GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Sport mode

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-12, 05:56 AM
shikbas
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Sport mode

Hi ,I had the chance few days ago to test drive the car,without F sport,I played with the driving modes,I did not feel a diffrence with sport mode and economy and normal.Can somebuddy correct me please?
Old 03-05-12, 07:19 AM
faifai83
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by shikbas
Hi ,I had the chance few days ago to test drive the car,without F sport,I played with the driving modes,I did not feel a diffrence with sport mode and economy and normal.Can somebuddy correct me please?
Sport mode is supposed to provide crisper upshifts and higher rpm shifts.
Old 03-05-12, 07:40 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh - and it changes the gauge cluster lighting too! lol!

Jokes apart though, from Lexus.com

In ECO mode, a calming blue light surrounds the gauge cluster while the throttle response and engine power output are moderated for increased fuel efficiency. The climate settings are also optimized by periodically switching to recirculation mode to reduce ventilation loss and even using the heated seat function for more efficient warming.

Sport S mode changes the gauge cluster lighting to a fiery red and alters the powertrain for faster gear changes and more dynamic throttle mapping. Available Sport S+ mode goes a step further by also tightening the suspension and increasing steering response. In both modes, the transmission's shift points are automatically altered coming into and out of corners for sharper acceleration.
Old 03-05-12, 10:33 AM
Liferules
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I test drove, the eco mode was very noticeable. From normal to Sport, I did feel shifts occurred slower to give higher REMs. I honestly couldn't tell Sport from Sport+ but didn't really have opportunity to gun it given that it was a city street with some traffic...
Old 03-06-12, 08:30 AM
itruns
Driver

Default sport/sport plus

From what I understand Sport changes throttle response, trans shift points and slightly firms steering. Sports plus in addition stiffens up the suspension for firmer handling and stiffens the steering a bit more.... so unless you get a chance to drive a bit more aggressively you may not notice a lot of difference between the modes... esp. on a non-F Sport as a Lux model starts off softer and is softer in Sport plus than a F sport.... The rear steer models really show their stuff when you get a chance to toss it around some.

I want a rear steer F-Sport with the matte wood option, but we can not get it just yet… maybe next year…
Old 03-06-12, 11:21 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by itruns
From what I understand Sport changes throttle response, trans shift points and slightly firms steering. Sports plus in addition stiffens up the suspension for firmer handling and stiffens the steering a bit more.... so unless you get a chance to drive a bit more aggressively you may not notice a lot of difference between the modes... esp. on a non-F Sport as a Lux model starts off softer and is softer in Sport plus than a F sport.... The rear steer models really show their stuff when you get a chance to toss it around some.

I want a rear steer F-Sport with the matte wood option, but we can not get it just yet… maybe next year…
not true. regular gs with luxury package has the exact same suspension as the fsport. except the wheels maybe. putting it to s+ and both suspensions are still the same
Old 03-06-12, 01:22 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
not true. regular gs with luxury package has the exact same suspension as the fsport. except the wheels maybe. putting it to s+ and both suspensions are still the same
can you get RWS in Lux? So probably differences are RWS, Big Brakes and more aggressive tire/wheel package?
Old 03-06-12, 02:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by spwolf
can you get RWS in Lux? So probably differences are RWS, Big Brakes and more aggressive tire/wheel package?
putting car into s+ doesn't affect any of those options you mentioned.
Old 03-06-12, 02:53 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

putting car into s+ doesn't affect any of those options you mentioned.
well I was quoting you where you said suspensions were the same, and listed the differences. I like the fact that the basics is the same, and less people get to have inferior version.
Old 03-06-12, 08:05 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

So the F-sport doesn't get thicker anti-roll bars?
Old 03-06-12, 08:43 PM
Liferules
Driver

Only real difference I see is F-sport tuned suspension with AVS and variable gear ratio steering--aside from the sport front bumper and rear valence...
Old 03-07-12, 12:00 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by natnut
So the F-sport doesn't get thicker anti-roll bars?
that's a specific question i asked, the answer i got was no. i have always waited to be proven wrong on any of these on the suspension
Old 03-07-12, 12:02 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Liferules
Only real difference I see is F-sport tuned suspension with AVS and variable gear ratio steering--aside from the sport front bumper and rear valence...
regular 4gs with luxury package also has the same avs system.
Old 03-07-12, 06:40 PM
07LXgs350
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts

well f sport also has the bigger brakes as well
Old 03-08-12, 04:18 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

as i said before, bigger brakes and wheels and RWS, if optioned properly... together with unique look.
same price as luxury, just with less interior equipment.

Quick Reply: Sport mode