GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Throttle response

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-12, 06:28 PM
noncom23
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Throttle response

Considering the GS 350 RWD for my next purchase.
Any comments here on acceleration, any hesitation?
Thx ahead.
Old 07-17-12, 06:33 PM
VIP Auto Salon
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am currently driving around the 2013 GS F-Sport. Its a fantastic car, pretty good acceleration with really fair fuel economy.

After putting it on a dyno as well, it is rated at about 250WHP. It would be a great choice for you. Now if you want better throttle response you can always install an Apexi Throttle Controller and now there is no hesitation with instant throttle response.
Old 07-17-12, 07:13 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Absolutely no complaints with throttle response, especially in Sport+, but in Drive it also pulls away easily.

Last edited by dseag2; 07-18-12 at 07:58 PM.
Old 07-18-12, 06:37 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When recently shopping for a new car, I was intent on replacing my BMW with another BMW. After driving the 2012 models of the 328i, 528i, 535i, and the 535i Sport, I was very disappointed with the noticeable throttle lag in all of them. Then I drove the new RWD GS350 and was very impressed with the instant, smooth, and powerful acceleration of this car. I have not been disappointed with my GS350 in any way. Drive one. You will be impressed with the smooth and aggressive acceleration of it's non-turbo, direct-injected V-6.
Old 07-18-12, 10:19 AM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 108 Likes on 60 Posts

Sorry to hijack - but are the RWD F-Sports in the US now coming with the push-button trunk close?

I thought that Canadian models were similar to US ones, and my AWD F-Sport doesn't have this. Was in the dealership and was surprised to see it on a RWD DRS F-Sport model.
Old 07-18-12, 10:47 AM
maxwebr
Driver

my RWD-F Sport doesn't have a push-button truck close. All manual here.
Old 07-18-12, 11:41 AM
Squirrelsb
Rookie

An absolute dream to drive. I swear in normal drive mode takeoff is faster and smoother than in S+ mode. However, once you get on those winding roads, S+ with DRS is just amazing. Car handles better than my 2004 AMG. Quick acceleration and smooth throttle. Drive one for yourself.
Old 07-18-12, 01:59 PM
mrpartsman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

yep, the take off is amazing, the throttle response is smooth.
Old 07-18-12, 05:56 PM
noncom23
Lead Lap

Thx to all! I will give it a drive.
Old 07-19-12, 06:12 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 211 Likes on 145 Posts

Hmmm...I'll have to try take-off in Normal mode then, because S+ is absolutely awful. Maybe I got a dud. I have 1,900 miles now, I can't imagine I'm still in some mythical break-in period.
Old 07-20-12, 08:32 AM
emcman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jtrue28
Hmmm...I'll have to try take-off in Normal mode then, because S+ is absolutely awful. Maybe I got a dud. .
I thought the sport and sport plus only affected the shock set ups and did not change the transmission mapping. To be very honest in my opinion our F sport likes to shift and live in the 1500-2000 rpm range which takes the edge off great acceleration.

My other car an X5 diesel is sharper actually but diesels have tons of torque. That said when I drive the Lexus I will use the paddle shifters and I fined it much better with keeping it only 500 rpm higher. You can also use the manual shift but the Lexus is opposite of the BMW in terms of up and down so I use the paddle shifter when I am in the mood.

With the twin spool turbo I do not notice much turbo lag anymore to be honest. Not like 10 years ago when it seemed to be a couple of seconds.

Now if you are talking about a standing start it seems OK but really it seems like they try to keep the RPM down in the Lexus. It does make it quiet and smooth. I also have AWD .
Old 07-20-12, 10:34 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

From Lexus' website

"DRIVE MODE SELECTWhether you're looking for added exhilaration or taking a relaxing drive through the neighborhood, Drive Mode Select enables you to make your GS F SPORT more responsive or efficient with the simple turn of the switch.

Sport S mode changes the gauge cluster lighting to a fiery red and alters the powertrain for faster gear changes and more dynamic throttle mapping. Sport S+ mode goes a step further by also tightening the F SPORT-tuned suspension and increasing steering response. In both modes, the transmission�s shift points are automatically altered coming into and out of corners for sharper acceleration." Gonna have to say FALSE, there. Acceleration out of corners is flat out awful as well.
Old 07-20-12, 01:24 PM
emcman
Driver School Candidate

Default Acceleration

Going back to what I know about my BMW the ecu learns over time your driving style and will adjust the transmission to shift more in tune with your driving habits. Since I am not the primary driver of the Lexus and my wife and I do drive differently that may explain some of it.

I get it to work fine and cornering is a dream as are the seats.

One warning about these electronic wonders is if the battery dies the transmission is worthless.

It happen to me once with another BMW and you could not even get it into neutral. Plus the parking brake is also electronic.
Old 07-20-12, 01:56 PM
DoriSaru15
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by emcman
Going back to what I know about my BMW the ecu learns over time your driving style and will adjust the transmission to shift more in tune with your driving habits. Since I am not the primary driver of the Lexus and my wife and I do drive differently that may explain some of it.

I get it to work fine and cornering is a dream as are the seats.

One warning about these electronic wonders is if the battery dies the transmission is worthless.

It happen to me once with another BMW and you could not even get it into neutral. Plus the parking brake is also electronic.

If the battery dies your whole car wont start but as in the transmission there is a way to shift it to any position. It's the little thing in the left side of the shifter. you push down with a flat tool (like your key or flat head) and it should unlock the shifter. For the parking brake i thought their was a manual release on the bottom of the auto e brake button?
Old 07-20-12, 02:16 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

I think he means the ECU forgets all the learning that it has done to program shift timing.

Quick Reply: Throttle response