GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Update on Auto AC Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-12, 07:40 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Hopefully this isn't a stupid question, but does everyone realize there is a setting in the screen under Vehicle Settings for Auto AC? I saw it today when I was playing around with the settings. It isn't under Climate Control. There is an "on" and off" selection.
Old 04-22-12, 12:03 AM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
Hopefully this isn't a stupid question, but does everyone realize there is a setting in the screen under Vehicle Settings for Auto AC? I saw it today when I was playing around with the settings. It isn't under Climate Control. There is an "on" and off" selection.
That's setting for when you press auto on the main switch, it'll turn the AC on or not. If you select off, it won't turn on the AC when you press the Auto switch.
Old 04-27-12, 02:14 PM
alex206
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got my climate amplifier replaced and it seems to be working correctly, where the temp stays at what it was last. Also, regarding the heated seats, my service advisor initially said that there is no fix for the auto off b/c it is on auto as the manual states, but the technician who was working on my car was puzzled on why it couldn't be done, so he actually called Lexus up and they walked him thru a fix. So, my heated seats stay on until I turn the car off or I turn it off! This is great for those who live in cold climates. Another reason Lexus goes above and beyond, more than I can say about BMW.
Old 04-27-12, 02:27 PM
faifai83
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by alex206
I just got my climate amplifier replaced and it seems to be working correctly, where the temp stays at what it was last. Also, regarding the heated seats, my service advisor initially said that there is no fix for the auto off b/c it is on auto as the manual states, but the technician who was working on my car was puzzled on why it couldn't be done, so he actually called Lexus up and they walked him thru a fix. So, my heated seats stay on until I turn the car off or I turn it off! This is great for those who live in cold climates. Another reason Lexus goes above and beyond, more than I can say about BMW.
The issue only comes up in my 4GS when it's ~50F outside
Old 04-27-12, 10:08 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

if he managed to "fix" the seats, then it is probably "just" an option dealer can change on their computer... so thats good to know for others to might want to do the same.
Old 04-27-12, 11:25 PM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Could you tell me more what involve into the fix? Remove the dash? How long you have to wait for the fix? What dealer you brought in for service?

Thanks,
Old 04-28-12, 12:08 AM
alex206
Rookie

Originally Posted by onexcite
Could you tell me more what involve into the fix? Remove the dash? How long you have to wait for the fix? What dealer you brought in for service?

Thanks,
I brought my car in for a tint job and 'complained' about the heated seats turning off. I read the manual and it even states that it's on auto and will turn off after a while. So my service advisor told the tech and when i got my car back, it stated on the receipt that this is the feature of the car and nothing can be done. So when I brought in my car for the ac amplifier, my service guy told me that the tech did some more research and like I said before, called up Lexus to see if there's a way to override the auto off. Apparently, he's the only one at my dealership that knows how to do it. I bought my car at Lexus of Bellevue here in Washington state. I don't know how long and what he needed to do, I'm sure it's a computer thing though and not some parts. I'm glad it doesnt turn off anymore. I was getting real annoyed with it and having to turn it on every 15 min.
Old 04-28-12, 12:21 AM
jedimaster
Driver

I brought my car in for a tint job and 'complained' about the heated seats turning off. I read the manual and it even states that it's on auto and will turn off after a while. So my service advisor told the tech and when i got my car back, it stated on the receipt that this is the feature of the car and nothing can be done. So when I brought in my car for the ac amplifier, my service guy told me that the tech did some more research and like I said before, called up Lexus to see if there's a way to override the auto off. Apparently, he's the only one at my dealership that knows how to do it. I bought my car at Lexus of Bellevue here in Washington state. I don't know how long and what he needed to do, I'm sure it's a computer thing though and not some parts. I'm glad it doesnt turn off anymore. I was getting real annoyed with it and having to turn it on every 15 min.
But if you forget to turn it off it will drain your battery? Is it stiil on after switching off the ignition? I seem to recall reading about the waning in the owner's manual to turn off the the rear seat AC to prevent battery drainage.
Old 04-28-12, 01:01 AM
alex206
Rookie

Originally Posted by jedimaster
But if you forget to turn it off it will drain your battery? Is it stiil on after switching off the ignition? I seem to recall reading about the waning in the owner's manual to turn off the the rear seat AC to prevent battery drainage.
I have a F-sport, so I don't know about the rear seat AC, but when u turn off the ignition, the buttons DO turn off. When you start it again, you would have to press it again to turn on, and it will stay on.
Old 04-28-12, 10:46 AM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Thanks Alex, how long you wait for the AC amplifier to be fix? Did they gave you a loaner then pick up your car later? I'm concern about the AC amplifier, the heated seats I'll figure out later by myself as I'm order a Mongoose cable & software to do the tweak.
Old 04-28-12, 10:17 PM
alex206
Rookie

Originally Posted by onexcite
Thanks Alex, how long you wait for the AC amplifier to be fix? Did they gave you a loaner then pick up your car later? I'm concern about the AC amplifier, the heated seats I'll figure out later by myself as I'm order a Mongoose cable & software to do the tweak.
It took about a week to get, then about 2 hours to fix. I just gave them the car and had a loaner IS for the day. Just have them fix it and you won't have to worry about any modifications. And all is under warranty.
Old 04-29-12, 10:22 AM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Thanks Alex. I'll try get mine fix. It's seem only happen when chill outside, below 50'.
Old 04-29-12, 10:22 AM
gkcmilner
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Automatic seat heater is an option in the techstream computer. My dealership turns this off during the predelivery inspection. I had them turn mine on. In the owner's manual it explains how this is a benefit if you frequently drive in eco mode and it's cold out. The owner's manual doesn't mention that it can't be turned off. It's also not in the Lexus Personalized Settings.
Old 04-29-12, 11:10 AM
alex206
Rookie

Originally Posted by gkcmilner
Automatic seat heater is an option in the techstream computer. My dealership turns this off during the predelivery inspection. I had them turn mine on. In the owner's manual it explains how this is a benefit if you frequently drive in eco mode and it's cold out. The owner's manual doesn't mention that it can't be turned off. It's also not in the Lexus Personalized Settings.
This may be true, but the owners manual didn't say you can have it left on if you so prefer. That's why I made sure to tell my service guys about it and their initial response was its a standard feature. But now we know they can turn it on or off based in our preference.
Old 05-07-12, 02:57 PM
onexcite
Lead Lap

I got my AC amplifier swap today. Mine is 3 zone with deicer.

Part # 88650-30S60

Service Bulletin: L-SB-0022-12

Took an hour. They did removed lower panel, kicker, center console trim on passenger side.

When I got the car back, some of them were losing, I have to re-install to fit all the gap.

Quick Reply: Update on Auto AC Problem