GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Help me Decide: 528i M Sport vs GS350 AWD Base

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-12, 06:32 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Lexus salesman I worked with told me that he placed a factory order of a for a RWD F Sport for another client. This may be the best way to go, rather than buying a car, sight unseen, located in another region.
Old 06-20-12, 08:38 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Outrage
The Lexus salesman I worked with told me that he placed a factory order of a for a RWD F Sport for another client. This may be the best way to go, rather than buying a car, sight unseen, located in another region.
You can place a factory order but it does 2 things. 1) Mandatory 3-4 month wait for the car. 2) The price becomes less negotiable. The easiest route is to find a RWD F Sport outside of the region if he/she wants it in a more reasonable amount of time.
Old 06-20-12, 11:53 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Tough choice, I just drove both cars back to back a couple weeks ago. The GS is one hell of a car, but the 5 is no slouch either. IMHO these were the positives/negatives:

Pros of the GS:
1. Better interior. The interior of the 5 is nice, but overall I think the GS has better materials, better features, and has more content at lower price points. The steering wheel on the base 5 is terrible I agree, the rim is thin and it feels so cheap in your hands. The Sport package adds a much better wheel. GS has a nice thick wheel.
2. Better ride/handling balance. I also thought the GS felt tauter than the 5.
3. Better lease programs (at least on the non-F Sport which is what I would get) Lexus is very aggressive here IMHO.
4. Better dealer service and better reliability overall.
5. Its a lot rarer, the 5 is everywhere.

Benefits of the 5 over the GS:

1. I think its better looking. The new GS is bold and attractive, but IMHO the current 5 is one of, if not the best looking sedan on the road right now.
2. Interior space is a little better, especially in the rear.
3. Free maintenance, very attractive to me in a lease.

I mean...thats really it IMHO...
Old 06-20-12, 12:15 PM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Here in VA, they give us AWD, north Carolina is where we get all of our RWDs, i can do a search for you and ship the car to you if you wouldn't want to drive to VA. Pm me
Old 06-21-12, 07:28 AM
jygesq
Driver School Candidate

new 5 series has way too many issues, cars pulling, hesitation on acceleration from a stop. It is no longer a ultimate driving machine. But neither is the new GS, but it is much closer than earlier GS have been. I'm still driving a 12 year old 528 MT . If I needed a car right away. it would be the gs AWD. I live in CT and in normal winters the AWD would be a great benefit, You would have to special order RWD gs.
Old 06-21-12, 07:57 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by jygesq
new 5 series has way too many issues, cars pulling, hesitation on acceleration from a stop. It is no longer a ultimate driving machine. But neither is the new GS, but it is much closer than earlier GS have been. I'm still driving a 12 year old 528 MT . If I needed a car right away. it would be the gs AWD. I live in CT and in normal winters the AWD would be a great benefit, You would have to special order RWD gs.
I think the RWD F-Sport is very very close to an ultimate driving machine. Motortrend seems to think so :

1ST PLACE: Lexus GS 350 F Sport
Maybe The Ultimate Driving Machine

Remember that E60 535i I mentioned, the one we adored and awarded first place in a February 2010 comparison test? Well, this new Lexus GS 350 F Sport reminds us of that car. A lot. Nimble, balanced, precise, and quick, the GS is a (retired) BMW cloaked in Lexus steel. At 3834 pounds, the GS is the lightest of the four and it feels it -- turn-in is sharp and accurate, and weight transfer, whether lateral or longitudinal, is neutral and composed. The Lexus proved the most entertaining, rewarding, and confidence-inspiring up, down, and along our demanding Malibu road loop. Ultimate driving machine? Oh, yeah.

Lieberman: "Great steering. Balanced, communicative, properly weighted. Just a joy to drive. Neutral without being leaden. Very Mazda-like, in fact. And I say all this having driven the car in Sport instead of Sport Plus." Evans: "This is a Lexus? Really impressed with the handling and confidence in the car. Holds the road much better than expected. Can really fling it at the corners." Martinez: "The Sport Plus algorithm allows for a proper testing of its grip thresholds, and on the loop's tight technical zigzags, it was just right. Only once did any traction control light flash, and, unlike the Infiniti, shifts were clean, fast, and when you wanted them. Also unlike the Infiniti: The Lexus felt way smaller than it was. Like, really smaller."

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz1yUGPUH1H
Old 06-21-12, 10:53 PM
zoombie99
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
You won't find the RWD anywhere near NYC / NJ / PA. Believe or not, I had to travel all the way to Atlanta, GA from NY to get my RWD GS 4 years ago. Not a single dealer in our area wanted to get me the RWD model, they did not want to order one and they refused to do an exchange with other dealerships. The only option was to travel.

