GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

My crappy day... and how Lexus made it better

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-12, 07:55 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default My crappy day... and how Lexus made it better

So, I'm a few days away from trading my Audi S5 Cab for a new GS F Sport. My Audi is in perfect condition, without even a rock chip on the front bumper. It has less than 8,000 miles. It has been pampered, hand washed, and consistently waxed. It has been my "baby". The dealership has already given me the trade-in value and we're just waiting for the GS to arrive.

Last night, a wire shelf fell in our garage. Two heavy crates of CD's fell off and it broke half a dozen flourescent lights that were propped up underneath it. The whole passenger side of my S5 was covered in white powder and dust. When I cleaned it off there were multiple dents in quite a few places, almost like hail damage, and small scratches that couldn't be buffed out. I was freaked.

I called the Lexus dealership immediately and told them what had happened. I took the car by and they drove it over to the used car manager. Unfortunately, they took $1,000 off the trade-in value, which was about what I expected. But things got better.

We went ahead with the paperwork, so all I have to do is pick up the car next week, and while going over the figures the finance manager added in the Conquest Savings (because I'm coming from an Audi) as an additional $1500 down payment, so I am actually still ahead by $500. The not-so-great surprise is that there was a miscommunication and the salesperson ordered Liquid Platinum/Cabernet rather than the Nebula Gray/Cabernet I have been expecting. But that's actually no big deal since that would have been my second choice. The Liquid Platinum is also sharp.

The best part is that Lexus took in my Audi today and gave me a '13 GS as a loaner to drive until my new car comes in. So the deal is done, I'm driving someone else's car and I'm just waiting for my car to arrive. This is also giving me time to really experience the new GS.

First of all, even with the base GS the interior is beautiful. The car is quiet but it can move when necessary. I'll admit that I do miss the immediacy of the torque in the S5 with Supercharged V6 but the power in the GS will do just fine and will get me into less trouble. I don't have Sport+ in this one, but it is still quite lively. I can't wait to see what my GS F Sport can do. This one has the standard sound system, and when I got in the car the radio was tuned to a classical FM channel and the sound blew me away. The sound with Satellite radio is much better than the B&O system in my Audi. I can't even imagine how the ML system is going to sound. Also, the display vs. the little one in my S5 is light years ahead. I love using the "mouse" and it seems very intuitive. I even went into the garage tonight and started it up with the lights on to see how the interior looks. Beautiul!

I am really impressed with this new GS, and it was great of the dealership to let me take it until my car is in to acclimate myself to all the new technology. I know I am going to love this car, and the Lexus owneship experience.

Last edited by dseag2; 04-14-12 at 08:00 PM.
Old 04-14-12, 08:20 PM
kssod
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it is the little things in life that make it enjoyable......
Old 04-14-12, 08:50 PM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 108 Likes on 60 Posts

Congrats!

I have the base sound system in my car and am still kind of disappointed with how it sounds. I'll bring it up in my first check-up service and see if they can do anything.
Old 04-14-12, 09:29 PM
Room4Tu
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats man. I am happy to hear that everything worked out in the end for you and also that you actually got your hands on a real and live GS 350! That $1500 was a pretty big surprise for me as well. Hey, maybe we can meet up someday when you have time and share some thoughts and conversations on the GS. I'm free tomorrow ~Tu
Old 04-14-12, 09:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

now that i call service. sometimes it's stuff like this that totally make / break your whole experience

congrats!
Old 04-14-12, 09:34 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Thanks, guys! I forgot how great Lexus treats their customers. That is just one more aspect of owning this great car!

Room4Tu, since they messed up on my order I actually asked them if they had Obsidian/Cabernet. I was that impressed by your car. Unfortunately, they didn't, so you will still be the only one in Dallas with that combo!
Old 04-15-12, 02:19 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Congrats! Alas, no conquest savings for me as I only have Toyota products in my stable now.
Old 04-15-12, 04:13 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

good things happen to good people.... it's called positive KARMA. glad everything worked out for you. enjoy that GS loaner,,,,,,, drive the hell out of it.
Old 04-15-12, 07:34 AM
zoombie99
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
So, I'm a few days away from trading my Audi S5 Cab for a new GS F Sport. My Audi is in perfect condition, without even a rock chip on the front bumper. It has less than 8,000 miles. It has been pampered, hand washed, and consistently waxed. It has been my "baby". The dealership has already given me the trade-in value and we're just waiting for the GS to arrive.

