GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Rattles anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-14, 09:03 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Damn it, I am getting rattles in the passenger side near the door and glovebox. I cannot hear it but my family members can detect it and it gets worse when braking. Since i cannot hear it, I will hold off messing with it for now since I am the sole person in the car 99% of the time.
Old 03-29-14, 11:05 AM
Needsdecaf
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My passenger seat rattles a bit. Disappointing at less than 500 miles...
Old 03-29-14, 07:00 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
My passenger seat rattles a bit. Disappointing at less than 500 miles...
You can look at my earlier post re: moving the seat around (backward, downward, etc.) That fixed mine. The ONLY rattle I have after 2 years and 15k miles is the passenger side seatbelt, which hits the plastic behind the door. Sometimes I buckle it with no one in the car just to eliminate it, but if that's all I've got I'll live with it.
Old 04-15-14, 05:31 AM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JOELC
Guys, I think it is best to resign to the fact that this car has many rattles. I started out with a small annoying tic that I finally pin pointed to be under the passenger side dash. I took the pannel off under the glove compartment and narrowed it down to a large wire cluster. When I grabbed the cluster the sound went away. To solve it I tied the thing tight to a back bracket so it always had tension on it.

Secondly the BACK PASSENGER DOOR started to rattle and when I stretched back and put pressure on the panel it would stop.

THIRDLY, the FRONT PASSENGER DOOR started to rattle and I can't figure that one out yet...

FOURTHLY, the passenger seat rattles when no one is in it. I solved that one by wedging a pen (with a rubberized thicker finish) under the panel where the seat adjustment buttons are. It seems to have fixed that one.

The week I had the car I was in heaven, but after that it was down hill continuously. I also know that the dealers don't know squat about what they are doing. I have had enough cars to know that full out, so I am not going to waste my precious time on a "trial and error" approach. I feel it will only frustrate me more. I am going to resign to the fact that I have rattles.

I remember now the reason i don't like buying brand new!

I also don't remember any rattles what so ever on my 2004 BMW 545 trade in that had over 140,000 miles on it!
Just thought I would check in on the 4th Generation. I searched for rattle and up popped this thread. I have 'had it' with Lexus. My 2007 GS350 rattled and I had it taken apart 4 times at the dealership. They could not fix it.

Contrast this with my 2011 Genesis. Solid as a Brick going on 4 years. I am going shopping for another Genesis this week. After reading this thread, I won't even have to stop at the Lexus Dealer. I will be free of Lexus soon!
Old 04-15-14, 06:02 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You guys must have some rough roads. I've had my GS350 for 2 years now and NO rattles.
Old 04-15-14, 07:29 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

My seat moves a little when at take offs, sharp turns, and braking. Is that normal?

I also have a popping noise near the driver's dash area whenever I make a right turn into a driveway a little too fast. Just one pop, happened twice already. If I take it slow then no noise.
Old 04-15-14, 10:39 AM
elusive
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a rattle coming from the passenger dashboard area, and the dealer fixed it during my routine service. They stated that there was a loose bolt in the glove box area connecting the dash and that they added insulation as well. No rattles since
Old 05-02-14, 04:51 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have rattles coming from the buttons on the driver side door. If I put my hands over the buttons (window lock, open/close window button, etc...) it stops rattling.

Last edited by sam430; 05-02-14 at 06:55 PM.
Old 05-02-14, 05:30 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Old 05-02-14, 06:56 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by islandbeef
mMmmm MnM........
Old 05-08-14, 07:32 AM
RICHUT96
Driver School Candidate

Default Moon roof rattle

Originally Posted by caddyowner
I recently started hearing an occasional rattle in the roof area, possibly the sunroof shade, on certain areas of rough pavement. It seems to occur with a bit more frequency when the shade closed rather than open.
Purchased my F Sport May'13, have a moon roof rattle above driver side since day 1. Only present/audible between 30-40 Mph. Decided on my 15K (May '14) service visit to have a technician look in to it. Went on a drive with one, he heard it loud and clear. Keep my car overnight trying to 'fix' the rattle. In the end said nothing they can do and it was NORMAL, as 2 other same model cars they test drove did the same thing.

I am going to bring it up the next couple of service trips just to press it. This isnt occasionally for me like some of the other rattles I have noticed and similar to those you all have pointed out...for me its everytime i'm cruising my neighborhood area with moonroof open, mind you its even on a smooth road. They loaned me a CT200h, same scenario, didnt hear a peep ...
Old 05-18-14, 01:43 PM
Fsmile
Driver School Candidate

Did dealer have some soulutions to fix our rattles yet?
Old 05-18-14, 05:22 PM
Infamous3
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

both door panels driver and passenger rattle when a bass-heavy song plays. I don't know what to do about it
Old 05-25-14, 10:02 AM
Kajn
Rookie

I have a rattle at the left side dash since I purchased my 2013 GS350. It began soft in sound and after 7 months has gotten extremely loud. I took car in last Monday. Dealership kept it till Wed. Said it was a clamp that worked itself loose/free and they fixed it. Well same day rattle back sounding again. So I have another appt on Tuesday to bring it in. There is not another sound in this vehicle but the tick-tick-tick all the way home. Drives me insane and music doesn't deter the sound one bit. In fact the service manage who test drove when I dropped vehicle off said "wow I hear that, it's quite loud". Other than that car is great. I forgot to mention that if I put my hand through the steering wheel and put my fingers with a little pressure it will stop the noise. Back to dealership Tuesday.

Last edited by Kajn; 05-25-14 at 11:01 AM.
Old 05-25-14, 06:40 PM
GSCT
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's another rattle story. Our 2014 GS AWD F Sport had a really annoying cold weather rattle (it stopped when the car was warm). The technician at the dealer traced it to the box behind the coffee cup holders - the one that has the seat heat/cool controls - and ordered a new one. Initially it worked, but it came back. While trying to see what was making it, I pulled up on the box area and now the rattle is gone for good (well, for the last week anyway). I can only hope it lasts!

Quick Reply: Rattles anyone?