GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Finally a 4th gen test-drive

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-12 | 01:53 PM
Arcadian
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Finally a 4th gen test-drive

After waiting months and canceling test drives due to spring snow storms, I got a test drive in a GS350 AWD. I am currently driving a 2000 GS400 that I absolutely love, but do recognize it's bad points.
First impressions are the 4-gen is more like the 2-gen than the 3-gen. So, in some ways it's a bit retro. The interior is amazing, love the dash, the seats, the giant screen.

Driving - Wow they really improved the chassis, it's quite brilliant. I took a curving freeway on-ramp and noticed much better roll-stiffness and far superior steering feel to my GS. The car feels like it weighs at least 500lb less, although it's probably the same or more than my 2000.

For me though, the deal-breaker is no V8. I know it's at least as quick as my GS400, but it doesn't feel like it, and it sure doesn't sound like it. There's is just nothing like the growl of a V8. At highway speeds my GS400 feels quicker and accelerates with ease, whereas the GS350 would downshift 1 or 2 gears.

Overall, between the V6 and 6-speed, the car just feels too busy and a bit overextended. Which, is too bad, because I love everything else about it.

With this car I think Lexus is showing it cares about building a driver's car and the GS is exactly the car to fill this role for Lexus.

I took the GS350 back to Lexus Edmonton and told Theresa how it's a brilliant car in search of a V8. She said as how I wasn't the only person to have told her that.

BTW, if you are in Edmonton and considering a Lexus, contact Theresa she is super helpful.
Old 07-07-12 | 02:23 PM
nantang
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try the GS450h. It might give you that power edge you feel was missing. Keep it in Sport Plus, and you won't have to notice the incredible gas mileage. Just be ready to do a lot more waiting before you can try one.
Old 07-07-12 | 03:59 PM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The V6 in the 4G disappoints me a bit as well. But I guess it depends on what you're looking for.
Old 07-07-12 | 04:40 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Arcadian
After waiting months and canceling test drives due to spring snow storms, I got a test drive in a GS350 AWD. I am currently driving a 2000 GS400 that I absolutely love, but do recognize it's bad points.
First impressions are the 4-gen is more like the 2-gen than the 3-gen. So, in some ways it's a bit retro. The interior is amazing, love the dash, the seats, the giant screen.

Driving - Wow they really improved the chassis, it's quite brilliant. I took a curving freeway on-ramp and noticed much better roll-stiffness and far superior steering feel to my GS. The car feels like it weighs at least 500lb less, although it's probably the same or more than my 2000.

For me though, the deal-breaker is no V8. I know it's at least as quick as my GS400, but it doesn't feel like it, and it sure doesn't sound like it. There's is just nothing like the growl of a V8. At highway speeds my GS400 feels quicker and accelerates with ease, whereas the GS350 would downshift 1 or 2 gears.

Overall, between the V6 and 6-speed, the car just feels too busy and a bit overextended. Which, is too bad, because I love everything else about it.

With this car I think Lexus is showing it cares about building a driver's car and the GS is exactly the car to fill this role for Lexus.

I took the GS350 back to Lexus Edmonton and told Theresa how it's a brilliant car in search of a V8. She said as how I wasn't the only person to have told her that.

BTW, if you are in Edmonton and considering a Lexus, contact Theresa she is super helpful.
you're saying that the 2000 GS400 has it's bad points. every car has it's bad points, including the 2013 GS350. i own a GS-F SPORT and I've found a few bad points, accelerating with ease is not one of them. the car feels lighter and doesn't seem as big as it actually is while driving. i wish they would have added a V8 in my car also. overall i'm happy with my car with no buyers remorse. it does everything i want it to do, and i consider myself a driver, an aggressive driver and this car hasn't let me down yet.
Old 07-07-12 | 05:40 PM
Arcadian
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for the comments. I'll look to drive a GS450h next time. Also, the car I tried was AWD, that might have taken the edge off the power too. But don't get me wrong. I do like it, especially how it feels lighter and smaller than it is and the interior is great. I just expected the V6 to feel a bit more punchy.
Old 07-07-12 | 06:06 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Arcadian
Thanks for the comments. I'll look to drive a GS450h next time. Also, the car I tried was AWD, that might have taken the edge off the power too. But don't get me wrong. I do like it, especially how it feels lighter and smaller than it is and the interior is great. I just expected the V6 to feel a bit more punchy.
ditto,,, i expected extra punch also. i can't complain about its performance. the 450H might be more to your liking,,, hope you have lots of patience. unless you get lucky and find one at the dealership.
Old 07-07-12 | 07:51 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
you're saying that the 2000 GS400 has it's bad points. every car has it's bad points, including the 2013 GS350. i own a GS-F SPORT and I've found a few bad points, accelerating with ease is not one of them. the car feels lighter and doesn't seem as big as it actually is while driving. i wish they would have added a V8 in my car also. overall i'm happy with my car with no buyers remorse. it does everything i want it to do, and i consider myself a driver, an aggressive driver and this car hasn't let me down yet.
Well said and totally agree.