Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Time to change your sig!
Old 03-15-12, 04:35 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default heritage/pedigree (vomit)

Originally Posted by natnut
At the end of the day, test-drive the car for yourself and don't let past glories sway you. A car brand is only as good as it's last ownership experience/test-drive. Lexus caught the Germans napping with the new 4th Generation GS and its initial sales numbers seem to support my claim.

If some professional car reviewers refuse to acknowledge the objective numbers showing the GS350's superiority over the 535i/E350 at a lower price point, well...they'll soon be playing catchup to the savvy car consumers who refuse to be blinded by a roundel or 3 pointed star but instead judge a car based on actual quality and tangible features rather than on nebulous qualities like "heritage/pedigree"(vomit).
great post NATNUT. you hit it on the nose.
Old 03-15-12, 05:39 PM
Ay-nako
Stop the Copy!

Received 115 Likes on 54 Posts

nice review to the op.. i had to chime into this. At first I really thought this was going to be once sided but its not at all.. nice to see a refreshing, educated review on the big three - somone actually going through each one thinking of buying each one as well!
Old 03-15-12, 05:39 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
with a heavy door, it's good feature

and i guess you also don't have kids falling asleep on you and you really appreciate the feature with just a slight click
it is a luxury car so there is never enough of features :-). There is no such thing as too much.

clearly this is TMS/marketing decision on how to keep price looking good and still distinguish from LS if possible, since other markets have the feature.

I had soft close on 3GS and it was completely unnecessary in reality... it was still cool and in my mind it convinced me i had luxury car, i liked it a lot even though i dont think it was ever useful. Of course 4GS has plenty of other things to show off :-).

Luxury by itself is definition of unnecessary... and we are indulging ourselves in car hedonism. yay for us!
Old 03-15-12, 07:30 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Wow, great write-up I read the entire thing. Really great to see such enthusiasm.

Some of my thoughts.

1. I can understand how people percieve BMW/Benz higher than Lexus here. Audi still seems to considered Tier 2/midpack here. On the flipside in Europe Audi of course is highly revered and Lexus is seen behind Audi. What we have discussed of course is the reality that with Audi's rise with BMW/Benz's stature makes a solid German 3 whereas from Japan it is completely different as Lexus is by far the leader and the other 2 brands continue to struggle. In America Lexus is without a doubt a Tier 1 brand as evidenced by a decades worth of surveys by the wealthy and general public.

2. Lexus really seems to have hit the ball out the park in regards to the tech, features, interior and the drive. The powertrain and exterior might be weaker points but they are strong enough to still be part of a good package. While the forum is not representational of reality we are seeing many conquest sales here and the feedback is the car is better, not cheaper as some try to imply. Being cheaper is icing on the cake If Lexus continues this focus on all new products it will be a great thing!

3. jjscsix, Lexus has always been known for their attention to detail, the way things open and close, the way the car makes life easier for the driver, the way the wood is selected etc. Unless a change was made to the 2010, my 2007 has a sunglasses holder in the roof up front. The 2010 doesn't have this anymore?
Correct. They had to get rid of it I think because of the need for something to interface with the "enform" system.
Old 03-15-12, 08:09 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

To the original OP, who was concerned about the car appealling to the 20-something set, it probably will but I doubt they will be the ones buying it. In this video Lexus Marketing describes their ideal buyer, and mentions the fact that they want 50% of sales to be "conquest" (from German brands). Enjoy!...

phttp://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=sVz2Mxe3A1krobably
Old 03-15-12, 09:28 PM
GX4704ME
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by dseag2
To the original OP, who was concerned about the car appealling to the 20-something set, it probably will but I doubt they will be the ones buying it. In this video Lexus Marketing describes their ideal buyer, and mentions the fact that they want 50% of sales to be "conquest" (from German brands). Enjoy!...

phttp://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=sVz2Mxe3A1krobably

Thanks for the video link.

Yours truly,

The OP and a younger "Greg Smith"!
Old 03-15-12, 11:09 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
it is a luxury car so there is never enough of features :-). There is no such thing as too much.

clearly this is TMS/marketing decision on how to keep price looking good and still distinguish from LS if possible, since other markets have the feature.

I had soft close on 3GS and it was completely unnecessary in reality... it was still cool and in my mind it convinced me i had luxury car, i liked it a lot even though i dont think it was ever useful. Of course 4GS has plenty of other things to show off :-).

Luxury by itself is definition of unnecessary... and we are indulging ourselves in car hedonism. yay for us!
ok, i never knew soft door close is even an option in any region on the 3gs?
Old 03-16-12, 12:17 AM
yamanote
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by e39ng
I understand but the problem is Lexus doesnt even offer power trunk option here in US!!
Not even on the top trim level? That's a shame- maybe they'll add it in later model years

It wasn't- he was probably referring to the trunk lid.
Old 03-16-12, 05:07 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GX4704ME
Yeah I admit that much but hey, if you cant be honest online, where can you be honest! All the points you made are valid and in my heart of hearts I know MB or any German car cannot compete with the intangibles such as resale value and reliability of a Lexus.
Its what kept me from getting a S550. WHich I still want and might get, but only with factory warranty.
Old 03-16-12, 06:16 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

trunk yeah.... i think i had to try for it to close half way just for it to work, because it would always close all the way for me.
Old 03-16-12, 08:53 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
trunk yeah.... i think i had to try for it to close half way just for it to work, because it would always close all the way for me.
oh you meant the trunk lid
Old 03-16-12, 12:43 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

To give my thoughts on the Title question:
It may be a state of mind, considering you weren't intending on buying the car and had to be "sold" on it.

Comparatively, perhaps if you put yourself down on a waiting list for a BMW M; MB AMG; or AUDI S and you had to wait months for it, then perhaps you would get some sense of excitement when it finally arrived.

Or perhaps you've grown out of cars and it's just an appliance, and time for a different hobby.
Old 03-16-12, 02:34 PM
GX4704ME
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by raytseng
Or perhaps you've grown out of cars and it's just an appliance, and time for a different hobby.
This is precisely why I like forums, I am always presented with a perspective that I never considered. I am starting to think that perhaps you are right. Cars in general just doesn't do it for me any more. Can you believe I have yet to open the 4G owners manual(s) and that is a FIRST for me. On previous cars/suvs I couldn't wait to crack open the manuals to learn about all the goodies of my purchase.

Thanks raytseng!
Old 03-16-12, 02:43 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

can i suggest
-motorcycles
-guns/firearms or knives (flashlights too)
-home theater or electronics
-skiing/snowboarding/skydiving/windsurfing or other adrenaline sport
-golf
-casual team sport such as rec league softball/tennis/bowling etc.
-drinking of fine beverages (wine/scotch/bourbon)
-travel
-videogames
-volunteer
-education/self improvement through classes such as cooking (or obscure ones like blacksmithing)
-physical fitness/exercise

or there's always the traditional friends and family (with or without childraising)

Last edited by raytseng; 03-16-12 at 02:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Why am I not as EXCITED as you!!??