Downgrades from 3GS to 4GS

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-12, 12:01 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by yamanote
Is the button still there though?

If it isn't then that is a bit of an inconvenience. All gas stations in my area are full service, so I usually pop the gas lid from my seat. Very minor though.
what's the inconvenience though? now you actually don't even have to do anything, as soon as you pull in the guy can just push and pop the gas door. i am also from hong kong, when i am there i see them do that on bmw and mb all the time, drivers just sit there
Old 03-09-12, 01:58 AM
yamanote
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
what's the inconvenience though? now you actually don't even have to do anything, as soon as you pull in the guy can just push and pop the gas door. i am also from hong kong, when i am there i see them do that on bmw and mb all the time, drivers just sit there
Maybe I just get incompetent attendants?

I borrowed a W212 for a while from a friend while he was on holiday- no interior fuel door release (or at least none I could find). I'd pull up to the pump, switch off the engine which automatically unlocks the doors (which in turn unlocks the fuel door), give my fuel card to the attendant telling him/her to fill er up and most of the time they'd walk to the fuel door, notice it was closed, turn right around and tell me to open the lid. I'd then have to tell them to push on the door to open it.

Perhaps they assumed that it would have a fuel door that could only be opened from the inside like many new luxury cars? At that time the W212 had just been released so maybe they were just unfamiliar with it.

At any rate it's just a minor niggle, nothing major.
Old 03-09-12, 05:37 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
I read that the Lexus engineers developing the 4GS went on a weight saving operation to keep weight down on the 4GS so that it would be bigger and more spacious than the 3GS but no heavier.

That involved trimming weight in both exterior as well as the interior trim. So as far as possible they went for lighter materials. That explains the new headliner material and lighter metal accents/trim.
All I see load of leather and wood where there was plastic in 3GS. So I hope they apply same savings throughout the range :-).

If anything, 3GS was pretty lacking in that department - sure plastic was nice, but the noises were not and seriously, now there is leather everywhere. I cant understand someone honestly complaining how 4GS has worse interior than 3GS, it doesnt. Not by a long shot... heck even discussing it seems silly.
Old 03-09-12, 06:00 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Minor downsides (so far):

-No Mark Levinson audio (Philippine version) = unlike other markets, we're stuck with the 12 speakers only. No 17 speaker ML audio system for us

-No eight cylinder engine atm (though it *might* come in the form of a GS-F........hopefully)

-Our local F-sport gets those ****ty wheels

-F-sport units for overseas do not have front fog lamps............but the JDM versions in Japan debunk this (somewhat). You can modify and make the necessary installations if one wishes to do so.

Thankfully, everything else at least meets or exceeds what the 3GS offered. 4GS>3GS (in more than 90% of the time)

Btw:
The fuel door thingy won't be a problem for me. Where I'm from, it's also full service.......so in that case, you can just tell the "gas-boy" (as we call them here) to push the fuel door for you

As for the interior, I can't give a rat's *** if veneer is real or fake. All I care about is Piano Black
Old 03-09-12, 07:22 AM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^ Does the new GS have piano black wood? Would be nice with the F-Sport model.
Old 03-09-12, 08:37 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by yamanote
Maybe I just get incompetent attendants?

I borrowed a W212 for a while from a friend while he was on holiday- no interior fuel door release (or at least none I could find). I'd pull up to the pump, switch off the engine which automatically unlocks the doors (which in turn unlocks the fuel door), give my fuel card to the attendant telling him/her to fill er up and most of the time they'd walk to the fuel door, notice it was closed, turn right around and tell me to open the lid. I'd then have to tell them to push on the door to open it.

Perhaps they assumed that it would have a fuel door that could only be opened from the inside like many new luxury cars? At that time the W212 had just been released so maybe they were just unfamiliar with it.

At any rate it's just a minor niggle, nothing major.
lol, they need better employee training!!!!!!
Old 03-09-12, 08:38 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by spwolf
All I see load of leather and wood where there was plastic in 3GS. So I hope they apply same savings throughout the range :-).

