GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Noises from Engine Top End on Cold Start

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-12, 05:04 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Noises from Engine Top End on Cold Start

Does anyone else have a clicking noise from the top end of the engine on cold starts? It persists for a few minutes and is most noticeable at idle. It sounds like injector or lifter noise. I remember discussion about a similar noise in the current generation RX, but don't know if it is the same. I find it very annoying and will take the car in for repair if it doesn't clear up by 500 miles.
Old 04-02-12, 05:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

typical common noise on the 350 engine especially at cold start
Old 04-02-12, 05:13 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Can anything be done to quiet it? It sounds like a lubrication problem. On my old John Deere tractor, I add some Marvel Mystery Oil to the fuel for top-end lubrication. (I know, not advisable on the car.)
Old 04-02-12, 06:40 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by caddyowner
Can anything be done to quiet it? It sounds like a lubrication problem. On my old John Deere tractor, I add some Marvel Mystery Oil to the fuel for top-end lubrication. (I know, not advisable on the car.)
it is high pressure fuel direct injection system, nothing you can do with it, it is fine.

fuel pressures are as high as in best diesels, so you get that ticking noise as well.
Old 04-02-12, 08:19 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

^^^
Yes, the sound does remind me of a diesel. How quaint. All we need now is the black smoke just like the old MB W123 300D.
Old 04-02-12, 09:27 PM
GSTONY
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got that noise too but it's ok
Old 04-02-12, 11:29 PM
DJGS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have noticed the same noise. My buddy said a $60k car shouldn't sound like this. Now all I hear is my diesel sounding engine. Starting to bother me.
Old 04-02-12, 11:33 PM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default I'm OK with the noise

I've got the same noise at 26 miles on the clock. At this point I am not going to loose any sleep over it.
Old 04-03-12, 12:01 AM
crzyis
Driver

Its because of direct injection. Its completely normal and isn't anything that anyone should be concerned with.
Old 04-03-12, 12:45 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

^^^
Yes, the sound does remind me of a diesel. How quaint. All we need now is the black smoke just like the old MB W123 300D.
stay in your car with the windows up
Old 04-03-12, 04:38 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Noise explanation

The new 'low friction' engines don't have belts driving the valves anymore. They now have an internal cam chain such as Porsche's have always had. On cold start, you may hear it, but it's not excessive. Does get quieter after engine temps come up. A really good upside is no expensive belt change around 100K. And no adjustments are necessary.
Old 04-03-12, 05:11 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Cruiter
The new 'low friction' engines don't have belts driving the valves anymore. They now have an internal cam chain such as Porsche's have always had. On cold start, you may hear it, but it's not excessive. Does get quieter after engine temps come up. A really good upside is no expensive belt change around 100K. And no adjustments are necessary.
LOL as a former owner of two GM 3.6 engines which infamously eat timing chains, I can assure you that is not the same noise. Google "CTS timing chain" and learn how GM can screw up a perfectly good idea.

Interesting that I just called my service manager who I've dealt with for the past couple years and asked him about it. He also cited the timing chain, but he's going to research the issue and call me back. I've owned plenty of engines with timing chains and they are silent. Even the Cadillacs are silent while they oil starve the timing chains and stretch them to the point of failure.

Last edited by caddyowner; 04-03-12 at 05:18 AM.
Old 04-03-12, 06:17 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

The only thing I can guess by that is GM's engineering dept didn't get it right with the chains. I've driven Porsche 911's and 4 cyl (older version) Honda bikes for decades with never the 1st failure. The Honda's did have a chain tension adjustment which was easy to use.
LOL as a former owner of two GM 3.6 engines which infamously eat timing chains, I can assure you that is not the same noise. Google "CTS timing chain" and learn how GM can screw up a perfectly good idea.

Interesting that I just called my service manager who I've dealt with for the past couple years and asked him about it. He also cited the timing chain, but he's going to research the issue and call me back. I've owned plenty of engines with timing chains and they are silent. Even the Cadillacs are silent while they oil starve the timing chains and stretch them to the point of failure.
Old 04-03-12, 10:27 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Dual Direct Injection System........

That is what you are hearing....

2GR-FSE (pictured)

~ Joe Z
Old 04-03-12, 01:03 PM
itruns
Driver

Originally Posted by DJGS
I have noticed the same noise. My buddy said a $60k car shouldn't sound like this. Now all I hear is my diesel sounding engine. Starting to bother me.
Your buddy is wrong I do not like the noise either, but to direct inject an engine, the fuel pressure has to be higher than the cylinder pressure. All "direct injectors" make the same noise. Yes, it sounds like a diesel because all diesels are direct injected.
Instead of normal fuel injected systems that run from 28-50 psi, these run at 750-1800psi.
So they have a very hi-pressure fuel pump up by the fuel rails and 6 high pressure injectors...
As more manufactures invest in the technology, you will see more cars with it, as direct injecting adds power and efficiency.. (MPG)

Quick Reply: Noises from Engine Top End on Cold Start