Rattles anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-12, 07:38 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rockyman
Thx. How far back is the seat?
I had it really far back and really high up so my elderly mother could get in the car. It is still far back but I lowered it, then I lowered the seatbelt to about halfway down. No rattle.
Old 09-24-12, 08:49 AM
steilkurve
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Grafnburgz
Hey guys,

Update: After first service, rattle was gone for a few days, maybe a week... came back. Waited a month, and second trip back in and they took apart B-pillar and placed a "noise kit" in there claiming a seat belt clip was loose. They were quite proud when they gave it back to me..... Next day, heard it again unchanged.

I told them I'm gonna let it ride until the next service and they can look at it again. I'm sure it's the same rattle everyone has... a subtle metallic or plastic vibration when you hit bumps, intermittent, but only if it hit it just right.... drives me nuts.
Thanks. Great to see I'm not alone. Clear to me now this is not a unique problem or that only select cars have it. Both you and I have had this looked at twice to no avail! Seems more widespread and that, so far, Lexus hasn't found a fix. I will bring it in later in November for scheduled maintenance and will have it looked at again then.

The one thing I am investigating right now is whether or not the noise goes away when the window is rolled down. I thought it did when checking quickly this morning on my way to work.
Old 10-30-12, 10:52 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

Regarding the "rattle/click" sound on the driver side left knee position...

If I put my fingers between the door and the dash....sound goes away. Makes no sense. I haven't called my dealer yet. I only really hear it when the stereo is off, but it's more than intermittent. It's also just came to my attention since it has gotten colder.

Anyone else have any updates?
Old 11-05-12, 06:28 AM
JOELC
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Giving up

Guys, I think it is best to resign to the fact that this car has many rattles. I started out with a small annoying tic that I finally pin pointed to be under the passenger side dash. I took the pannel off under the glove compartment and narrowed it down to a large wire cluster. When I grabbed the cluster the sound went away. To solve it I tied the thing tight to a back bracket so it always had tension on it.

Secondly the BACK PASSENGER DOOR started to rattle and when I stretched back and put pressure on the panel it would stop.

THIRDLY, the FRONT PASSENGER DOOR started to rattle and I can't figure that one out yet...

FOURTHLY, the passenger seat rattles when no one is in it. I solved that one by wedging a pen (with a rubberized thicker finish) under the panel where the seat adjustment buttons are. It seems to have fixed that one.

The week I had the car I was in heaven, but after that it was down hill continuously. I also know that the dealers don't know squat about what they are doing. I have had enough cars to know that full out, so I am not going to waste my precious time on a "trial and error" approach. I feel it will only frustrate me more. I am going to resign to the fact that I have rattles.

I remember now the reason i don't like buying brand new!

I also don't remember any rattles what so ever on my 2004 BMW 545 trade in that had over 140,000 miles on it!

Last edited by JOELC; 11-05-12 at 06:30 AM. Reason: typos
Old 11-05-12, 06:54 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JOELC
Guys, I think it is best to resign to the fact that this car has many rattles.
Your car must have been made on a Friday, right before closing time.

I've had mine since May and there are no rattles anywhere. I am very happy with the build quality of this car.
Old 11-05-12, 07:23 AM
chuckyarla
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rjm
Your car must have been made on a Friday, right before closing time.

I've had mine since May and there are no rattles anywhere. I am very happy with the build quality of this car.
Me too. I'm totally OCD about this type of stuff and I can honesty say it's the quietest most rattle-free car I've ever owned - and I've had a lot of cars. By contrast, the last generation GS was the worst i ever had as regards rattles - particularly in the dash.
Old 11-10-12, 05:23 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 274 Likes on 231 Posts

Is it the F Sport with the 19s that is having the rattle issues or all the GSs including the base model with the 17s.? The firm ride can sometimes contribute to rattles.
Old 11-10-12, 08:43 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Guys, I think it is best to resign to the fact that this car has many rattles. I started out with a small annoying tic that I finally pin pointed to be under the passenger side dash. I took the pannel off under the glove compartment and narrowed it down to a large wire cluster. When I grabbed the cluster the sound went away. To solve it I tied the thing tight to a back bracket so it always had tension on it.

