GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

I Smell Trouble!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-12, 08:08 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default I Smell Trouble!

When the 3GS came out I thought it was an ugly car. I ragged on it unmercilessly. I remember saying the front looked like that ugly dog that has the eyes on the side of the face.
At the time my wife was driving a pre-owned CPO 97 ES300 that had a couple problems that were not able to be resolved by the dealer. The dealer offered me a good deal to trade it in. She wanted a new car this time. I took her to the dealer with intentions of a new ES. Instead she wanted a 3GS. The car I thought was butt ugly. It had just come out and there were absolutely no negotiating price...which meant a hefty car note.

I told her absolutely no!

Strangely, my wife starting crying, right there at the dealership. She accused me of being a bully and mistreating her. She had never done this before and it caught me off guard. The salesman didn't know what to do. He kept saying to leave him out of this but he kept giving her more info about the GS. In the end, I gave in and got her the GS.

Washing and driving the car, I came to appreciate it's unique styling. I liked the way it drove after I lowered it and put on 19's. I began to like it. Wifey hated that I wanted to take it to work sometimes and we had disagreements about my taking it for the day. So I got one of my own.

Now there is a 4GS. I don't like it. My wife said she didn't like it. End of story.
I thought.
Today she said, I'm starting to like it.
I didn't say anything. If she brings it up again, I will tell her emphatically that if she wants one, she'd better get it herself. I'm not budging. I'm not spending one dime on it.

I smell trouble!
Old 04-02-12, 08:41 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
I told her absolutely no! ...... In the end, I gave in .
ain't that the truth.... for a lot of us

Now there is a 4GS...... I'm not budging. I'm not spending one dime on it.

Strangely, my wife starting crying, right there at the dealership. She accused me of being a bully and mistreating her.
Hmm - not my place to say this... but that was (IMO) a cheap shot...
Old 04-02-12, 08:42 AM
GX4704ME
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When the 3GS came out I thought it was an ugly car. I ragged on it unmercilessly. I remember saying the front looked like that ugly dog that has the eyes on the side of the face.
At the time my wife was driving a pre-owned CPO 97 ES300 that had a couple problems that were not able to be resolved by the dealer. The dealer offered me a good deal to trade it in. She wanted a new car this time. I took her to the dealer with intentions of a new ES. Instead she wanted a 3GS. The car I thought was butt ugly. It had just come out and there were absolutely no negotiating price...which meant a hefty car note.

Strangely, my wife starting crying, right there at the dealership. She accused me of being a bully and mistreating her. She had never done this before and it caught me off guard. The salesman didn't know what to do. He kept saying to leave him out of this but he kept giving her more info about the GS. In the end, I gave in and got her the GS.

Washing and driving the car, I came to appreciate it's unique styling. I liked the way it drove after I lowered it and put on 19's. I began to like it. Wifey hated that I wanted to take it to work sometimes and we had disagreements about my taking it for the day. So I got one of my own.

Now there is a 4GS. I don't like it. My wife said she didn't like it. End of story.
I thought.
I didn't say anything. If she brings it up again, I will tell her emphatically that if she wants one, she'd better get it herself. I'm not budging. I'm not spending one dime on it.

I smell trouble!
I suspect the flood gates are about to open again! Hilarious post!
Old 04-02-12, 08:44 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

This is the pre-post to where you finally admit you like the 4GS and buy one.

It is ok, we forgive you.
Old 04-02-12, 08:48 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

If you do a Google image search for "toast" you will find your picture. You better start negotiations with the Lexus dealer now to avoid another scene.
Old 04-02-12, 08:49 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 114 Posts

We know you will get one and we forgave you already.

Do it Do it Do it....
Old 04-02-12, 08:50 AM
Got PSI
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I LOL'd at your post.

Like mentioned above, get ready for some more crying. She'll remember how last time you gave in when you saw some tears.

And yeah, you like the 4G. Time to fess up and get one of your own along with the one you are going to buy for the wife.
Old 04-02-12, 08:55 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,438 Likes on 1,598 Posts

In the end, I gave in and got her the GS.
that was smart. but can't believe you actually had 'veto' power initially.

i guess you have some sort of separate finances arrangement. regardless, if she gets it, you'll pay.
Old 04-02-12, 09:21 AM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 206 Likes on 137 Posts

What color are you/her getting?
Old 04-02-12, 09:30 AM
jman-is350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought.

I smell trouble!
Nice story, thanks for sharing OP but as they say... HAPPY WIFE, HAPPY LIFE...

In my case, my wife loves it so much, I pre-ordered her car and got one of the first 4GS Fsport in white/black in SD. A few weeks in, she loves for the car grew stronger and wont share her car so I bought my own... Although, she does NOT drive my TT and she's hogging up my GTR too.

I see a 4GS in your future.
Old 04-02-12, 11:25 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by caddyowner
If you do a Google image search for "toast" you will find your picture. You better start negotiations with the Lexus dealer now to avoid another scene.
we call them slippers here in eastern europe :-)
Old 04-02-12, 09:15 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes, you have been very vocal about your dislike of the 4GS styling, so we know. I can only say that I thought the 3GS was beautiful when it was first introduced but wasn't taken by its interior or driving experience. I still look at them and say to myself, "boring, but nice classic design".

I think you need to suck it up and admit the 4GS is just as good (if not better) a design as the 5 Series or E Class, and certainly better than the M37, and buy one. Hell, I don't think it's the most beautiful car on the road, but it does have a presence and the interior and driving experience are fantastic. Yield to the forces that are beyond your control!
Old 04-03-12, 12:56 AM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought.

I smell trouble!
Sounds like she wears the pants. I would have divorced her on the spot if she pulled that **** on me. Sorry, just saying. If you could not afford to buy her a GS, would she be your wife, something to consider for future happiness.
Old 04-03-12, 06:42 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

All great replies.
My thread was intented to be humorous but it is a true story. Even now, years later...I am still shocked she used the crying tactic on me. She never did it before and not since. Publicly and falsely accusing me of mistreating her to get a car, I still haven't gotten over that. I learned more about women that day than all my years combined.

I'm ready this time. If she wants something, she knows the drill. We sit down, discuss and plan, making sure the budget allows with some rearranging.

I am trying to like the 4GS, it hasn't happened yet but I want to. The real answer for me will come when I see one lowered with 20's.
Old 04-03-12, 07:59 AM
Got PSI
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The real answer for me will come when I see one lowered with 20's.
Here you go. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...20-wheels.html

Quick Reply: I Smell Trouble!