GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Car reading back e-mails

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-12, 07:02 AM
danjb
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

One other note on the Galaxy Nexus and the GS 350: connecting the Galaxy Nexus to the USB port on the GS 350 does not cause the GS 350 to recognize the Galaxy Nexus as a USB music source for songs you have stored on the phone. I have tried the Galaxy Nexus in both "media device" and "camera" USB mode with no difference. The GS 350 will show the phone as a bluetooth audio source, but it will not show it as having a browseable music library via the USB connection. That means you can't browse your music collection on the GS 350 screen, can't select songs / artists by voice, etc.

I have not debugged this much. It may be I don't have my music in the right folder (it's in the /Music folder), or I may not have the right software or USB settings enabled, although I did look through the USB settings and didn't see anything that leapt out. I guess it's not a big deal, as a USB memory stick with music on it is cheap enough. However, it's disappointing to think that no doubt iPhones just automatically work in this mode, whereas the Galaxy Nexus doesn't.

Any tip on getting this to work would be appreciated!
Old 05-09-12, 07:20 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

With my EVO 3D, I don't really need to plug the phone in at all - it is able to stream over Bluetooth to the GS. Is there a reason you prefer the USB connection instead of the bluetooth? (BT doesn't let me search by voice - while a USB stick does)
Most of the time, I just use the USB drive instead - 32GB drive holds a decent sized collection of mp3 files

For iPhones, from what I've read, I think it requires a wired connection - can't stream over BT I think (hopefully iPhone users can confirm)

Doesn't the Nexus implement the storage slightly differently than other Android devices that have expandable storage? IIRC, it doesn't support USB Mass storage for some reason. I wonder if that is what is preventing the music transfer over USB to the GS
Old 05-09-12, 07:38 AM
danjb
Rookie

Originally Posted by jj14
Doesn't the Nexus implement the storage slightly differently than other Android devices that have expandable storage? IIRC, it doesn't support USB Mass storage for some reason. I wonder if that is what is preventing the music transfer over USB to the GS
Thank you jj14, that explains the problem! I did some more googling and it looks like the Galaxy Nexus definitely doesn't support USB mass storage mode, which I guess the GS needs to doing USB music. It is not a critical issue for me, since as you point out BT audio is more flexible in some ways (can play audio other than song files). I just wondered why it didn't work when I plugged into the car. Now I know!

Thanks!
Old 05-09-12, 10:38 AM
jedimaster
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With my EVO 3D, I don't really need to plug the phone in at all - it is able to stream over Bluetooth to the GS. Is there a reason you prefer the USB connection instead of the bluetooth? (BT doesn't let me search by voice - while a USB stick does)
Most of the time, I just use the USB drive instead - 32GB drive holds a decent sized collection of mp3 files

For iPhones, from what I've read, I think it requires a wired connection - can't stream over BT I think (hopefully iPhone users can confirm)

Nope, BT works flawlessly with iPhone. For that reason, I have yet to try the USB connection.
Old 05-09-12, 11:36 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

Thanks for the correction - yep, it works with BT for iPhone too. I misread
It just states that you can't connect using USB and BT at the same time (I guess that means that you can't recharge while streaming over BT?). With the relatively longer life of iPhones, it is probably no biggie.
Old 05-09-12, 11:47 AM
jedimaster
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the correction - yep, it works with BT for iPhone too. I misread
It just states that you can't connect using USB and BT at the same time (I guess that means that you can't recharge while streaming over BT?). With the relatively longer life of iPhones, it is probably no biggie.
I think it means you cant play music via the USB when you are steaming with BT which makes sense. But you should be able to charge. Again, I have yet to try the USB so I am not 100%. certain. Will try with my iPhone and iPad soon.
Old 05-09-12, 10:11 PM
danjb
Rookie

Thumbs up

Victory! I was able to have the car read and reply to text messages using my Galaxy Nexus phone! This was using the most recent Cyanogen CM9 rom. I had mistakenly thought I would see an indicator of some sort on the nav screen when a text message was received on the phone, but no such indicator appears. You have to go Menu -> Phone -> Messages (the Messages button appears when your phone has the bluetooth MAP profile I guess) to see messages.

I had also thought that the MAP profile would show in the Android bluetooth settings for the car device, but it doesn't. It only shows phone and audio profiles there. However, if you look at the detailed bluetooth information for the phone device on the CAR, it will show the MAP profile highlighted there if your phone has it.

The car read a few messages and I sent a few canned text replies. Pretty neat! The phone then had a bluetooth abort message of some sort, maybe due to the "under development" nature of the CM9 rom, and the car stopped being able to access messages. However, this proves the Galaxy Nexus can definitely perform this function with the GS 350!
Old 05-10-12, 05:59 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

It is great that it worked! Cool

Originally Posted by danjb
I had mistakenly thought I would see an indicator of some sort on the nav screen when a text message was received on the phone, but no such indicator appears. You have to go Menu -> Phone -> Messages (the Messages button appears when your phone has the bluetooth MAP profile I guess) to see messages.
Not sure I understood - are you saying that you don't get notified at all about an incoming message? (so how would you know that you received a message?)

Check page 528 on http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do.../sec_05-04.pdf
Are those settings set correctly? If so, it should not only notify you about the incoming message, but should also be able to read it out to you.

(I'm still out of town, so haven't had a chance to try it out yet - hopefully next week)
Old 05-10-12, 01:16 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If anyone can figure out how to get the Motorala Droid Razr Maxx or regular one to connect to the car for the sms and emails please let me know. When I connected the phone to the car it asked me to activate the MAP and I said yes, However the car is not retrieving them and I double checked the bluetooth device profiles and settings for my phone on the car screen and saw that it does have the MAP feature so what gives?
Old 05-10-12, 01:33 PM
jj14
Lead Lap

@Rexus300 - I believe that needs to be enabled on the phone too, but the way to enable it apparently varies by phone. You can see the steps I took to activate it on my EVO in post 22 of this thread. Maybe that will help on the Razr Maxx?
Old 05-10-12, 05:35 PM
LexFather

I hope Herman Cain doesn't get a GS and it reads his emails back with his wife in the car
Old 05-10-12, 07:27 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

@Rexus300 - I believe that needs to be enabled on the phone too, but the way to enable it apparently varies by phone. You can see the steps I took to activate it on my EVO in post 22 of this thread. Maybe that will help on the Razr Maxx?
It does varies by phone. My Moto Droid Razr asked me to activate MAP when connected to the car and I said yes but It doesn't work. So not sure what is happening....
Old 05-10-12, 08:30 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Mine makes a very loud ding when a message is coming in. Then it reads the message.
Old 05-11-12, 05:25 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Rexus300
It does varies by phone. My Moto Droid Razr asked me to activate MAP when connected to the car and I said yes but It doesn't work. So not sure what is happening....
If you have a Verizon store nearby, ask them if they can figure it out. Hopefully somebody at that store would be able to figure it out.
Old 05-11-12, 09:55 AM
danjb
Rookie

Not sure I understood - are you saying that you don't get notified at all about an incoming message? (so how would you know that you received a message?)
Well, it looks like that's the issue causing my phone to have a "bluetooth abort" (actually a message about bluetooth object exchange having an error and needing to close). When a new message arrives is when this happens on my phone, and from that point on, all access to messages from the car stops.

So, I guess you could sum it up by saying it almost works. I find it encouraging, versus the stock phone not working at all. However, it'll be nice once it works 100%.

Last edited by danjb; 05-11-12 at 10:58 AM.

Quick Reply: Car reading back e-mails