GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2013 GS 350 or 2013 RX 350??

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-12, 12:35 PM
j1huynh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 GS 350 or 2013 RX 350??

Looking to buy a new lexus.. currently, I have 4month LO in rear facing seat. RX is nice and spacious for car seat/stroller/etc, but it seems GS will have better ride comfort.. what should I do?? Which one is better to get? Any opinion?

TIA
Old 05-15-12, 12:40 PM
NickL
Racer

Received 404 Likes on 262 Posts

Easy.
Buy your wife the RX350 and buy yourself a GS350. This is what we're currently doing.
Old 05-15-12, 12:54 PM
j1huynh
Driver School Candidate

We don't have that much money.
Old 05-15-12, 12:58 PM
jj14
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It really depends on your needs.
The RX, as you said, is spacious - trunk space for the stroller and other items. The GS may not necessarily have better ride comfort than the RX (the GS is a performance vehicle. The ES on the other hand will probably have better ride quality than the RX and the GS). Drive both of them to see what you prefer.

It really isn't an apples to apples comparison. Cost, features, space, drive quality, performance - everything is different.
Old 05-15-12, 01:00 PM
NickL
Racer

Seriously, I don't think anyone can offer you the right decision. The two cars are totally two different beasts for totally two different purposes.
All I can say is, if you love your family, get the RX350. It give you more room to grow into and more room for your kids when they get older. The ride comfort of the RX is actually very good. I suggest you go in the dealer and get a test drive. Plenty of room in the back for those long family trip.
The GS is more like a 4 passengers car especially with the big hump in the middle of the passenger seat. And I don't think it'll be big enough when the kid(s) grow up.
YMMV though...
Old 05-15-12, 01:01 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by j1huynh
Looking to buy a new lexus.. currently, I have 4month LO in rear facing seat. RX is nice and spacious for car seat/stroller/etc, but it seems GS will have better ride comfort.. what should I do?? Which one is better to get? Any opinion?

TIA
you want space? then the RX is your pic. the ride comfort isn't bad suspension is a little firmer than the GS. i've had 2012 RX loaners and they're not bad. want more comfort? then GS is your pic. think about the bambino in the back. space for the baby or smooth ride for you?
Old 05-15-12, 01:40 PM
djpeakSD
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Would you honestly make a decision like this based on what someone on a forum told you? Like others have said, they are totally different vehicles. Go down to you dealership drive both of them and then buy the one your prefer!!
Old 05-15-12, 02:57 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 114 Posts

With kid in carseat age the RX would be a better choice. The second row can slide back and forth and tilt as well. Much more room for passengers and cargo area. The RX runs on 60 series tires (18") or 55 series tires (19") so it observes bumps better versus the low profile GS tires.

Better yet to get a 450h and always have the AC on for comfort.
Old 05-15-12, 03:12 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
Better yet to get a 450h and always have the AC on for comfort.
And at 295 HP it's comparable to the GS
Old 05-15-12, 03:36 PM
tiger888
Driver School Candidate

TIA
I have just gone from an rx350 to gs350. i like both cars but they are different. With a smaller child I think the rx 350 will serve your purpose better. Its easier to get in and out of and the cargo space is better. The gs is a fun car to drive though.
Old 05-15-12, 05:21 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RX F Sport is an interesting version

Usually the debate would be performance sedan vs. lux utility but you were mentioning comfort first. I think the GS has a very smooth ride and a sensory immersion interior that is dominated by the 12 inch hi def screen. The trunk is adequate. It can fit two child seats in the back if needed.

The RX is formatted for your young family and has 40 cubic ft of space behind the rear seat for all of the child's accoutrements. If you wanted a sporty SUV the new F Sport has an eight speed gear box, VDIM stability system and nice wheels. Not a soccer mom car at all. It might be too firm for your tastes in fact. It will have fold in rear mirrors and a high def 8 inch nav display with the Lexus enform App suite like the GS has. It is a little less than the GS too. It has the LED running lights and horizontal slats on the grille that echoes the GS look.

As the others have said drive them both and take your normal stuff and see how it fits. They are both nice. The GS is the newest technology offerred by Lexus and buttery smooth. The RX is more family friendly in my opinion and can do it all. The blind spot monitor will not be in the first production but should show mid Summer.

Best of luck with your decision and new family...

Rock
Old 05-15-12, 06:32 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Both are great cars, but a couple quibbles I have with the RXs I've had as loaners in the past couple years:

- To me, they tend to pitch fore-aft when driving down the road in a somewhat nauseating manner at times.

- I feel that the overall feel of interior quality is higher in the 4GS than 3RX.

Having raised 6 kids, the RX is far more kid-friendly. Then again, a Sienna or Odyssey would be even better. Placing and securing / removing your child from a car seat while standing nearly upright in a crossover / minivan is much easier on your back than bent over in a sedan. Plus, the sliding doors of a minivan are very garage / parking lot friendly when the doors need to be open fully.
Old 05-15-12, 08:21 PM
j1huynh
Driver School Candidate

Hi All,
Thanks so much for many replies..
Yes I am planning to test drive both before purchasing. Currently we have a nissan rogue and while the space is adequate, the ride is horrible.. When I sit on the back with the baby, I feel like I am getting toss around like some salad bowl.. I have some people recommending the RX since it's still spacious and the ride is much better.
Regarding to the GS, we went to the reveal at pebble peach last august and we love the interior.
Thx caddyowner, you've brought up a good point that we didn't consider which is for sedan, we will have to bend our back to get the baby seat in / out.. (I know minivan is the best with the sliding door but I just hate minivan all together...)
We are actually considering the toyota venza also, but the interior is horrible.. Anyhow, we will go test drive both and see which is the best one..
One question about trade in. Is it possible for me to purchase the car but with the trade in of my wife's car (rogue)?
Old 05-16-12, 05:05 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

One question about trade in. Is it possible for me to purchase the car but with the trade in of my wife's car (rogue)?
Of course! But do shop around to make sure you are getting the best price for your trade-in (for example, check other Lexus dealerships in the area - and even check carmax to see what they will offer you for the rogue)

Since you are in CA, you will most probably have room to negotiate on the price (down to invoice)
Old 05-16-12, 05:56 AM
NickL
Racer

Almost all dealerships that sell new cars will have a used car lot. If your trade in is worthy, they'll clean it up and put it for sale. If not, they'll have someone to pick it up for auction. But regardless, they'll accept all trade in. Just don't expect what they'll give you for your trade is what you expected.

Quick Reply: 2013 GS 350 or 2013 RX 350??