GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Is The 4th Gen GS THE Game Changer For Lexus?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-12, 03:17 PM
Jim1755
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know if it will be a game changer or not for Lexus but I do know it is getting potential buyers into the Lexus showrooms to have a look at it and do a test drive.

I'm in the process of shopping around to replace my Infiniti M35 and have been looking at and driving the usual suspects which are the 535i, A6, M37/M56 and the GS350. I have no brand loyalties and am approaching this as open minded as I can. Each have their strengths and weaknesses and are good cars. Until today, I had only driven the other 3 but hadn't had a chance to drive the GS 350. I did not consider Lexus when I was shopping for my 2009 Infiniti. Today, the GS 350 is right up there with the other players.

I ruled out the M37 almost immediately. I'm not in love with the styling, the engine has grown more course in the move 3.7L, it drives like a very big car and the noise/NHV is just as bad as with my 2009. I like my M35 better and would keep it before shelling out the money for a new M37.

The 535i has a lot of things I like about it. Wonderful seats (multi-contour), classy interior, buttery smooth N55 engine, great 8 spd tranny, solid feel inside, solid feel when highway driving, quiet, I love the classic BMW look, good fuel economy. The bad - it gets stupid expensive when I modestly option it with the things I would like on my car - the packages are killers, handling leaves a lot to be desired - it feels every bit of the 2 tons it weighs, turbo lag, you can only get it with run-flat tires (a huge negative to me - maybe a deal killer), it comes standard with that famous German car reliability.

The A6 is interesting. Great powertrain with it's torquey S/C V-6 and same 8 spd. transmission the 535i uses. AWD standard (I don't need), the interior is modern and clean looking. Electronic tour de force at a fairly reasonable price, full LED lights, great info display between the tach and speedo, feels and drives lighter than the 535i, comes with regular tires. The bad - I'm not in love the looks here either, the seats suck (deal killer - no way am I paying $60k for a car with those seats), the interior while being a nice modern place doesn't exude the solid feel I get in the BMW & Lexus - feels cheaper, not as quiet as the BMW & Lexus, the A/C didn't seem very strong, I hate the motorized screen (start a pool on how long it will be before it stops working), isn't as good of highway cruiser, questionable dealer network, like the BMW it comes standard with that famous German car reliability.

I finally got to do a couple of test drives in a new GS 350 today and came away generally impressed. While I don't love the looks I could live with them. Interior is beautiful and feels very rich and solid. Seats are very comfortable and supportive, maybe a tie with BMW for comfort. ML sounded good. Comes with enough goodies in the Luxury package to keep me happy. Drives very nice (didn't get a chance to really test the handling). The one word that comes to mind is refined. Very quiet smooth. Feels pretty light on it's feet, climate control seemed to work nicely. 6 spd tranny not as limiting as I had feared, comes with regular tires. The bad - not sure I like the joy stick controller - could probably get used to it though. Interior felt a little small - not really a minus, just the feeling I got. Limited option packages, take what they give you - no a la cart, don't like the Luxury package wheels, dealers seem to be getting close to MSRP for the cars now - still cheaper than BMW even @ invoice with a $1000 allowance from BMW. New car, but I'd bet on Lexus reliability over BMW & Audi any day. Generally well thought of dealer network. All in all, a very positive experience.

I won't be purchasing until late summer/fall but I have to say at this point the GS 350 has pulled into the lead. The 535i is second. The Audi (seats) and Infiniti (not on the level with the other cars) are out.
Old 05-19-12, 05:13 PM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The GS 350 is my first Lexus. I cross-shopped the Audi A6 3.0 T, Infiniti M37x, and Mercedes-Benz E350 4matic.

The Audi was the closest contender. It drove almost as well as the Lexus but it was definitely a heavier car in feel. It felt like driving a modified FWD platform. If there was a difference in acceleration versus the Lexus it was purely academic. The Audi lacked multiple features at the same price point. I would have had to pony up to the Prestige trim level with the Sport package to equal the Lexus with the Luxury Package.

The Infiniti was immediately removed from contention after a single test drive. The sound levels are higher than those in cars costing $20,000 less. The ride was poorly controlled. There were no handling advantages in this platform despite its crude nature. Its interior is not up to the standards of this class. There is far too much cheap plastic acreage.

The Mercedes-Benz was also removed from the competition after a single test drive. While it was quiet and fairly refined in ride it was also quite bland to drive. All of the driver controls felt lifeless and the car was not comfortable with any sort of dynamic driving. The interior was inferior to those found in the Audi and the Lexus. The dash exhibited a distinct rattling noise during the test drive. Its feature set is a generation behind the rest of the class.

I did not consider the BMW 535i xDrive for a couple of reasons. I'm not a fan of the current styling. The pricing is "premium" (inflated) just like it is on the Mercedes-Benz. Again, feature for feature, I would have been spending significantly more. I've been in BMWs before and it's like sitting in a Teutonic coal bin. Finally, I'm not sure if I have a large enough ego to drive a BMW based on my experiences with their drivers on the road.

In both qualitative and quantitative terms I found the Lexus GS 350 to be the best choice for me.