GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

F-Sport Side View Mirror Reflection(s) - Aluminum Trim Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-12, 08:18 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
what does driving in the left lane have anything to do with this? as i mentioned, i see this on both driver and passenger side mirrors

plus i hope you actually use your driver side mirror when you go from slow lane to fast lane (i know, this is just a joke )
If I'm in the left lane I don't have to worry about a vehicle coming up on my left side so I don't need the mirror. I haven't noticed the glare on the right side. I also have blind spot assist for that. And yes, I use my mirrors for going from the slow to the fast lane. It also doesn't hurt to look over your shoulder occasionally.
Old 07-06-12, 08:20 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NickL
So how long did they claim they road tested the 4GS before releasing it to the public? Apparently they didn't road test an F-Sport with aluminum trim...
This is a major concern and a road hazard. For those with brand loyalty and making up unrealistic excuses such as rolling down windows and driving on the left lane, etc. need to get their head out of their a$$. This is a major design flaw by Lexus. Hope they fix it in the next year model.
We love you too.

Seriously, I don't find it an issue, but there seems to be one on every forum who is incensed by what is perceived as a safety defect and wants everyone to rally around a class-action lawsuit. Nice to meet you!

Last edited by dseag2; 07-06-12 at 08:26 PM.
Old 07-06-12, 08:39 PM
Vasili
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doesn't bother me at all. I don't have an F Sport, so maybe that is why it doesn't bother me. [I] see a slight reflection in the Luxury model I have, but nothing that causes any unsafe driving condition.

I don't see any major design flaw. Maybe people that find it unsafe should change to a different Lexus.
Old 07-06-12, 08:41 PM
Vasili
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the aluminum trim is the problem, then the fix might be to change aluminum to wood.
Old 07-06-12, 09:17 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
If I'm in the left lane I don't have to worry about a vehicle coming up on my left side so I don't need the mirror. I haven't noticed the glare on the right side. I also have blind spot assist for that. And yes, I use my mirrors for going from the slow to the fast lane. It also doesn't hurt to look over your shoulder occasionally.
i don't know where you live, but the times i have driven the gs, even when i am looking straight, the glare is "there" to annoy me
Old 07-07-12, 10:33 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

i don't know where you live, but the times i have driven the gs, even when i am looking straight, the glare is "there" to annoy me
that's interesting i never noticed the glare while looking straight,,, i'll have to pay more attention. but the reflection in the mirror is a PITA, both mirrors. didn't really notice the passenger side reflection until today. it's funny because when you're driving and notice it i find myself looking towards the mirror again, i guess maybe hoping it would go away. i focus more on the BSM now,, the BSM does help some. lexus definitely has to do something about that. i've already spoken to the GM at my dealer,,, so it's noted.
Old 07-07-12, 11:07 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
that's interesting i never noticed the glare while looking straight,,, i'll have to pay more attention. but the reflection in the mirror is a PITA, both mirrors. didn't really notice the passenger side reflection until today. it's funny because when you're driving and notice it i find myself looking towards the mirror again, i guess maybe hoping it would go away. i focus more on the BSM now,, the BSM does help some. lexus definitely has to do something about that. i've already spoken to the GM at my dealer,,, so it's noted.
yeah it could be that i noticed it before so when i drove that part started to bother me "more". but i sort of felt myself "dodging" left and right
Old 07-07-12, 11:27 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

yeah it could be that i noticed it before so when i drove that part started to bother me "more". but i sort of felt myself "dodging" left and right
wow, that's not safe at all. sometimes i find myself looking at the reflection first and then at the BSM, i guess because it's huge compared to the little BSM indicator. has anyone contacted lexus corporate. i believe that everyone with this problem call LC and complain/demand a fix for this design flaw that eventually will cause an accident. that's why i always wondered why BSM is not standard,,, anything safety related should be standard. let's be real **** crashing a car we are and they should be concerned about a persons safety, a car can be replaced.
Old 07-07-12, 02:18 PM
nantang
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The matte bamboo wood of the GS450h does not reflect. From what I've read, the problem seems to be minimal with GS350 polished wood trim, but major with the F-Sport metal trim. It sounds like a matte finish will have to be used in the future, and perhaps a recall can be issued to replace the ones already in the wild.
Old 07-07-12, 08:03 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

I live in TX, and it is sunny. I drove the car all day today from 10am to 4pm. I paid special attention to any glare that might appear in the passenger side mirror or window. It was minimal, and I didn't see it if I wasn't looking for it. I will admit the glare on the driver side mirror is bad, and I was one of the first who posted this as a "design defect", but it is not a deal breaker for me.
Old 07-08-12, 12:31 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
wow, that's not safe at all. sometimes i find myself looking at the reflection first and then at the BSM, i guess because it's huge compared to the little BSM indicator. has anyone contacted lexus corporate. i believe that everyone with this problem call LC and complain/demand a fix for this design flaw that eventually will cause an accident. that's why i always wondered why BSM is not standard,,, anything safety related should be standard. let's be real **** crashing a car we are and they should be concerned about a persons safety, a car can be replaced.
Originally Posted by dseag2
I live in TX, and it is sunny. I drove the car all day today from 10am to 4pm. I paid special attention to any glare that might appear in the passenger side mirror or window. It was minimal, and I didn't see it if I wasn't looking for it. I will admit the glare on the driver side mirror is bad, and I was one of the first who posted this as a "design defect", but it is not a deal breaker for me.
well i never said this is deal breaker, but i do honestly think this can be a safety issue. i personally don't worry as much on the glare, as long as it's in the peripheral vision it shouldn't be big deal. but when i want to look at the mirror and find out i can't see what's behind me on the right and left, that can be dangerous
Old 07-09-12, 07:32 AM
LexusGSFGO
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To me, the biggest problem with the reflection in the F Sport, is the blind spot indicator is very difficult to see at times. This is clearly a safety issue IMHO.
Old 07-09-12, 09:03 PM
wlmngtn310
Driver

Here's my stupid reflection even after adding 3M tint all around. It's the darkest shade 3M offers for automotive use (limo tint). The reflection pictured is persistent. And it's on BOTH sides, not just the drivers.
http://instagr.am/p/M4td_fJV4C/
Old 07-09-12, 09:38 PM
LexusGSFGO
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wlmngtn310
Here's my stupid reflection even after adding 3M tint all around. It's the darkest shade 3M offers for automotive use (limo tint). The reflection pictured is persistent. And it's on BOTH sides, not just the drivers.
http://instagr.am/p/M4td_fJV4C/
Wow, I think the darker tint actually makes it worse. I wonder if a potential fix would be to use some sort of non-glare screen protector like they use for iPhones and iPads, placed strategicly on the inside of the side window.
Old 07-09-12, 10:22 PM
wlmngtn310
Driver

Originally Posted by LexusGSFGO
Wow, I think the darker tint actually makes it worse. I wonder if a potential fix would be to use some sort of non-glare screen protector like they use for iPhones and iPads, placed strategicly on the inside of the side window.
Yeah, I honestly thought that after the tint the glare would be gone, but NO; stupid thing was reflecting even more :*(

Help?

lol

Quick Reply: F-Sport Side View Mirror Reflection(s) - Aluminum Trim Discussion