GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Cup Holders in 4GS

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-12, 06:29 AM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 101 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Cup Holders in 4GS

So when I picked up my car (and test drove it for that matter), I never looked very carefully at the cup holder. However, the second I tried to use it, I realized that it's not able to hold anything upright. It's basically just a big empty box.

Then today on my drive to work - it got me thinking. Maybe there is an insert they removed (my car was the showroom model, and both the control stick and the shiftknob were missing on delivery) that should have been put in upon delivery.

Can someone please either take a picture of the front cupholders - or confirm that it can in fact hold two cups (right now anything smaller than a big gulp will fall over).

Tia,
M
Old 04-19-12, 06:37 AM
Room4Tu
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mehran,

I don't have a picture for you yet but I noticed that in both of my cup holders, that there is a plastic "finger or tab", not sure what to call it, that is spring loaded to accomodate for the different diameters of your cups and liquid containers. So far, this loaded spring finger or tab seems to do a good job for me holding my spill proof coffe mugs and water bottles. I haven't tried it with much else because I won't alllow any food or beverages in my car yet. I will try and snap a pic ;ater for you if no one does before me. ~Tu
Old 04-19-12, 06:52 AM
jedimaster
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mehran888
So when I picked up my car (and test drove it for that matter), I never looked very carefully at the cup holder. However, the second I tried to use it, I realized that it's not able to hold anything upright. It's basically just a big empty box.

Then today on my drive to work - it got me thinking. Maybe there is an insert they removed (my car was the showroom model, and both the control stick and the shiftknob were missing on delivery) that should have been put in upon delivery.

Can someone please either take a picture of the front cupholders - or confirm that it can in fact hold two cups (right now anything smaller than a big gulp will fall over).

Tia,
M
Yeah, someone probably removed the insert. The insert can be removed for cleaning according to owner's manual.
Old 04-19-12, 07:11 AM
mehran888
Advanced

Yeah - thanks guys. You confirmed my thoughts. I don't know why I had assumed that Lexus just overlooked the cupholder thing. I was also thinking that maybe Lexus threw cup holders out the door - as something unnecessary in a sports sedan.

No need for a picture.
Old 04-19-12, 07:11 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mehran888

Tia,
M
they owe you an insert. they'll probably take it from another GS on the lot.
Old 04-19-12, 07:27 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Ooh, the insert comes out? Great! I don't care about having a cup holder 99% of the time, but would welcome a storage box. Thanks!
Old 04-19-12, 07:59 AM
Room4Tu
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by caddyowner
Ooh, the insert comes out? Great! I don't care about having a cup holder 99% of the time, but would welcome a storage box. Thanks!
This is my same thought as well. I have used the front cup holders for storage rather actually holding cups 99% of the time since owning the car.
Old 04-19-12, 08:06 AM
mehran888
Advanced

Originally Posted by caddyowner
You're welcome!
Old 04-19-12, 08:13 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Room4Tu
This is my same thought as well. I have used the front cup holders for storage rather actually holding cups 99% of the time since owning the car.
Yeah, I'm over 1,000 miles and still waiting for the 1% to use the cupholders to hold a drink. However, my GF and I are planning some road trips for the summer & fall and I suspect the cupholders will find their intended use.
Old 04-19-12, 09:19 AM
GSTONY
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ya you are sopose to have this middle piece that Split the drink and you can remove it to fit bigger drink
Old 04-19-12, 09:45 AM
gyung
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The one time you do need the cup holder, you'll hate not having that insert. However, it's better than having a cupholder's sole purpose is to spill drinks on you. Damn you S2000!
Old 04-19-12, 09:56 AM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Maybe a customer stole it and the shift **** from off the showroom, it has happened before...
Old 04-19-12, 09:56 AM
mehran888
Advanced

Originally Posted by gyung
The one time you do need the cup holder, you'll hate not having that insert. However, it's better than having a cupholder's sole purpose is to spill drinks on you. Damn you S2000!
+1 - I've been driving to work with one hand on the wheel and one hand on my mug.
Old 04-19-12, 09:58 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Surprising that they delivered the car without the shift **** - kinda hard to miss that
Old 04-19-12, 01:10 PM
mehran888
Advanced

Originally Posted by jj14
Surprising that they delivered the car without the shift **** - kinda hard to miss that
Yeah - they drove it up from the garage with no shift ****. That made no sense to me.

Quick Reply: Cup Holders in 4GS