GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Rattles anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-16, 01:00 PM
sarmyth
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Gs21
Anyone know how to remove this plastic trim piece below the ac vent, its rattling and driving me nuts
It just pries out. Take a thin trim removal tool and work the bottom edge right above the padded dash and left side in the driver doorwell. It has 4 spring clips which hold the piece in. Just be sure you're prying on the speckled silver portion, not on the carbon fiber trim... the trim is connected to the silver portion with a couple screws from behind.

I've had the dealer "fix" this twice... fixed it myself for real just a couple weeks ago =)
Old 08-29-16, 07:18 PM
Gs21
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sarmyth
It just pries out. Take a thin trim removal tool and work the bottom edge right above the padded dash and left side in the driver doorwell. It has 4 spring clips which hold the piece in. Just be sure you're prying on the speckled silver portion, not on the carbon fiber trim... the trim is connected to the silver portion with a couple screws from behind.

I've had the dealer "fix" this twice... fixed it myself for real just a couple weeks ago =)
I'm ordering a set of those removal tools on amazon right now,

I'll most likely felt the whole thing but did you focus on any specific contact points?

Thanks for the advice, appreciate it, I can't wait to fix this
Old 08-30-16, 09:20 AM
sarmyth
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Gs21
I'll most likely felt the whole thing but did you focus on any specific contact points?
Yes, the dealer had put felt on the surface of a couple of the spring clips, and on the top of the panel where it contacts the plastic for the vent. I felted the surface of the other spring clips and right and bottom side of the panel. My guess as to what's "ticking" is the spring clips don't have enough tension to securely hold the trim piece in place... the tick is the piece sliding in and out on the spring clip itself when you hit a bump.

The extra felt on the clip provides enough force to wedge those spring clips in place. That's my theory at least and so far, so good!
Old 08-31-16, 07:45 PM
Gs21
Rookie

Originally Posted by sarmyth
Yes, the dealer had put felt on the surface of a couple of the spring clips, and on the top of the panel where it contacts the plastic for the vent. I felted the surface of the other spring clips and right and bottom side of the panel. My guess as to what's "ticking" is the spring clips don't have enough tension to securely hold the trim piece in place... the tick is the piece sliding in and out on the spring clip itself when you hit a bump.

The extra felt on the clip provides enough force to wedge those spring clips in place. That's my theory at least and so far, so good!
Thanks for the help, I'll get on this as soon as the removal tools come in
Old 04-05-23, 05:05 PM
MrG24
10th Gear

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts
Default My First Rattle

So I have this rattle coming from the right rear. I noticed just above the muffler is a piece of metal that's come loose. It looks like some sort of shield. Right now, it's just annoying. I am do for service soon but might want to fix myself if it's an easy fix. Any help is appreciated.
Old 04-06-23, 11:25 PM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 212 Posts

Is the rattle coming from the driver's side door/floor area a common one or custom made for me? It's only ever present when over 5000rpm and it rattles faster the more I rev it.
It won't happen in neutral and is unrelated to what the sound system is doing (not the common mirror switch issue)
Am RHD.
Old 04-10-23, 06:13 PM
fhan888
Driver

Default Sunroof gasket

Originally Posted by zoombie99
A lot of us 3rd gen owners had problems with rattles. Any problems with the new GS?
I had the notorious sunroof rattle. I was able to confirm by leaving the glass closed but opening the sunshade. It’s noticeably quieter with the shade closed but it was still there when closed just not as loud. Replaced the rubber gasket and after some fiddling g with alignment its quiet as the day I bought it.