GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Help me Decide: 528i M Sport vs GS350 AWD Base

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-12, 05:35 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
Question Help me Decide: 528i M Sport vs GS350 AWD Base

My lease is done on my 335i and I need a new car by end of month.

I have had a 2013 335i M Sport sedan on order but my dealer has yet to secure a production # so I decided to just get something else.

Other cars considered:

1) 535i is my top choice but with the options I want, it is out of my price range.

2) MB E350 Sport - I considered it, but def not very sporty and weak on technology. Leases very cheap.

3) GS350 FSport - Lexus is SO BAD with these cars. All the marketing is BS because all dealers have only 1 or 2 cars in AWD trim and they talk about them like they are a piece of gold. There are ZERO RWD GS350 F Sport cars in Northeast. I WANT the RWD with staggered wheels, bigger brakes etc. The lease program is HORRIBLE on the FSport compared to base model.

So I am down to 2 options 528i RWD with M Sport Package and AWD GS350.

1) Exterior - Prefer BMW
2) Handling - Prefer BMW (M sport provides staggered rims and way more susp/steering settings)
3) Engine - Prefer Lexus (The thought of 4 cylinder scares me, but it drove well and was very quiet)
4) Interior - Tie (Both are superb! but MSport has much better seats)
5) Price - Prefer Lexus (The GS leases about $80 cheaper per month.)

Last edited by RNM GS3; 06-19-12 at 06:34 PM.
Old 06-19-12, 06:17 PM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

The GS isn't 4 cylinders, it's a V6, and the Lexus has been killing the competition in all of the comparison tests. They are both very nice cars but we have been getting a lot of BMW owners switching over for a reason. I just love the feel of the GS. It is a big car but it feels small when you are driving. The steering wheel is so comfortable compared to the Beamer. It sounds like you are a BMW person so it will be hard to go against that loyalty. If you do, you wont regret it. I see that you had a GS3 and to me, this new one is so much better. It just makes you smile when you drive it
Old 06-19-12, 06:24 PM
lexesty72
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He is refering to the 528I which has a 2.0-Liter TwinPower Turbo 4-cylinder engine...
Old 06-19-12, 06:43 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexusNN
The GS isn't 4 cylinders, it's a V6, and the Lexus has been killing the competition in all of the comparison tests. They are both very nice cars but we have been getting a lot of BMW owners switching over for a reason. I just love the feel of the GS. It is a big car but it feels small when you are driving. The steering wheel is so comfortable compared to the Beamer. It sounds like you are a BMW person so it will be hard to go against that loyalty. If you do, you wont regret it. I see that you had a GS3 and to me, this new one is so much better. It just makes you smile when you drive it
Yes GS has a powerful V6 > BMW turbo 4

I'm not a BMW person lol.........but i do value that they allow you to custom built a car unlike Lexus which assigns cars' trims/options based on geographic location. BTW no Dark Blue GS currently available in NY. (confirmed by 5 dealers)

I LOVE the GS steering wheel and the standard BMW wheel is horrendous and cheap IMO, the M Sport provides a much thicker and sportier steering wheel - thank God, this is one of the main reasons the M Sport package is a must.
Old 06-19-12, 06:56 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 532 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
My lease is done on my 335i and I need a new car by end of month.

I have had a 2013 335i M Sport sedan on order but my dealer has yet to secure a production # so I decided to just get something else.

Other cars considered:

1) 535i is my top choice but with the options I want, it is out of my price range.

2) MB E350 Sport - I considered it, but def not very sporty and weak on technology. Leases very cheap.

3) GS350 FSport - Lexus is SO BAD with these cars. All the marketing is BS because all dealers have only 1 or 2 cars in AWD trim and they talk about them like they are a piece of gold. There are ZERO RWD GS350 F Sport cars in Northeast. I WANT the RWD with staggered wheels, bigger brakes etc. The lease program is HORRIBLE

1) Exterior - Prefer BMW
2) Handling - Prefer BMW (M sport provides staggered rims and way more susp/steering settings)
3) Engine - Prefer Lexus (The thought of 4 cylinder scares me, but it drove well and was very quiet)
Have you considered going outside of the Eastern Area for a car? This way you can jump on a regular GS F Sport RWD and still work with a Lexus dealer on the lease deals.
Old 06-19-12, 07:28 PM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Based on your assessment - I think you should buy the 5-series. I know I would if I felt the way you did. However, I actually like the GS interior more, the exterior styling more, and from my limited experience I feel the GS handles better (I haven't driven the M sport though).
Old 06-19-12, 07:32 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes GS has a powerful V6 > BMW turbo 4

I'm not a BMW person lol.........but i do value that they allow you to custom built a car unlike Lexus which assigns cars' trims/options based on geographic location. BTW no Dark Blue GS currently available in NY. (confirmed by 5 dealers)