It was worth it though. Driving 10 hours back in a brand new car was a pretty cool experience, you really get to know the car.
Prestige Lexus in Ramsey NJ had a black RWD F Sport a few weeks ago. Call Jane Toledano at Prestige and see if it is still there.
Old 06-22-12, 01:17 AM
sjr200
Driver School Candidate

Honestly if you can hold out and get your hands on a RWD F-Sport you won't be sorry. I've had mine a little less than 2 months and already have 3200k miles on it! I actually enjoy the work commute these days because it means I get to drive it even more! It's fast becoming one of the best purchases I'v ever made.
Old 06-22-12, 10:17 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by lexesty72
He is refering to the 528I which has a 2.0-Liter TwinPower Turbo 4-cylinder engine...
4 cylinder in a luxury car............a 5 series??? I never knew that

sorry about the emotional outburst

I definitely hold out for the AWD even if I have to rent a car in the meanwhile.
Old 11-04-12, 09:29 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Update!

Got the car about 4 months ago as my 2009 e92 335i M Sport lease ended.

Its Black on Black with M Sport, Tech Pack, Premium Pack, Heated Seats etc.

I have about 4500 miles now.

The Good
1. Love the Design Inside/Out
2. Build Quality
3. Interior Comfort
4. Very Quiet (I dont hear the engine noise at all)
5. Smooth Ride
6. Engine HP - I drive mostly in NYC but even on a trip to DC, the engine has been a pleasant surprise.

The Bad
1. Steering Feel - Horrible!!!!!!! (especially compared to my E92)
2. Seats - No adjustment to side bolsters (miss this so much from my coupe) FSport has it!
3. MPG - Im at about 19.5mpg, my coupe was around 15mpg but it was a 335i. Not enough of a savings IMO to give up the sweet sound and HP.
4. Transmission - I have gotten a transmission malfunction alert!!!!
5. Wheels - These 18s are FUGLY imo. (looking to upgrade)
6. Stock ride height - BMW is taking lessons from Lexus

Old 11-04-12, 09:50 PM
tsmith167
Rookie

That car is beautiful!
Old 11-05-12, 07:38 AM
jygesq
Driver School Candidate

BMW f10, new five is on of the prettiest cars on the exterior.
Old 11-05-12, 07:43 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The BMW F10 I had was by far the worst BMW I have ever owned. It gave me a bit of problems and the ride and handling were subpar compared to the Lexus GS F-sport. The steering was numb, transmission lag, vibration from rear suspension, wallowy handling with terrible bounciness on turns was the reason why I sold off my 2011 BMW 535i xdrive after 1 year from Jan 2011- Jan 2012 and went for the my 2013 Lexus GS350. BMW missed the mark here alot.
Old 11-05-12, 08:31 AM
omaralt
Rookie

congrats on the beautiful car; i recently made the comparison and decided to go with a 2012 535i Msport Imperial blue on oyster. few points:

1- Rexus300 has said the same thing over and over and over and over again. we get it dude; you've actually said the same thing twice in this thread! realize that you got an early production build that was plagued with issues. the vast majority of the 12's and on are fine. mine has no problems with transmission lag, vibration, etc.

2- the engine in the 535i is better than the GS IMO. with 300 lb torque it really pulls off the line. the GS doesnt really feel alive until you get above 3K RPM

3- steering; slight edge to the GS IMO. even with the car in sport + (yes i have the adjustable suspension) I thought that the GS felt a little tighter and more connected. but with the BMW you can really pull out of those corners

4- interior: i give the edge to BMW. i absolutely hated the mouse thing (maybe i would get used to it?). hated that you cant program the nav while driving. and the bmw color combo of imperial blue on oyster is amazing. the comfort seats are the best i've ever sat in.

5-pricing: i thought going in that the GS would have a leg up here, i was wrong. with the BMW they were really willing to negotiate. my car had an MSRP of $65K and i got it for $57K (~$2K below invoice). the lexus people were not really willing to deal much.

6- exterior: huge edge to the BMW. the lexus is bland in the back and crazy in the front, like a mullet .

again, these are my opinions. both are great cars and you really cant go wrong with either one. congrats
Old 11-05-12, 08:34 AM
omaralt
Rookie

and here are two pics to show you the color. and yes, the regular non-sport steering wheel is horrible; M sport is a must in this car

Quick Reply: Help me Decide: 528i M Sport vs GS350 AWD Base