GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Front license plate braket.....installed from factory?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-12, 06:28 PM
Liferules
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MKIV98TT, I agree completely about the front plate ruining the beautiful front facade of the car. When I ordered mine, I was adamant to the sales person that I didn't want that (or any dealership badging). I was fortunate that the car arrived with no plate or holes and they respected my request. I was honestly considering walking away from the deal if there were holes or a plate as the front is the best part about the car (F-sport in particular), IMO...
Old 04-03-12, 06:39 PM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 108 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Liferules
MKIV98TT, I agree completely about the front plate ruining the beautiful front facade of the car. When I ordered mine, I was adamant to the sales person that I didn't want that (or any dealership badging). I was fortunate that the car arrived with no plate or holes and they respected my request. I was honestly considering walking away from the deal if there were holes or a plate as the front is the best part about the car (F-sport in particular), IMO...
Unfortunately in Canada it's not only law, but heavily enforced. Seeing Lambos, Ferraris, and other exotics with front plates makes me very upset.
Old 04-03-12, 06:40 PM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

Received 108 Likes on 66 Posts

Damn the man!
Old 04-03-12, 11:20 PM
faifai83
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

+1 I had to special request my dealer to not put front plates on the car.
Old 04-04-12, 09:49 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 211 Likes on 145 Posts

They don't do it at the port. Kentucky doesn't require front plates and none of our dealership's cars are pre-drilled, nor do they drill them on delivery. Thank God!
Old 04-04-12, 10:57 AM
MKIV98TT
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I realize that some people might think it's dumb for me to complain about this. Bottom line, if it were done at the factory I would deal with it just like everyone else. I can appreciate that a small percentage of dealers leave it up to the customer to decide, even if the PID states to install. It's the way it should be regardless of the law IMO.
Old 04-04-12, 11:01 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by MKIV98TT
I realize that some people might think it's dumb for me to complain about this. Bottom line, if it were done at the factory I would deal with it just like everyone else. I can appreciate that a small percentage of dealers leave it up to the customer to decide, even if the PID states to install. It's the way it should be regardless of the law IMO.
some dealerships in CA were sued when they didn't install the plate and owners got tickets. that's why a lot of them just put the plate on regardless. then you can always request not to drill, but likely you sign a waiver
Old 04-04-12, 11:05 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts

Yeup...

Most dealerships will install the plate bracket during the PDI process... PDI = Pre Delivery Inspection..

The bracket gets placed in the trunk at the port, along with the wheel center caps & rolled up carpet mats..

A lot more happens at the receving Port / Lexus centers, but I'm not going to get into those details...

~ Joe Z
Old 04-04-12, 11:11 AM
e39ng
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I purchased my 08 GS, the dealer did not install the front plate holder. The salesman noticed it in the trunk and asked me if I can install it myself, otherwise he could put it on for me.
Old 06-11-12, 12:16 AM
j2theIzzle
Driver School Candidate

For all who are from Texas who decides not to install your front umm ugly add-on license plate kit. http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/36/3656.asp
Old 06-11-12, 04:41 AM
GtiB
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If anyone can get us some pix with the removed bracket that would be cool !! Any holes on the bumper ?
Old 06-11-12, 06:13 AM
ECL
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by GtiB
If anyone can get us some pix with the removed bracket that would be cool !! Any holes on the bumper ?
Is this what you want?

Old 06-11-12, 06:56 AM
jman-is350
Lead Lap

My first two Fsports did not have the front plates drilled into them, however, the last Fsport did but the dealership swapped it out for me when I traded one of them in. I hate those front plates...
Old 06-11-12, 06:58 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by j2theIzzle
For all who are from Texas who decides not to install your front umm ugly add-on license plate kit. http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/36/3656.asp
"Texas License Plates Become Optional"

That headline is somewhat misleading. The law remains on the books but the penalty for violation was inadvertently left out. It will be corrected when the state legislature reconvenes. I have noticed that about 20% of the cars on DFW freeways don't have a front plate. I have thought about not installing a front plate on my GS, but have decided I will have it installed simply because I don't want to give the local mounties an excuse to pull me over and harass me for no front plate. They will still issue a ticket for it in my area and you still have to go to court to have it dismissed. It's just not worth the hassle to me.
Old 06-11-12, 08:14 AM
GtiB
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ECL
Is this what you want?

what if i removed the bracket .. will i find drilled holes through the bumper ?

Quick Reply: Front license plate braket.....installed from factory?