GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Rock chip

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-12 | 08:20 AM
Genicolor
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by steilkurve
Ok. Got the pen and fixed the two chips. Was careful to not put too much paint or clear coat. Done that before and resulted in a nasty mole on a previous car and showed. Really pleased with how these turned out. Barely noticeable. I might even rub it with some Mother's Scratch Remover when it's really dry to make it disappear some more. Take a look at the pics. Tough to photograph a shiny car at night in a garage. So my reco to all, get the pen but practice on a piece of cardboard before and go easy on the quantity.
You did a great job !
Old 07-10-12 | 08:25 AM
PLAYTYM
Lead Lap

Two weeks in...I got a "HUGE" stone chip and what really pisses me off about it, is that I never tailgate and do very little interstate travel. Have no clue how I even got it. I got the paint mixed with clear coat from the dealer and used a toothpick to fix mine. It's pretty deep, so I will need to add a few more layers to hopefully bring it up to match the level of the paint on the rest of the hood. I will post pictures once I'm all done. i do feel that the Nebula gray is probably the most forgiving color for this type of paint correction.

As far as bras go...well...I have mixed feelings. I had one on my Volvo C30 and it was wonderful as long as there was "ZERO" dust on the car. Once there's dust you can see the entire line from hood to fenders where the clear bra ends. Kind of makes it look like someone with a doctor's skilled surgical hand keyed your vehicle. The cost can be pretty expensive as well. My thought is I like the front way to much to have it look "keyed" when it's a bit dusty and the cost to do a complete painting of the hood and front bumper after a couple years of use will be about the same, so I just let it go.
Old 07-16-12 | 04:03 AM
steilkurve
Rookie

Originally Posted by jj14
I can barely see it even now! lol!
Was this done using the touch up that Lexus dealers sell? (like the one that LexusGSFGO posted the link to - http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2013/5219.html ?)
It was done with the pen I purchased directly from my Lexus dealer, which is different than the one from your link.
Old 07-16-12 | 05:51 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

Thanks steilkurve. The one from sewellparts doesn't seem to have a clearcoat applicator - hence the question
The one you purchased seems to have the clearcoat applicator as well. When the times comes, I'll look for the correct 'pen'

Thanks
Old 07-16-12 | 10:52 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

where were the chips??? i thought i saw something,,, you did a good job because i don't see a damn thing.