Secondly the BACK PASSENGER DOOR started to rattle and when I stretched back and put pressure on the panel it would stop.

THIRDLY, the FRONT PASSENGER DOOR started to rattle and I can't figure that one out yet...

FOURTHLY, the passenger seat rattles when no one is in it. I solved that one by wedging a pen (with a rubberized thicker finish) under the panel where the seat adjustment buttons are. It seems to have fixed that one.

The week I had the car I was in heaven, but after that it was down hill continuously. I also know that the dealers don't know squat about what they are doing. I have had enough cars to know that full out, so I am not going to waste my precious time on a "trial and error" approach. I feel it will only frustrate me more. I am going to resign to the fact that I have rattles.

I also don't remember any rattles what so ever on my 2004 BMW 545 trade in that had over 140,000 miles on it!
I'm not doubting your issues, but don't generalize that "this car has many rattles". YOUR car has many rattles. The only rattle I have is a slight squeaking by the driver's side window. I will get that checked during my 5,000 mile service, but I have no other rattles and I am in Dallas where the roads are rough and full of potholes. If they can't fix it, I can barely hear it with the ML sound system turned up.
Old 04-07-13, 10:50 PM
larryinWA
Pole Position

My car arrives from Japan Tuesday morning. Just want to say that I hope the Lexus engineers are reading your posts, and thanks for posting! I'll begin checking for unwanted noises in a couple of weeks.
Old 04-07-13, 10:59 PM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think the door rattles are the same ones i have, it's the adhesive sound thats making a light ticking sound.
Old 03-09-14, 10:30 PM
jmtamu
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OMG, I have had my new F Sport for about 24 hours now and I am hearing the little tic noise from what I feel is coming from the driver's side seatbelt. It is very faint, but I am incredibly **** about any rattles and it is driving me nucking futs already. I feel like taking the car back to them first thing tomorrow and telling them to fix it or take the car back.

Again, it's very faint and I wouldn't even call it a rattle but there is a tiny little ticking sound coming from the driver's side window or seat belt that is ruining an otherwise perfect vehicle for me.

Has anybody had any luck getting this fixed?
Old 03-09-14, 11:32 PM
msp713
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jmtamu
OMG, I have had my new F Sport for about 24 hours now and I am hearing the little tic noise from what I feel is coming from the driver's side seatbelt. It is very faint, but I am incredibly **** about any rattles and it is driving me nucking futs already. I feel like taking the car back to them first thing tomorrow and telling them to fix it or take the car back.

Again, it's very faint and I wouldn't even call it a rattle but there is a tiny little ticking sound coming from the driver's side window or seat belt that is ruining an otherwise perfect vehicle for me.

I have a '14 GS F Sport and am starting to get the annoying little rattling sounds. I had held off on the '13 deals hoping that things like this would have gotten resolved with the '14's. Guess I was wrong..
Old 03-09-14, 11:35 PM
richard203
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by jmtamu

its the seat belt hitting the plastic piller.
Old 03-10-14, 04:39 AM
GS14AWD
Rookie

Places I looked for driver's side rattle.
1. Hood release cable, metal hitting hard plastic parts.
2. Leather surrounds from instrument cluster, easily pops out, some hard plastic clips were loose enough to make cliking noise.
3. Plastic panel that has BSM and other things, this also has plastic clips that were very loose.
4. Windows control panel, this also has plastic clilps that were very loose, one was actually making clicking noise as I move it around.
5. Driver side knee panel, only partially removed, all clips seemed fine.

It took care of majority of plastic tapping noise for me. But it is still there, very slight one on certain conditions.

I remember watching a video review of Hyundai Santa Fe and the reviewer seemed disturbed with rattles in the car and said "38k car shouldn't have these rattles".
Old 03-16-14, 02:58 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

I've been bitten by the rattle snake!

While playing music yesterday I heard the driver window control rattling in the door. I've been able to move the controls within the door with my fingers since I've had the car but they've never rattled. Oddly enough though, it was only on that particular song. The song, ironically was Magic by Coldplay lol.

Quick Reply: Rattles anyone?