GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Harsh consumer review on Edmunds.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-12, 06:36 AM
x838nwy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bushwack
Respectfully, "cutting edge technology" usually becomes boring after a couple months. Lexus has some neat things in the new GS (i.e. heads up display that Cadillac has had for years), but Lexus lacks originality. IP is a BMW rip off, tail lights that were reduced down from an LS and the afermentioned HUD. The new GS is a neat car (anything new is neat) but after 22 yrs, its about time Lexus shows some ingenuity.
I don't understand this - on the one hand, you're saying that cutting edge tech becomes boring after a couple of months (and hence nothing special). On the other you are complaining that the GS doesn't contain enough of it.

The GS has new technology in its engine, suspension, interior, even the stereo. It just doesn't wear its technology on its forehead. Besides, their slightly conservative approach to me ensures that all the technology it has will be well integrated with the car and will remain functional and relevant for years. I agree that most technological firsts in the new GS are not in the driver interface (well, may be the 12" screen) but that doesn't mean it's short on innovation.
Old 04-07-12, 06:41 AM
lildann
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

If the guy wants to talk about cost, he should look at the reliability of the volvo. I used to work for volvo and still have friends that do. The stories that they tell me would shock some people. Things like 2 or 3 transmissions in the same car while in warranty, computer problems, and switch problems. I like the s60R but I would much rather have the reliablilty of a Lexus. Just my two cents.
Old 04-07-12, 08:34 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by lildann
If the guy wants to talk about cost, he should look at the reliability of the volvo. I used to work for volvo and still have friends that do. The stories that they tell me would shock some people. Things like 2 or 3 transmissions in the same car while in warranty, computer problems, and switch problems. I like the s60R but I would much rather have the reliablilty of a Lexus. Just my two cents.
S60 R is my favorite Volvo to date
Old 04-07-12, 09:00 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Cost (for him)

For him his review was spot on, he just didn't word it right. It's not that the car was priced to high, it was just priced to high for him. The problem was he couldn't afford it I think. He's trying now to rationalize a less expensive car that has 'similar' size and performance for less. Not everyone can afford it but maybe it took payment shock from his wife to show him the light. I'm thinking he should have switched that light on before he bought it tho .
Old 04-07-12, 12:01 PM
Bushwack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by smuv gs3
Well you are very correct on your statement but if you think about it the body lines from the 3rd gen gs are the most cloned in the auto industry,Lexus wrote the book on smooth curvaceous body lines and even BMW ditched the old shoe box look with their 5 series and changed their game. But IMO it's only been 22 yrs for Lexus but for GM and Chrysler it's been decades and now they are finally turning in their home work assignments and they think they are honor roll status ???. Buick Lacrosse is nothing but a Chevy Malibu on steroids,Caillac CTS I don't know what that is maybe it's a Malibu also and Chrysler is the bottom feeder of the auto industry they finally decided to put real leather interiors in their vehicles instead of that naugahyde psuedo leather trim. I would never buy a " Obamamobile " I don't care if it was imported from Detroit or made in Malaysia I would buy a Hyundai Equios if I wanted to take a few steps down the luxury ladder .
You're not going to find me defending GM and Chrysler. ONce the muscle car era was over, innovation took a back seat to the bean counters.

We all know car manufacturers share platforms. Your comparison between the LaCrosse and Malibu can be applied to the Camry & ES. There's debate that the GS was a derivative of the Toyota Avalon.

As for the lines of the 3GS being most cloned in the industry, Nissan may disagree with you. Look at the 2006 Maxima. Certainly looks similar to the 3GS. If it wasn't for it being FWD, I might be participating in the Maxima forum .

Dont misunderstand me. Thoroughly enjoy my 3GS and as I don't lime german cars, I'll probably go with a 2014 LS once the new generation comes out. I'm just saying that as the domestics had sat on their but from 1972 - 2010, Lexus took a step back from innovation and let the bean counters take control (by their own admission, Toyota was focused on being the largest auto maker in the world). Now, Lexus wants to go head to head w/ BMW and MB. With the 4GS, they should be there. But they are still a couple points behind.
Old 04-07-12, 12:11 PM
Bushwack
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by x838nwy
I don't understand this - on the one hand, you're saying that cutting edge tech becomes boring after a couple of months (and hence nothing special). On the other you are complaining that the GS doesn't contain enough of it.

The GS has new technology in its engine, suspension, interior, even the stereo. It just doesn't wear its technology on its forehead. Besides, their slightly conservative approach to me ensures that all the technology it has will be well integrated with the car and will remain functional and relevant for years. I agree that most technological firsts in the new GS are not in the driver interface (well, may be the 12" screen) but that doesn't mean it's short on innovation.
The engine is 98% the same as the 2007-2011 GS (which isn't a bad thing at all). Suspension and interior layout is new to Lexus but not new to its competition. BMW and MB have been leaders with innovation. Lexus' main claim to leadership/innovation was producing a car in 1989/1990 that was as comfortable as a Cadillac, priced like a Cadillac but with the reliability and quality build of a Toyota.