If anything, 3GS was pretty lacking in that department - sure plastic was nice, but the noises were not and seriously, now there is leather everywhere. I cant understand someone honestly complaining how 4GS has worse interior than 3GS, it doesnt. Not by a long shot... heck even discussing it seems silly.
same here, and i owned a 3gs. the 4gs interior imho is lightyear ahead of 3gs
Old 03-09-12, 09:43 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mordecai
^^ Does the new GS have piano black wood? Would be nice with the F-Sport model.
Hehe well, the veneer used for the shift lever housing is definitely piano black. 2IS (the latest MMC facelift) has piano black for instance.

Seriously, if it were possible (or if it can be made possible), I'd definitely have Piano Black instead of aluminum for the F-sport version.

Piano Black > Aluminum

Old 03-09-12, 09:50 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts

I've been driving for approx. 18 years.... I've used SELF SERVICE pumps almost 99% of the time..

I know some countries and some US states have strict laws about self serve pumps (like NJ), but I just can't deal with a fuel attendant touching my cars...

DIY "Gas-Boy" LoL

~ Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 03-09-12 at 09:55 AM.
Old 03-09-12, 10:39 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by L3XOTIC
Glad they went to the auto lock gas door similar to MB and BMW.
And why not. Lexus Engineers have themselves proclaimed that they were benchmarking MB for the new GS.
Old 03-09-12, 10:41 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Minor downsides (so far):

As for the interior, I can't give a rat's *** if veneer is real or fake. All I care about is Piano Black
For the life of me, I could never understand the penchant for real wood, when in reality you take real wood and coat it 20 times with polyurethane, making it as good as a synthetic veneer.
Old 03-09-12, 10:55 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Joe Z
I've been driving for approx. 18 years.... I've used SELF SERVICE pumps almost 99% of the time..

I know some countries and some US states have strict laws about self serve pumps (like NJ), but I just can't deal with a fuel attendant touching my cars...

DIY "Gas-Boy" LoL

~ Joe Z
i am better than you, i am 100% self service. i am too cheap basically

but in hong kong, most gas stations are served. in fact i don't recall seeing one that's not
Old 03-09-12, 11:23 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by rominl
i am better than you, i am 100% self service. i am too cheap basically

but in hong kong, most gas stations are served. in fact i don't recall seeing one that's not
Some gas stations don't allow you to "pump your own" in strict states & countries...

So it did happen a few times in my life when I got gas in NJ.. By LAW they have to pump it for you..

~ Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 03-09-12 at 01:52 PM.
Old 03-09-12, 12:09 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

maybe the gas-boyz are certified in handling hazardous materials while the driver is not.......
Old 03-09-12, 02:57 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Glaphmion
To start, I really like the new GS. The new interior is great, and the elevated sense of refinement compared to 3GS is very noticeable. However, I'm surprised that there were several downgrades:

Gas Door
The 4GS gas door can be opened from the outside. Why? I don't know if there's some magic combination of door locks and other adjustments that will prevent people from opening it while the car is parked on the street, but this seems like a downgrade from the 3GS design where it's opened from the driver's seat.

Trunk Strut
The 4GS went back to traditional hinges while 3GS had the tighter struts with auto-close. The hinges felt cheap and comparable to the likes of Corolla and Yaris. I realize that not everyone appreciated how "heavy" the trunk lid was on the 3GS as a result of using struts, but I thought it gave the car a more refined feel.

Cheap Interior Accents
The 4GS has these fake-metallic accents on all doors (at least for 350 with Luxury). They look really, really cheap and something found on sub-20k cars. In comparison, the same accent around the center console on the 3GS looked at least better (though still fake).

Am I the only one who felt these were noticeable downgrades?
I disagree with you on all of the above, especially the thing around the interior accents. The interior of the 3GS felt uncomfortably Camry like as far as the wood and metal accents were concerned. The 4GS seems like a proper luxury car interior.

To me the main downgrade is the loss of 2 gears and loss of 2 cylinders in the power train.

Quick Reply: Downgrades from 3GS to 4GS