GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Car revving

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-12, 08:26 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Car revving

when i am in s or s plus mode on the highway, the car revs and seems to stay at that revving point, i hit the gas (just A little) and the car does not accel, it stays at the same speed but i can hear it rev and the car seems to slow down, and my foot isn't on the gas. i hope i am explaining it right. does anyone know what could have happened or does anyone think it is a problem. is it something with the automatic gear, is it choosing one for me or what? i don't know i just hope there isn't a problem.

Last edited by sydtoosic; 04-15-12 at 08:28 PM. Reason: adding
Old 04-15-12, 08:42 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When in sport mode the car holds the gears longer so when youd normally expect it to shift up, it wont. And if you let off since the engine is holding the revs itll decelerate. Its perfectly normal.
Old 04-16-12, 07:16 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SRTGS300
When in sport mode the car holds the gears longer so when youd normally expect it to shift up, it wont. And if you let off since the engine is holding the revs itll decelerate. Its perfectly normal.
thanx SRTGS300. i thought there was a problem.
Old 04-16-12, 07:26 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Perfectly normal. Do not release the accel pedal too fast after pushing down on it hard or it will stay in the gear you left it in and will resume once you push it again so that it can upshift when it needs to. Otherwise manually upshift it. I have had this on my BMW too.
Old 04-16-12, 09:58 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Rexus300
Perfectly normal. Do not release the accel pedal too fast after pushing down on it hard or it will stay in the gear you left it in and will resume once you push it again so that it can upshift when it needs to. Otherwise manually upshift it. I have had this on my BMW too.
thanx Rexus300. glad to hear everything is well.
Old 04-16-12, 11:25 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

sydtoosic

Quick question and off topic, I find my F-sport to have a slight choppy ride on certain highways and I wonder if it really those badly rated firm bridgestone turanza tires. How do you feel about them on highways and grooved roads. Someone told me he switched to Michelins and the ride as well a handling improved quite a bit. I love the way it rides around town and back roads and the handling but I do some driving on the highway each week and want to make it more tolerable. Its smooth on asphalt highways but on cement highways, the tires seems to pick up noise and tend to pick up more irregularities from the road.

Last edited by Rexus300; 04-16-12 at 11:42 AM.
Old 04-16-12, 08:30 PM
jedimaster
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sydtoosic

Quick question and off topic, I find my F-sport to have a slight choppy ride on certain highways and I wonder if it really those badly rated firm bridgestone turanza tires. How do you feel about them on highways and grooved roads. Someone told me he switched to Michelins and the ride as well a handling improved quite a bit. I love the way it rides around town and back roads and the handling but I do some driving on the highway each week and want to make it more tolerable. Its smooth on asphalt highways but on cement highways, the tires seems to pick up noise and tend to pick up more irregularities from the road.
My luxury comes with Michelins Primacy and I can tell you that the ride is incredibly smooth and quiet. In fact, it is so quiet that I have to turn on music!
Old 04-16-12, 08:39 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jedimaster
My luxury comes with Michelins Primacy and I can tell you that the ride is incredibly smooth and quiet. In fact, it is so quiet that I have to turn on music!
Thanks Jedimaster. I am ordering those Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires this week to have them put on next week. I will store those Bridgestones until lease return in 3 years.
Old 04-16-12, 09:27 PM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 88 Likes on 55 Posts

sydtoosic

Hey - I noticed the same choppiness when driving a base car - and it wasn't apparent on the luxury. So I figured it was something to do with the AVS.

I ended up buying an F-Sport - and actually felt a bit of the same choppiness. My guess is that it's a combination of tire size, wheels, and the AVS.

All the cars were AWD

It's not bad - but it is noticeable.
Old 04-16-12, 10:57 PM
wlmngtn310
Driver

It's a combination of the sport suspension, and tires. The tires are high performance profile, so you will definitely feel the road. But I honestly love it, which is why I purchases the F-Sport; to feel the road. Guess I am used to harsh suspensions, coming from my ultra stiff G37 coupe which was on coilovers.
Old 04-16-12, 11:14 PM
jedimaster
Driver

Originally Posted by mehran888
Hey - I noticed the same choppiness when driving a base car - and it wasn't apparent on the luxury. So I figured it was something to do with the AVS.

I ended up buying an F-Sport - and actually felt a bit of the same choppiness. My guess is that it's a combination of tire size, wheels, and the AVS.

All the cars were AWD

It's not bad - but it is noticeable.
My luxury 4GS has AVS. After driving various tires on 3GS, I can tell you that tire DOES make a difference in ride quality. I remember test driving the luxury 4GS with dunlop on it and I don't think it was as smooth/quiet ride as Michelin Primacy. I was so happy when my car arrived with Michelin instead of Dunlop.
Old 04-17-12, 07:41 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jedimaster
My luxury 4GS has AVS. After driving various tires on 3GS, I can tell you that tire DOES make a difference in ride quality. I remember test driving the luxury 4GS with dunlop on it and I don't think it was as smooth/quiet ride as Michelin Primacy. I was so happy when my car arrived with Michelin instead of Dunlop.
You got that right 100%!! My 2008 BMW 335i was choppy with the runflats so I switched to the Michelin Pilot Exaltos a/s and its much smoother on the highway than my Lexus GS F-Sport with those terrible Bridgestones. Tirerack reps told me those tires are causing my poor ride on highways and I should get decent tires that will enhance my handling while giving me a good ride. Same thing happened on my 3GS when switching from Dunlops to the Michelins. The car transformed. I know that the F-Sport with the AVS will drive and handle alot better with the Michelins compared to the standard touring bridgestone turanaz el400-02 tires. Its appalling that they have them on this car.