Last night, a wire shelf fell in our garage. Two heavy crates of CD's fell off and it broke half a dozen flourescent lights that were propped up underneath it. The whole passenger side of my S5 was covered in white powder and dust. When I cleaned it off there were multiple dents in quite a few places, almost like hail damage, and small scratches that couldn't be buffed out. I was freaked.

I called the Lexus dealership immediately and told them what had happened. I took the car by and they drove it over to the used car manager. Unfortunately, they took $1,000 off the trade-in value, which was about what I expected. But things got better.

We went ahead with the paperwork, so all I have to do is pick up the car next week, and while going over the figures the finance manager added in the Conquest Savings (because I'm coming from an Audi) as an additional $1500 down payment, so I am actually still ahead by $500. The not-so-great surprise is that there was a miscommunication and the salesperson ordered Liquid Platinum/Cabernet rather than the Nebula Gray/Cabernet I have been expecting. But that's actually no big deal since that would have been my second choice. The Liquid Platinum is also sharp.

The best part is that Lexus took in my Audi today and gave me a '13 GS as a loaner to drive until my new car comes in. So the deal is done, I'm driving someone else's car and I'm just waiting for my car to arrive. This is also giving me time to really experience the new GS.

First of all, even with the base GS the interior is beautiful. The car is quiet but it can move when necessary. I'll admit that I do miss the immediacy of the torque in the S5 with Supercharged V6 but the power in the GS will do just fine and will get me into less trouble. I don't have Sport+ in this one, but it is still quite lively. I can't wait to see what my GS F Sport can do. This one has the standard sound system, and when I got in the car the radio was tuned to a classical FM channel and the sound blew me away. The sound with Satellite radio is much better than the B&O system in my Audi. I can't even imagine how the ML system is going to sound. Also, the display vs. the little one in my S5 is light years ahead. I love using the "mouse" and it seems very intuitive. I even went into the garage tonight and started it up with the lights on to see how the interior looks. Beautiul!

I am really impressed with this new GS, and it was great of the dealership to let me take it until my car is in to acclimate myself to all the new technology. I know I am going to love this car, and the Lexus owneship experience.

How did you get conquest in April??????????
Old 04-15-12, 08:18 AM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Congrats on your car and its good to hear about your experience. Enjoy! And post some pics of your car when it comes in
Old 04-15-12, 08:33 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

glad it worked out for you!
Old 04-15-12, 10:42 AM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by zoombie99
How did you get conquest in April??????????
Maybe because I put my original deposit down on 2/29.
Old 04-15-12, 11:10 AM
GX4704ME
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

@dseag2 Now that you can play around with the GS for an extended amount of time in the loaner, what are your thoughts so far as compared to the Audi you gave up?
Old 04-15-12, 08:18 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GX4704ME
@dseag2 Now that you can play around with the GS for an extended amount of time in the loaner, what are your thoughts so far as compared to the Audi you gave up?
It is really apples to oranges. The GS is a big sedan that is comfy but can move when necessary. It is much more comfortable and quiet and has incredible technology. I personally love the mouse to get to the various programs and have found the redundant buttons for HVAC extremely easy to use. Despite what some car mags may say, I find it much easier than the MMI "dial system" in the Audi.

