350 F-Sport or 450h (non F)

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-12, 02:37 AM
x838nwy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 350 F-Sport or 450h (non F)

Hi,

I'm trying to decide between the 350 F-Sport and the 450h (which, in this country, is not available with F-Sport).

I REALLY like the front end of the F-Sport but I'm a bit of a geek and an idea of same power-to-weight but higher mpg of the "h" appeals to me too. Plus I think the torque advantage of the hybrid would help things.

My questions/queries are:

1.) at least one magazine i can recall says that the cvt is noisy when accelerating at high speeds. I didn't experience this with the Rx450h but then again i didn't trash the living daylights out of it at the time. Can anyone shed light on this matter?

2.) does the rear wheel steering make a lot of difference? I am booked to drive the 450h next week but the 350F-S won't be available. What can i expect? From a driver's perspective, is the F package something that only shapens things slightly or totally transform the car?

3.) how much firmer is the F-Sport? I like to feel the road, but i will also be transporting the family sometimes. Has anyone driven both? What's a real-world verdict on this?

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

C
Old 03-18-12, 02:50 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the 450h is not available in the States yet.
Old 03-18-12, 05:04 AM
x838nwy
Driver School Candidate

Ahh.... oops...

If that's the case, do you guys get normal RWD vs. F-Sport AWD? How about the difference between those two?

Thanks

C
Old 03-18-12, 06:55 AM
Liferules
Driver

I had the same dilemma: wait for the 450h to be available and get great mileage and cool hybrid technology, etc... but I really love the F-sport front and interior changes. And I really didn't like the fact that the back of the car on the hybrid hides the tail pipes--which I think are the best part of the back facade. And while I haven't driven the 450h, in my experience, hybrids drive differently from "standard" cars and just aren't as fun for me to drive.
Old 03-18-12, 09:40 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

i've driven both GS350 F SPORT RWD and AWD at high speeds around corners, curves what have you. the DRS is great. it's a noticeable difference from the AWD. the AWD is heavier had to slow down just a little around curves, corners etc. it felt more planted to the road.(wherever i pointed it that's where it went). love that car.

F SPORT pkg. transforms the front of the car slightly (I LIKE IT)
never driven a highbrid, can't give you any info on that (sorry)
F SPORT and LUXURY will tighten your suspension and steering in S plus mode if you want to feel the road more.

I have a GS350 F Sport AWD (live in NEW YORK we do get snow) and i am not disappointed with my purchase.
Old 03-18-12, 01:55 PM
qualityday
Rookie

I've driven the 450h in Japan & the RWD F-Sport w/DRS.

DRS vs non DRS. I can't tell the difference. I understand it's active at any speed but my conclusion was I can't tell the difference. Maybe at higher speeds or I'm just numb to it.

The Hybrid did feel more powerful but what I didn't like is that I can feel or sense the motor doing something around 20mph. like switching from electric to gas or something? Not sure as the speedo was in km. I personally don't like hybrids for that reason I want a smooth and steady power with no other functions occurring.

The hybrid also has a smaller trunk. If I could do it all over again I would get a GS450h F-Sport AWD but I knew that hybrid and AWD aftermarket parts may come out late and in some cases not at all.

I really think F-Sport is a valuable option. The ride isn't much firmer than the reg model. It just seems like body roll was reduced. still smooth as butter.
Old 03-18-12, 03:17 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

there is no AWD Hybrid.
Old 03-18-12, 03:48 PM
chiefguy
Rookie

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
i've driven both GS350 F SPORT RWD and AWD at high speeds around corners, curves what have you. the DRS is great. it's a noticeable difference from the AWD. the AWD is heavier had to slow down just a little around curves, corners etc. it felt more planted to the road.(wherever i pointed it that's where it went). love that car.

F SPORT pkg. transforms the front of the car slightly (I LIKE IT)
never driven a highbrid, can't give you any info on that (sorry)
F SPORT and LUXURY will tighten your suspension and steering in S plus mode if you want to feel the road more.

