GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Comments on the Navigation System?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-12, 05:34 PM
Leo23
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Comments on the Navigation System?

Any improvements made over the 3GS in regard to quality of routing and roads recognition?

Thanks
Old 04-23-12, 06:41 PM
jedimaster
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Leo23
Any improvements made over the 3GS in regard to quality of routing and roads recognition?

Thanks
I always thought 3 choices of route on the 3GS was pretty good. I now get the traffic flow and the accident reports which I didn't get with my 3GS. Oh, no more DVD map. It has hard drive that you upgrade via USB.
Old 04-23-12, 06:58 PM
Leo23
Driver

Originally Posted by jedimaster
I always thought 3 choices of route on the 3GS was pretty good. I now get the traffic flow and the accident reports which I didn't get with my 3GS. Oh, no more DVD map. It has hard drive that you upgrade via USB.
Yes, I do think the 3GS works fine, but occasionally it does not recognize some 'old' roads in nyc, which is surprising.
Another thing that bugs me is that it doesn't matter whether I check toll roads or not... it will drive me to toll roads even that there are simple or simpler alternatives. Overall I'm a satisfied user, I just wish the 4gs being even more impeccable when it comes to navigation.

By the way: Can you input addresses while driving?
Old 04-23-12, 07:20 PM
SpEe1113
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Leo23
Yes, I do think the 3GS works fine, but occasionally it does not recognize some 'old' roads in nyc, which is surprising.
Another thing that bugs me is that it doesn't matter whether I check toll roads or not... it will drive me to toll roads even that there are simple or simpler alternatives. Overall I'm a satisfied user, I just wish the 4gs being even more impeccable when it comes to navigation.

By the way: Can you input addresses while driving?
You can input an address while driving through the voice commands, otherwise I'm pretty sure you need to be stopped to manually type it in.
Old 04-23-12, 07:50 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SpEe1113
You can input an address while driving through the voice commands, otherwise I'm pretty sure you need to be stopped to manually type it in.
Correct. Only through voice commands while driving.
Old 04-23-12, 09:21 PM
Room4Tu
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SpEe1113
Or you can call desitination assist and have them input for you so you don't have to type anything.
Old 04-23-12, 10:39 PM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Still no 3D / Birdview map. No speed limit info. Backup camera no predict course line.
Old 04-24-12, 04:59 AM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

What is predict course line? The one that moves? Cuz it has the lines that show the boundaries
Old 04-24-12, 08:08 PM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Navigation

I know the new gps system is greatly improved, but the HDD navigation came out on the 2010 model year.
Old 04-24-12, 08:11 PM
wlmngtn310
Driver

Originally Posted by onexcite
Still no 3D / Birdview map. No speed limit info. Backup camera no predict course line.
This, and this exactly. I miss all that, which I had on my G37. I hate the 2D (top view) map, never got used to it. As for speed limit info, I can live with out that... however, the predicting lines I miss a lot, also.
Old 04-25-12, 01:48 AM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusNN
What is predict course line? The one that moves? Cuz it has the lines that show the boundaries
Mine 2011 Sienna had predict course line: the one that moves. Same as mine 09 G37.

I'm sure if all 4GS owners made some complaints to Lexus, they will fix it by some software update.
Old 06-04-12, 07:51 PM
JOELC
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea, I have had my 350F for approx 2 months now. it is quite up to date with new street names etc, but on many occasions, if I did not know the route some what, it would have taken me way out of the ball park. Once I decided to just follow it to see what it would do. Half way down the wrong road it corrected itself and got back or route.

Many other times it does not pick the fastest route, or the highway routes and will instead go some other way. Needless to say I am not truly confident in its navigation abilities. It is best to know kind of where you are going first, especially if highways are something you would rather do.

The main pet peeve is it truly BUGS ME why the NAV system allows you, while driving, to search "previous Destinations, etc, but it does not allow you to type in a new address when driving. Is there ANY WAY to bypass the safety features of this system? It truly tarnishes this system BIG TIME!.
Old 06-05-12, 06:25 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JOELC
The main pet peeve is it truly BUGS ME why the NAV system allows you, while driving, to search "previous Destinations, etc, but it does not allow you to type in a new address when driving. Is there ANY WAY to bypass the safety features of this system? It truly tarnishes this system BIG TIME!.
Why would you want to bypass a safety feature that is put there for your protection? I don't find it that inconvenient to pull over and stop and type in a new address. That way I don't endanger everyone else on the road while playing with some electronic device while driving. There is nothing more terrifying than looking in your rearview mirror and seeing a teenage driver 3 feet from your rear bumper talking or texting on a cellphone or playing with their nav system.
Old 06-05-12, 07:22 AM
PLAYTYM
Lead Lap

Not sure if this was there before, but I noticed the GPS shows you all the interstate crossovers where cops like to sit. I find that very helpful!!!
Old 06-05-12, 07:29 AM
Room4Tu
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PLAYTYM
Not sure if this was there before, but I noticed the GPS shows you all the interstate crossovers where cops like to sit. I find that very helpful!!!
What do I need to do to view or use this feature?

Quick Reply: Comments on the Navigation System?