The Audi was a sportier car overall. The exhaust had a nice deep "purr" when I pressed the start button and it continued even at cruising speed. The torque was immediate because of the supercharged V6. Also, the double-clutch transmission offered immediate shifts, and when shifting fast there was a "pop" in the exhaust that sounded like a race car. My S5 had the Sport Differential that shifted torque to the back wheels, so it was like a go-cart in the corners. I still think the S5 Cab is the perfect balance of sport and luxury. The downside is that there was precious little interior storage space and even though the trunk space was decent for a convertible it was always a hassle for me to squeeze in my luggage. (I travel every other week.) I would have actually been happy with an S5 Coupe, but the sunroof only tilts and doesn't open, so it felt a little claustrophobic for me.

The first thing I did with this GS loaner is take a huge box that has been sitting in our garage and dispose of it. It felt great to have that cavernous trunk to haul things. I also think the standard sound system in the GS is better than the B&O system in the S5. Lots more bass and more of an encompassing feel because of the bigger space. The car is very quiet and has an impeccably finished interior, even in the base model.

I will reserve judgement until I get my GS F Sport because it will have the rear wheel drive "thingy" so I'm sure it will be as competent as the Audi in corners. Also, it will have the Mark Levinson sound system so I'm sure the sound will be "otherworldly". I love my tunes while driving.

I knew what I was getting into with the GS, and I have not been at all disappointed with the base GS I am driving. I know the GS F Sport will be even better. The S5 Cabriolet and the GS F Sport are totally different cars, so I wouldn't even begin to compare them. Maybe because I've owned Lexuses before, I know what to expect and the GS has exceeded my expectations.

I can understand why you weren't as excited as you thought you would be. The GS drives and handles really well, but it is not a "visceral" car. I was never expecting that, so I am not the least disappointed. It is really comfortable, capable and beautifully finished on the inside. If I want "visceral" I will add a used Mazda MX-5 to our garage.

Last edited by dseag2; 04-15-12 at 08:21 PM.
Old 04-15-12, 08:26 PM
GX4704ME
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
It is really apples to oranges. The GS is a big sedan that is comfy but can move when necessary. It is much more comfortable and quiet and has incredible technology. I personally love the mouse to get to the various programs and have found the redundant buttons for HVAC extremely easy to use. Despite what some car mags may say, I find it much easier than the MMI "dial system" in the Audi.

The Audi was a sportier car overall. The exhaust had a nice deep "purr" when I pressed the start button and it continued even at cruising speed. The torque was immediate because of the supercharged V6. Also, the double-clutch transmission offered immediate shifts, and when shifting fast there was a "pop" in the exhaust that sounded like a race car. My S5 had the Sport Differential that shifted torque to the back wheels, so it was like a go-cart in the corners. I still think the S5 Cab is the perfect balance of sport and luxury. The downside is that there was precious little interior storage space and even though the trunk space was decent for a convertible it was always a hassle for me to squeeze in my luggage. (I travel every other week.) I would have actually been happy with an S5 Coupe, but the sunroof only tilts and doesn't open, so it felt a little claustrophobic for me.

The first thing I did with this GS loaner is take a huge box that has been sitting in our garage and dispose of it. It felt great to have that cavernous trunk to haul things. I also think the standard sound system in the GS is better than the B&O system in the S5. Lots more bass and more of an encompassing feel because of the bigger space. The car is very quiet and has an impeccably finished interior, even in the base model.

I will reserve judgement until I get my GS F Sport because it will have the rear wheel drive "thingy" so I'm sure it will be as competent as the Audi in corners. Also, it will have the Mark Levinson sound system so I'm sure the sound will be "otherworldly". I love my tunes while driving.

I knew what I was getting into with the GS, and I have not been at all disappointed with the base GS I am driving. I know the GS F Sport will be even better. The S5 Cabriolet and the GS F Sport are totally different cars, so I wouldn't even begin to compare them. Maybe because I've owned Lexuses before, I know what to expect and the GS has exceeded my expectations.

I can understand why you weren't as excited as you thought you would be. The GS drives and handles really well, but it is not a "visceral" car. I was never expecting that, so I am not the least disappointed. It is really comfortable, capable and beautifully finished on the inside. If I want "visceral" I will add a used Mazda MX-5 to our garage.
Excellent write up.......thanks!

Quick Reply: My crappy day... and how Lexus made it better