I have a GS350 F Sport AWD (live in NEW YORK we do get snow) and i am not disappointed with my purchase.
what color combo did you get?
Old 03-18-12, 06:48 PM
LexFather

You can buy the F-sport bumper for around $700.....put it on the GS 450h....problem solved

Most F-sports do not have the rear steer. The Rear steer IMO is a must if you really plan to drive the car hard/track it. It makes an amazing difference. Otherwise you will be okay without it.
Old 03-19-12, 07:52 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 350 F sport or 450h (non F)

Originally Posted by chiefguy
what color combo did you get?
starfire /black
Old 03-19-12, 08:37 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
You can buy the F-sport bumper for around $700.....put it on the GS 450h....problem solved

Most F-sports do not have the rear steer. The Rear steer IMO is a must if you really plan to drive the car hard/track it. It makes an amazing difference. Otherwise you will be okay without it.
god bless usa... set of F-Sport wheels here in eeurope for IS are $6000. I can imagine front bumper costing a lot more than $700, at least 3x more.
Old 03-19-12, 12:19 PM
hacker_720
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a 3GS450h and I just test drove the 4GS350 (non-f-sport, non-DRS)

1.) at least one magazine i can recall says that the cvt is noisy when accelerating at high speeds. I didn't experience this with the Rx450h but then again i didn't trash the living daylights out of it at the time. Can anyone shed light on this matter?
- no noise at all, and I "trash the living daylights out of it at the time" and drive like a limo with clients. It is by far the quietest car I have even been in. Most passengers can't believe the silence. There is also no delay / noise / bump / note / sound or other when it switches between gas/electric.

2.) does the rear wheel steering make a lot of difference? I am booked to drive the 450h next week but the 350F-S won't be available. What can i expect? From a driver's perspective, is the F package something that only shapens things slightly or totally transform the car?
sorry, I don't know.

3.) how much firmer is the F-Sport? I like to feel the road, but i will also be transporting the family sometimes. Has anyone driven both? What's a real-world verdict on this?
I find my 3GS450h a little firm in sports, and just about perfect in normal. The new GS did a great job of bodyroll vs firmness. I think the non-f-sport was prefect for real world driving.

If I upgrade I would get the 450h non-f-sport, non-DRS, no question. There is a substantial straight line performance difference. The HP / Tq specs don't fully explain the instant torque from the hybrid's CVT, it makes a lot of difference in the real world.

Oh, the interior is eye wateringly beautiful!
Old 03-19-12, 06:45 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by x838nwy
Ahh.... oops...

If that's the case, do you guys get normal RWD vs. F-Sport AWD? How about the difference between those two?

Thanks

C
imho, i would get RWD if you plan to do aftermarket suspension mods (when they become available). 3GS AWD have vibration problems when lowered, and i would not be keen on lowering a 4GS AWD until proven that it doesn't have vibration issues when lowered (you can't be too careful).

if you don't plan on lowering at all, then by all means f-sport AWD would be OK.
Old 03-19-12, 08:30 PM
x838nwy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hacker_720
I have a 3GS450h and I just test drove the 4GS350 (non-f-sport, non-DRS)

- no noise at all, and I "trash the living daylights out of it at the time" and drive like a limo with clients. It is by far the quietest car I have even been in. Most passengers can't believe the silence. There is also no delay / noise / bump / note / sound or other when it switches between gas/electric.

sorry, I don't know.

I find my 3GS450h a little firm in sports, and just about perfect in normal. The new GS did a great job of bodyroll vs firmness. I think the non-f-sport was prefect for real world driving.

If I upgrade I would get the 450h non-f-sport, non-DRS, no question. There is a substantial straight line performance difference. The HP / Tq specs don't fully explain the instant torque from the hybrid's CVT, it makes a lot of difference in the real world.

Oh, the interior is eye wateringly beautiful!
Thank you for your comments!

I was hoping what qualityday noted regarding the motor bing a little funny at ~20mph would be a calibration/software issue and from what you said I think that is most likely the case.
Old 03-19-12, 08:34 PM
x838nwy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Stormforge
imho, i would get RWD if you plan to do aftermarket suspension mods (when they become available). 3GS AWD have vibration problems when lowered, and i would not be keen on lowering a 4GS AWD until proven that it doesn't have vibration issues when lowered (you can't be too careful).

if you don't plan on lowering at all, then by all means f-sport AWD would be OK.
Kindda difficult to say at this point. I've only really looked at the car relatively briefly and I'd like to have it on 19's in any case so I guess I'll have to put it on its "proper" wheels before I think about whether or not lowering. If I decide to at all, it would be for looks rather than performance anyway.

Also, AWD isn't available here at the moment and to be honest, I don't think I will need it. But thank you for the heads-up.

Quick Reply: 350 F-Sport or 450h (non F)