My comments are not directed towards Lexus making an awful car. My argument is that if they want to be discussed in the same breath as a BMW or MB, they need to step it up and not be like them but surpass them (especially in handling). BMW's reputation is w/ handling (it certainly isn't with reliability). MB reputation is in both handling and reliability (MBs may be expensive to service but the mechanical reliability is a small notch below Lexus). The GS is aimed against the 5 series BMW. *I* think Lexus should be more concerned with Infiniti, Cadillac and Hyundai.
Old 04-07-12, 02:04 PM
smuv gs3
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The engine is 98% the same as the 2007-2011 GS (which isn't a bad thing at all). Suspension and interior layout is new to Lexus but not new to its competition. BMW and MB have been leaders with innovation. Lexus' main claim to leadership/innovation was producing a car in 1989/1990 that was as comfortable as a Cadillac, priced like a Cadillac but with the reliability and quality build of a Toyota.

My comments are not directed towards Lexus making an awful car. My argument is that if they want to be discussed in the same breath as a BMW or MB, they need to step it up and not be like them but surpass them (especially in handling). BMW's reputation is w/ handling (it certainly isn't with reliability). MB reputation is in both handling and reliability (MBs may be expensive to service but the mechanical reliability is a small notch below Lexus). The GS is aimed against the 5 series BMW. *I* think Lexus should be more concerned with Infiniti, Cadillac and Hyundai.
I agree with you Lexus definately needs to get cracking on beating BMW and MB, in general the fastest car that they offer is the LFA but how many of us are going to drop some coin on that car ?? So the only alternative is the ISF it's quick but it's only 415 bhp which I'm guessing on a dyno would make 380-390 to the wheels so a total revamp is long overdue. Personally I think Lexus should watch out for Hyundai since they offer a flagship model very similiar to the LS460 and a midsize luxury vehicle ( Genisis ).I don't think Lexus has to worry about Cadillac the only thing that is keeping them alive is the Escalade ,I can't even justify spending all that money on a CTS-V when I can go buy a Corvette instead which on the back end would hold some residual value. To me Cadillacs cars look like " Box Cutters " on wheels
Old 04-07-12, 02:12 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Now, Lexus wants to go head to head w/ BMW and MB. With the 4GS, they should be there. But they are still a couple points behind.

Out of curiosity, in what way is the 4GS a couple of points behind the E350 and the 535i?
Old 04-07-12, 02:53 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Please see my review under baloo588.

http://www.edmunds.com/lexus/gs-350/...ewId=539170222

To bushwack,

I had a 2011 BMW 535i for 1 year and traded it in for a GS F-Sport I have other BMWs in my house including an 2006 Audi A8L and a 2010 Mercedes Ml350. We all enjoy the GS more than the other cars. Its far ahead of the BMW 5 and Mercedes E class in driving feel, road feedback, handling, etc. Its more advance in technology and makes it feel superior to the tedious Idrive. The MMI in my Audi is still good though. The Mercedes command literally falls flat on its face in comparison. The remote touch and the enform in the Lexus is at the top next to Audi MMi in our experience in the family. The GS is no longer the also ran but in the front of the pack. The Audi A6 is also ahead of the BMW 5 while the E-Class is behind the 5. I find the GS more exciting than the A6. If you get the GS premium you will feel that it is still superior than the BMW 5 but sill will need the sports package to triumph the base BMW 5 which is why I got the F-Sport. Lexus SHOULD NOT be concerned for Infinit, Acura, or Cadillac as they are pretty much behind now. I would not buy them. I drove a Cadillac CTS and an Infiniti M37 and Acura TL one time in the past few years and heck they evoke no true luxury or have anywhere as close as the ride and handling of the Lexus GS. Lexus will move up with the big boys now. I am very impressed.

Last edited by Rexus300; 04-07-12 at 02:59 PM.
Old 04-07-12, 03:39 PM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

The 2013 GS debuts I believe 8-12 world or class firsts. Not sure how that isn't innovation.
Old 04-07-12, 08:24 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

My service guy at Audi (who I knew real well when I had my '01 Audi A6 4.2) said, "The Germans invent the technology and the Japanese perfect it". I'm just fine with that. For me, Lexus doesn't always have to be on the cutting edge as long as everything works.
Old 04-08-12, 01:35 PM
07LXgs350
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
My service guy at Audi (who I knew real well when I had my '01 Audi A6 4.2) said, "The Germans invent the technology and the Japanese perfect it". I'm just fine with that. For me, Lexus doesn't always have to be on the cutting edge as long as everything works.
Thats a pretty much bull**** comment from him...Japanese have invented just as much if not more technology than germans.