I LOVE the GS steering wheel and the standard BMW wheel is horrendous and cheap IMO, the M Sport provides a much thicker and sportier steering wheel - thank God, this is one of the main reasons the M Sport package is a must.
If you do a search on my username you will see that i had a 2011 BMW 535i xdrive loaded for 1 year and put 15,000 miles on it. I was disappointed in the BMW 5 handling and ride balance that I traded it off for a nice and amazing 2013 Lexus GS F-Sport and I am very happy. I am a BMW person and also a Lexus loyal. The BMW's steering is so numb and devoid of any sharpness and the car will plow into the turns without any good body composure like my BMW 335i coupe. The runflats were terrible and I switch them out due to vibration, choppy ride, and lousy traction. However with the regular tires the new BMW felt sloppy, wallowy at times and overweighted. The turbo lag was horrendous and the transmission had to be reprogrammed to get it right. The rims were bent due to defective production at factory and the overall car was boring and didn't feel anywhere close to the older BMW 5 nor the newer Lexus GS 350 F-Sport which blows it away in handling and ride feel without sacrificing the true road feedback. The exterior is a hell alot more exciting and engaging then the BMW 5. Alot of people commented on how amazing the new GS looks and drives after I switched cars. You will be alot more happier with the Lexus so try to find one with a RWD. I wouldn't touch the new BMW 5 for this generation and motortrend agreed that the new Lexus GS is the ultimate driving machine in this category. The BMW 528 is not worth the money and boy the standard base looks horrendous. The Msport is a waste as it really did not improve the handling and the ride suffered a bit.
Old 06-19-12, 07:48 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by flipside909
Have you considered going outside of the Eastern Area for a car? This way you can jump on a regular GS F Sport RWD and still work with a Lexus dealer on the lease deals.
Yeah I don't see why allocation is an issue unless someone wants to see the car. Just tell the dealer find the car you want and they can look in the regional inventory or even nationwide and make a swap with another dealer. I've seen the system personally trillions of times, they put in the codes and the cars come up. If its not in their region they'll tell you where it is and they have to swap it to get it. They do it all the time.

I agree F-sport lease pricing isn't as great as the base model which has aggressive rates.

While its a turbo I just find it hard to support a 4 cylinder in a vehicle so big and so heavy. To me the GS drives smaller than it is and the 5 larger than it is.

Both cars are fantastic, good luck!
Old 06-19-12, 08:02 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

You won't find the RWD anywhere near NYC / NJ / PA. Believe or not, I had to travel all the way to Atlanta, GA from NY to get my RWD GS 4 years ago. Not a single dealer in our area wanted to get me the RWD model, they did not want to order one and they refused to do an exchange with other dealerships. The only option was to travel.

It was worth it though. Driving 10 hours back in a brand new car was a pretty cool experience, you really get to know the car.
Old 06-19-12, 08:06 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Not a fan of the matte walnut trim in the base GS.
Old 06-19-12, 08:15 PM
Chrisr61
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I came extremely close to puling the trigger on a 528 XDrive. That is until I drove the GS350 at the Lexus dealer next door. With what you get for the money, you can't beat it. Besides, the sales force at the Lexus dealership treated me like a human being, the BMW dealer, not so much, until they realized I had a checkbook in my back pocket. Then they couldn't do enough for me when they found out it was a cash deal. Absolulety no regrets purchasing my AWD GS350.
Old 06-19-12, 09:41 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Yeah I don't see why allocation is an issue unless someone wants to see the car. Just tell the dealer find the car you want and they can look in the regional inventory or even nationwide and make a swap with another dealer. I've seen the system personally trillions of times, they put in the codes and the cars come up. If its not in their region they'll tell you where it is and they have to swap it to get it. They do it all the time.

I agree F-sport lease pricing isn't as great as the base model which has aggressive rates.

While its a turbo I just find it hard to support a 4 cylinder in a vehicle so big and so heavy. To me the GS drives smaller than it is and the 5 larger than it is.

Both cars are fantastic, good luck!

UMMM.....I can tell you are not from NY. I have called and emailed dealers in NY NJ DE and CT, none of them want to do any trades. They acknowledge themselves the FSport RWD is non existent and the AWD is pretty much is as well. Each dealer has maybe 1 or 2 if that.

What is the closest state to NY that gets RWD allocations - North Carolina?
Old 06-19-12, 09:47 PM
LexFather

UMMM.....I can tell you are not from NY. I have called and emailed dealers in NY NJ DE and CT, none of them want to do any trades. They acknowledge themselves the FSport RWD is non existent and the AWD is pretty much is as well. Each dealer has maybe 1 or 2 if that.

What is the closest state to NY that gets RWD allocations - North Carolina?

Don't get upset at me lol.. I'm from NY.. I go to NY... Would u like help? SE has F
Sports.. Also understand Lexus underestimated F-sport demand so that model is harder to find compared to a base model. It's Lexus first F sport GS so they are learning allocation.

I think that's terrible the dealers won't do a trade in the entire NE if that is the case.

I'm sure someone here can help. If not my dealer can surely find you a car if you want help.
Old 06-19-12, 10:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

can't you say buy a car from here in the west and ship it over? i mean shipping maybe say another grand, but pricing here probably would be more competitive, plus you can get rwd

and between the 2 cars you mentioned? i think the gs is a better car / value
Old 06-20-12, 06:08 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

1) Exterior - Prefer BMW
Coming from 12 years of driving 4 different models of BMW, I was facing the same decision. I wanted to like the new BMW's so much but was very disappointed in them after driving all of the 2012 models over a period of several months. The 528i was the biggest disappointment. The 4-cylinder engine sounded like a lawn-mower engine when driving with the window down.. The Start/Stop feature on the new BMW's was a major annoyance, requiring you disable it after starting the engine every time. The car shuttered every time the engine turned off and shuttered again when it restarted at a stoplight. The runflats ruined the ride for me and the steering in the new models was mostly devoid of any road feel. After extensively driving 2 different 4GS's I knew it would be my next car and I haven't been disappointed. The interior of the 4GS is so much nicer and comfortable than the BMW and the Nav and Audio systems in the the 4GS blows the BMWs away. If I couldn't find one locally, as in your situation, I would drive to another area in the country to get one. Why deprive yourself of getting a great car if your local dealers won't work with you? Best of luck with your choice.

Last edited by rjm; 06-20-12 at 06:11 AM.

Quick Reply: Help me Decide: 528i M Sport vs GS350 AWD Base