GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Throttle response

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-12 | 02:58 PM
95bat
Racer

Originally Posted by jtrue28

Sport S mode changes the gauge cluster lighting to a fiery red and alters the powertrain for faster gear changes and more dynamic throttle mapping. Sport S+ mode goes a step further by also tightening the F SPORT-tuned suspension and increasing steering response. In both modes, the transmission�s shift points are automatically altered coming into and out of corners for sharper acceleration." Gonna have to say FALSE, there. Acceleration out of corners is flat out awful as well.
I think that is just from the lack of torque. The car pulls strong in the higher RPMs, but coming out of a turn lower in the RPM range will feel slow. This has been a big adjustment for me, my previous car had 400 lb. ft. of torque.
Old 07-20-12 | 04:38 PM
noncom23
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 95bat
I think that is just from the lack of torque. The car pulls strong in the higher RPMs, but coming out of a turn lower in the RPM range will feel slow. This has been a big adjustment for me, my previous car had 400 lb. ft. of torque.
Yeah, I am sitting at about 300ft/lb torque right now.
As long as there is no hesitation, I am ok.
Old 07-20-12 | 06:48 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

From Lexus' website

"DRIVE MODE SELECTWhether you're looking for added exhilaration or taking a relaxing drive through the neighborhood, Drive Mode Select enables you to make your GS F SPORT more responsive or efficient with the simple turn of the switch.

Sport S mode changes the gauge cluster lighting to a fiery red and alters the powertrain for faster gear changes and more dynamic throttle mapping. Sport S+ mode goes a step further by also tightening the F SPORT-tuned suspension and increasing steering response. In both modes, the transmission�s shift points are automatically altered coming into and out of corners for sharper acceleration." Gonna have to say FALSE, there. Acceleration out of corners is flat out awful as well.
heavier AWD version being slower? Although my 3GS AWD was very fast, i never used sport button because it was too responsive, ie not needed for daily drive. But the car was fast... yes, you shouldnt run 2000rpm if you want it to be fast, but it revved really well and it was quite rewarding.

with 4gs, it is a lot easier to drive it fast, not just because it handles better, but because you can hold the gears properly for cornering. trying to drive fast in Auto mode is just not a good idea regardless of what car it is.
Old 07-20-12 | 08:02 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

From Lexus' website

"DRIVE MODE SELECTWhether you're looking for added exhilaration or taking a relaxing drive through the neighborhood, Drive Mode Select enables you to make your GS F SPORT more responsive or efficient with the simple turn of the switch.

I find the opposite. Sport + holds the gear really long and keeps the RPMs up (longer than I prefer), which makes it very easy to plow through corners.
Old 07-21-12 | 02:04 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

p.s. when it comes to throttle response, even GS250 i had yesterday, in Sport mode, had pretty good throttle response... it was instant.... it just didnt have any power associated with it :-).

GS350 is another beast.