>$2,000 in CA). What about your pride and joy that gets rear-ended and the one you take a hit on due to the accident when you sell it because insurance doesn't pay for loss in value? What about trying to unload a 3 or 4 year-old luxury brand on the private market when most people can't qualify for a bank loan and would rather go to a dealership and buy a CPO with locked-in financing? Or the one you give up on and trade in for less than wholesale value? Compare that loss to the cost of a well-negotiated lease.

It's been said a million times before, leasing is terrific for people who know how to negotiate and especially those who qualify for a tax deduction.

Price is price no matter how long you keep the car. I agree that many people don't complete the picture and give the whole story, but it's not like buying a car is all that great.

Paying for cars is expensive - period.
Old 11-03-12, 07:34 AM
MJA1951
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with a lot of your points especially about once the car is damaged. But do they take that into consideration when you turn in the lease?

The point I was trying to make is that when people try to compare a great deal on a lease compared to purchasing, there really is no comparison, and for those who can write off the lease it's a added benefit.

My position has always been that if people couldn't get into leases, car prices would be much cheaper because they wouldn't be able to charge what they charge for cars if people had to put some of their own money down on cars and had to be responsible for the total price of the car.

You wouldn't see kids with such expensive cars because they could afford the monthly payment but would never be able to have them on a purchase
Old 11-03-12, 10:16 PM
Hrecsd
Driver School Candidate

I want to get the ES and I got an offer of $1000 off dealer invoice funky loaded with half off on window tinting, body molting and chrome wheels. Lease payment $492 for 27 months with 6 month extension for being a loyal customer (5 Lexus's in family) no cost maintenance . Good deal or not ? Want to buy but hubby thinks better deal out there? I am unsure. Any advice???
Old 11-03-12, 10:17 PM
Hrecsd
Driver School Candidate

Oops fully loaded body moldings darn auto correct!
Old 11-03-12, 10:18 PM
Hrecsd
Driver School Candidate

Oh yeah 9500 for 2005 ES with $4700 pay off rest down on lease
Father also says not good enough ! Yes no?
Old 11-03-12, 10:20 PM
Hrecsd
Driver School Candidate

FYI need help fast want to do transaction in next two days! Thanks!
Old 11-04-12, 06:31 PM
jaymk
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Can You give us the MSRP and the invoice, plus what is Your price?
Any added fees You wiil be paying?
That will help us determine how good of a deal You are getting.
Thank You.
Old 11-04-12, 08:29 PM
mso4
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

The point I was trying to make is that when people try to compare a great deal on a lease compared to purchasing, there really is no comparison, and for those who can write off the lease it's a added benefit.
I'm planning on keeping my car. But I didn't purchase it. I leased it.

The reason. Over the first three years, I pay about $2000 in interest on the lease. But I save about $8000 from deductions. At lease's end, I plan to buy out my lease. So for me I save about $6k going with the leasing route. Other benefits include the added gap insurance with leasing (compare to purchase financing).

And as someone pointed it out. My negotiation of this car is exactly the same as if I had purchased it. As a matter of fact, they assumed I was buying the car until they asked me, "so how do you want to pay for it?" Most people do not understand this last point. They start out talking about leasing payments.

Finally if you're planning on leasing the car. You should be able to calculate your monthly lease payment with a pen and calculator knowing the car's MSRP, negotiated price, money factor, residual value, and lease term. And fyi, my negotiated price was less than $52k on an mspr of $58k with no trade in, protections, insurance etc...
Old 11-06-12, 05:21 AM
gstois
Rookie

I agree with a lot of your points especially about once the car is damaged. But do they take that into consideration when you turn in the lease?

My position has always been that if people couldn't get into leases, car prices would be much cheaper because they wouldn't be able to charge what they charge for cars if people had to put some of their own money down on cars and had to be responsible for the total price of the car.

You wouldn't see kids with such expensive cars because they could afford the monthly payment but would never be able to have them on a purchase
My understanding is that in an accident you are just required to do the repairs. I completely agree about the economics of leasing propping up car prices. The luxury brands would have to figure out a way to bring the price down if people couldn't lease because so many people can't afford to own the cars they are driving.
Old 11-06-12, 08:56 PM
faifai83
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Hrecsd
I want to get the ES and I got an offer of $1000 off dealer invoice funky loaded with half off on window tinting, body molting and chrome wheels. Lease payment $492 for 27 months with 6 month extension for being a loyal customer (5 Lexus's in family) no cost maintenance . Good deal or not ? Want to buy but hubby thinks better deal out there? I am unsure. Any advice???
What is the dealer invoice?
What is the MSRP?
How much are the add-ons?
What is your money factor?
What is your lease acquisition fee?
Old 11-12-12, 07:44 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,237 Likes on 1,356 Posts

Trying to upload PDF for CL member RandallsGS
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old 11-12-12, 10:25 AM
RandallsGS
Rookie

Thanks to DaveGS4 for uploading my info. I've been trying to do this since I posted my car pics. I wanted to explain, before somebody beats me up, that I'm fully aware of the extra's I purchased for my car, (rubber mats & clear bra treatment). I made the decision to purchase those through the dealership & I know I could've got those items cheaper elsewhere. (Especially the clear bra!)

Bottom line, I haven't seen anybody specificially post what they did pay with info to back it up. I thought this might be helpful for those still shopping. Note, during my shopping time I negotiated actual invoice from different dealers so this CAN be done.

On a side note, if you have to order a car (like I did) be sure to get a date from dealership. Mine didn't have any idea, which I thought was disappointing. Overall, good experience thus far (I've NEVER owned a Lexus or Toyota). My only "concern" thus far...gas mileage. NOT nearly as good as my Acura's/Honda's.

Again, hope this helps everyone out.

I love this forum...lots of great info!!

Quick Reply: Price thread - what kind of deal did you get?