GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Official 4GS Modification Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-15, 07:38 AM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Just added my VLEDS V3 triton amber turn signals. The turn signal red out vinyl was actually decreasing the output of the lights a little, and it was cheapening the over all look so I removed them. Wasted $13 on mod I didn't keep but I'm super happy with the way the V3's look now. I highly recommend them if your looking to switch over to LEDs for your turn signals. I also replace my reverse lights with 5K high powered LEDS from VLEDS. Pics below.

The following users liked this post:
Beatmd (05-27-23)
Old 09-22-15, 01:22 PM
Prinny
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sevn86
Just added my VLEDS V3 triton amber turn signals. The turn signal red out vinyl was actually decreasing the output of the lights a little, and it was cheapening the over all look so I removed them. Wasted $13 on mod I didn't keep but I'm super happy with the way the V3's look now. I highly recommend them if your looking to switch over to LEDs for your turn signals. I also replace my reverse lights with 5K high powered LEDS from VLEDS. Pics below.

Is it difficult at all the take out the tailights and replace the bulbs? I'd check myself, but my car is being delivered this weekend so I'm trying to plan things out beforehand.

Thanks!
Old 09-22-15, 10:20 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Prinny
Is it difficult at all the take out the tailights and replace the bulbs? I'd check myself, but my car is being delivered this weekend so I'm trying to plan things out beforehand.

Thanks!
Are you inquiring for the reverse lights or turn signals? If your asking about the reverse lights then you just remove the trunk lid liner. Once you take out those 10-15 pins, the felt liner will come off and there are two gray tabs/ sockets. You just twist them off and replace the bulbs. After swapping the oe bulbs for leds you just reverse everything you just did to put everything back together. Should take you no more then 15 mins to do it. Super easy.
Beatmd (05-27-23)
Old 09-23-15, 09:28 AM
Prinny
Pole Position

Are you inquiring for the reverse lights or turn signals? If your asking about the reverse lights then you just remove the trunk lid liner. Once you take out those 10-15 pins, the felt liner will come off and there are two gray tabs/ sockets. You just twist them off and replace the bulbs. After swapping the oe bulbs for leds you just reverse everything you just did to put everything back together. Should take you no more then 15 mins to do it. Super easy.

I guess I could do both of them if they're as easy as that lol, but thanks for the reply!

Did you install the bulbs after you took off the vinyl overlay or did you take them off afterwards? Curious because wondering how much of a difference it would make with the V3s in there.

Last edited by Prinny; 09-23-15 at 01:28 PM.
Old 09-23-15, 08:37 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Prinny
I guess I could do both of them if they're as easy as that lol, but thanks for the reply!

Did you install the bulbs after you took off the vinyl overlay or did you take them off afterwards? Curious because wondering how much of a difference it would make with the V3s in there.
I actually had the red vinyl on there and then I installed the V3's. I drove around with that combo for a day. It just didn't look right to me. Cheapened the look of the V3's IMO plus the light ouput coming through the vinyl seemed less dramatic and appeared cloudy. Maybe i used the wrong solution to install my vinyl overlay? Idk... I had used baby shampoo and water.The next morning I removed the vinyl by heating it for 45 seconds with a hair dryer. it came off super easy. I then turned on my turn signals and man did it make a difference. The lights now look like the LED turn signals on the LS460. I love it!
Old 09-23-15, 08:51 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Also don't be alarmed if the the V3's don't fit right away. They are exactly the same size of the bulb opening and you kinda have to push them in. They go in easy with slight force. Also only add two 3mm screws (supplied in kit) instead of three to the base of the bulb and you should be able to get the bulbs in pretty easy. Just turn and lock in place. Then adjust how deep you want the bulbs to go into the housing by twisting the stem inwards from the heat sink. I also bought the resistors but let me warn you, they get hot when the signals are activated for a long time. I would recommend you install (stick) them on metal in your engine bay with the front v3 turn signals. Btw It's harder to install the front ones due to limited space for your hands but they will fit.

Last edited by Sevn86; 09-23-15 at 08:56 PM.
Old 09-23-15, 08:59 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Also here are some pics from when I installed my reverse lights. Hope they help. Let me know if you have any other questions.

OUT FOX EM (12-23-19)
Old 09-23-15, 09:36 PM
Prinny
Pole Position

Also don't be alarmed if the the V3's don't fit right away. They are exactly the same size of the bulb opening and you kinda have to push them in. They go in easy with slight force. Also only add two 3mm screws (supplied in kit) instead of three to the base of the bulb and you should be able to get the bulbs in pretty easy. Just turn and lock in place. Then adjust how deep you want the bulbs to go into the housing by twisting the stem inwards from the heat sink. I also bought the resistors but let me warn you, they get hot when the signals are activated for a long time. I would recommend you install (stick) them on metal in your engine bay with the front v3 turn signals. Btw It's harder to install the front ones due to limited space for your hands but they will fit.
hmm thanks for the info and the pics Ordered a set of the V3s earlier today, plus resistors for good measure, along with the reverse light bulbs. You bought V3s for the front turn signals too? Are those as easy to install as the backs lol?
Old 09-27-15, 10:57 PM
Prinny
Pole Position

Okay, god.. that was such a big hassle. My hands aren't exactly small so I was having such a hard time moving crap around in the engine bay to try to get to the driver side signal light.. girlfriend ended up having to help me get the plug off, but then I looked around and realized that there is an opening in the wheel well that you can unscrew and it makes it a lot easier to reach the light -___-.. spent a good several hours today putting in those dumb lights. May end up getting another pair for the rear signals since those are much easier to replace. Those brittle one use clips are the worst though.. I need to buy a bunch of replacements now.

Curious about how people go about changing out the rest of the lights in the interior because I want to do that next if it's possible.

Sighhhhh.. never mind.. glad I didn't try to force the fixture out today (made a little mark on the plastic when I tried).. I guess we can't change out the other interior lights besides the vanity mirror ones?.. It's so dark and saw that they have a small LED light where your feet go too.. there would have been so many opportunities if they made replacing those possible...

Last edited by Prinny; 09-27-15 at 11:12 PM.
Old 09-28-15, 08:50 AM
lexus4jess
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

I did the same mod. but removed the red film. Make the light output very dimm. And added the spioler too.

I've done a few small mods here and there. Still have a long list of things id like to do. I installed my painted OEM Lexus non f sport spoiler. Picked it up online from House of Lexus for $241.xx shipped. Also bought the installation template for a local dealer here for $32. I wanted the dealer to do the install as it requires you to drill holes into the trunk, but they wanted $165. I said never mind and installed it myself. It wasn't hard drilling into the trunk at all. If there isn't a DIY I may post one as I took pics during my install. Here's a before and after.

I also did the red out tail light mod. I love how the tail lights are now a single color. Super easy to do and it's a cheap mod as well at just $13. Here's a before and after.

Old 09-28-15, 08:53 AM
lexus4jess
Racer

Old 09-28-15, 09:10 AM
lexus4jess
Racer

Like this

Old 09-28-15, 12:24 PM
lexus4jess
Racer

tinted headlights Din't Like the way they looked. Left the leds uncovered. Removed after not liking it.

Old 09-28-15, 03:53 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexus4jess
I did the same mod. but removed the red film. Make the light output very dimm. And added the spioler too.
Yeah it decreased the output and mine seemed fuzzy whenever I would see them light up. I don't know why. I'm actually glad they came off easy and I was able to reverse the mod. My V3 LEDs look awesome now.
Old 10-05-15, 04:40 PM
Lateralus7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Carbon Fiber Vinyl Wrapped front lip and bar.

Quick Reply: Official 4GS Modification Thread