GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

GS350 or GS350 F Sport?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-12 | 03:56 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by natnut
...I'm not sure why Lexus didn't include the bigger brakes,VGRS and DRS in the AWD F-Sport. That's a mystifying decision penalizing those who live in regions with snow.
I suspect it is mostly due to costs, especially the omission of the VGRS electronic true linear variable ratio steering, which uses a high and fast gear ratio for maneuvering at low speeds, and a lower and slower gear ratio at high speeds for safety; this system was first used in 2003 on the LX470 and Landcruiser, so there's little reason why it can't be used on the 4GS AWD.

Other reasons may include extra weight and space consumption, over the already heavy AWD system.

The bigger front brake rotors and the DRS Dynamic Rear Steer are somewhat already achieved by the AWD system.
The AWD system will give the front wheels some new found engine braking.
Meanwhile, the AWD will naturally impart some stability to the rear wheels under acceleration, thus Lexus omitting the active rear wheel parallel steering for high speed stability.

In truth, it would still be better if Lexus had the VGRS, DRS and bigger front brake rotors, just like the Nissan Godzilla etc.
Maybe they'll do that later when they come up with a GS-F...
Old 05-23-12 | 06:39 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mehran888
I got the F-Sport AWD over the Luxury AWD. I had originally wanted the Luxury AWD - mostly because of what Outrage stated above. The Luxury was only $1K more than the F-Sport and had many more "functional features". The rear side shades were the most important (one toddler in a car seat and hoping for another soon). The climate controls/heated seats in the back would have been nice, but with 1 (maybe 2) carseats - they would have gotten almost no use over the next 3-5 years.

So I didn't originally order an F-Sport because I felt silly paying a premium for purely cosmetic changes, even though I really like the F-Sport rims, the aluminum interior, and the grill. Anyways, on my original order my wife gave the ok and I ordered a white on black luxury.

Then my broker told me it'd be up to 3 months of a wait for my car. So a nice fellow on ClubLexus suggested a dealership that would match broker prices.

I walked in, and the first thing I saw was my red on cab F-Sport. I spoke to the salesperson, and 2 hours later we had a reasonable deal worked out. And I got delivery 2 days later.

Now I love all the F-Sport cosmetic changes, including the grill. I'm kind of glad I don't have foglights because they take away from the look of the car.

That's my story. And sorry if it makes no sense. Long day .

Regardless of what you choose, you won't be disappointed.
My story is exactly the opposite. I originally wanted to purchase an F Sport model but none were available with the blind spot monitor or in Cabernet or Flaxen colored interiors in my area. I was able to drive an AWD F Sport and felt it was fairly similar to the base model in overall feel with the exception of the Adaptive Variable Suspension. Since this feature was also found on the Luxury trim level I started researching that option.

The Luxury model seemed to come equipped with more rationally useful features such as the Adaptive Front Lighting System, higher quality leather, and more seat adjustments. I was surprised how little the price difference was between the two trim levels.

While comparing the exterior of the F Sport model to a base or Luxury model in person I realized there were few differences. The primary difference is the front bumper's design and the addition of a rear lip spoiler. The side skirts, rear bumper, and rear diffuser are identical.

Either way you go, I think the GS 350 is an inherently good platform without the need for a huge number of dynamic enhancements. The base and Luxury models don't handle like boats and the F Sport won't beat you to senseless over bumps. The differences are more subtle than you might expect.
Old 05-23-12 | 07:36 AM
prosgal73
Pit Crew

Thanks for all the great sight everyone. Appreciate it!
Old 05-23-12 | 12:22 PM
prosgal73
Pit Crew

I mean 'insight', thanks!
Old 05-23-12 | 12:28 PM
prosgal73
Pit Crew

Question about the leather differences?...I know the F sport has that perforated leather versus the smooth one on the Luxury. Wondering if the perforated leather is harder to maintain or keep clean?

Won't make my final decision until I see the new ES but I know the GS is in a different league. Sure do like the front grille design and rear lip spoiler on the F sport so it'll be hard to pick the ES after seeing the GS
Old 05-23-12 | 12:50 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

ES and GS are two totally different cars.
Old 05-23-12 | 07:15 PM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by prosgal73
Question about the leather differences?...I know the F sport has that perforated leather versus the smooth one on the Luxury. Wondering if the perforated leather is harder to maintain or keep clean?
The Luxury model also comes equipped with perforated leather seats. This is required as the seats are ventilated.
Old 05-23-12 | 08:14 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

My F Sport seats in Cabernet aren't hard to clean at all (and never really need cleaning). Flaxen may be a bit more difficult.
Old 05-23-12 | 10:20 PM
kdsr123
Pole Position

GS350 F all the way if you like the way it looks.