GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Bumper expanding - question for warm climate friends

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-12, 03:56 PM
dreamG
Pit Crew

Received 124 Likes on 43 Posts

The gaps on my bumper are like you described but not as bad and does not stand out. The triple digit heat here does not cause any changes. Heat normal causes shrinkage.
Old 07-29-12, 04:47 PM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 106 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
i'm OCD about my cars also.
i'm a perfectionist and if i see something that doesn't look right i'm taking it back. and that's with everything,,, iPad, iPhone, macbook, tv, etc. sorry to hear about your dog. they're part of the family and when they pass,, you feel it. i checked my car after reading your post and i have that on both sides, not protruding as much as yours but it's there. i think it's just the way the bumper sits in that area,,, IDK. i'm going to ask my buddy at lexus to look at it. i'll let you know what he says. oh, and no luck on a decent installer for the mods we want. but i'm still looking.
Thanks, let me know. I could make a trip to NYC to get it installed too! And yes, I'm the same level of OCD. I picked up a new phone (HTC One X) and the haptic feedback doesn't feel quite right... the people at the store are getting sick of me I'm sure. I'm the same way with everything else I buy too. Except I don't buy that many Apple products .

The protrusions yesterday were much worse - I wish I had taken a picture. The next time I'm at the farm (where the protrusion occurred), I may park it in the same spot for the day and set up a time-lapse capture.

Let me know what your buddy says. I'll bring it up with my dealership when they finally call me in to look at the 3M tape. I have a list of a few gripes I'm going to submit to Lexus Corporate too. I'll focus on things the dealer either ignored or has no control over: the Turanza tires, the soft paint (just so they know) and bird poop causing hazing within minutes of landing on the car, and now the rear bumper protrusion.
Old 07-29-12, 06:13 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

DAMN,,, we are alot alike. we should start a club lol. will definitely let you know what my buddy at lexus says about the car. in the meantime just enjoy the car,,, keep her clean, put gas in her, and drive her.
Old 07-29-12, 06:43 PM
mehran888
Advanced

DAMN,,, we are alot alike. we should start a club lol. will definitely let you know what my buddy at lexus says about the car. in the meantime just enjoy the car,,, keep her clean, put gas in her, and drive her.
I think you, I and many other people on this forum are alike. By the nature of the forum and discussions, you're very likely to be

a) A 2013 GS350 owner
b) Inquisitive
c) Obsessive
d) Friendly with the rest of the community

Washed her today knowing full well that it's going to rain in the next 48 hours. My poor two year old son wants to help (and he's generally good at it), but I accidentally yelled at him (more of a "No stop!", than an actually yelling) after he dropped the microfiber towel on the ground and then tried to dry the doors.

He's getting better though. He knows to hold the towel with two hands, so it doesn't drag on the ground. He also knows that the wheels and the rest of the car get a different towel.
Old 07-29-12, 06:44 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mgoblue96
Mine looks just like that, but only on left side. Right side is flush.
Yep, only a tiny bit on the left side and I can push it in a bit to make it flush. The right side is flush and I can't push it in.

Like I told my GF today when I insisted she drive us in the GS - you're going to be driving some of the time on vacation and IT'S JUST A CAR, not my pride & joy. I enjoy my cars, but they are all daily drivers and subject to road hazards.
Old 07-29-12, 08:33 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mehran888
I think you, I and many other people on this forum are alike. By the nature of the forum and discussions, you're very likely to be

a) A 2013 GS350 owner
b) Inquisitive
c) Obsessive
d) Friendly with the rest of the community

Washed her today knowing full well that it's going to rain in the next 48 hours. My poor two year old son wants to help (and he's generally good at it), but I accidentally yelled at him (more of a "No stop!", than an actually yelling) after he dropped the microfiber towel on the ground and then tried to dry the doors.

He's getting better though. He knows to hold the towel with two hands, so it doesn't drag on the ground. He also knows that the wheels and the rest of the car get a different towel.
you def have to take a video of that and post it. i would love to see him washing and drying the car. my daughters could care less, all they want to do is spray water. my son,,,, lost cause,,, xbox and apple product junkie.
Old 07-29-12, 08:40 PM
mehran888
Advanced

you def have to take a video of that and post it. i would love to see him washing and drying the car. my daughters could care less, all they want to do is spray water. my son,,,, lost cause,,, xbox and apple product junkie.
I've tried. He yells "COME ON!" when I stop working to take pictures/videos of him. Pretty sure he gets that from his dad . Kids are pretty awesome. I'm looking forward to enjoying him growing up!

I do have a few pictures of him drying the car, but my wife and I's preference is to keep his exposure on the internet to a minimum
Old 07-30-12, 01:23 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

I've tried. He yells "COME ON!" when I stop working to take pictures/videos of him. Pretty sure he gets that from his dad . Kids are pretty awesome. I'm looking forward to enjoying him growing up!

I do have a few pictures of him drying the car, but my wife and I's preference is to keep his exposure on the internet to a minimum
i hear you on that one.
Old 07-30-12, 11:20 PM
Ay-nako
Stop the Copy!

Received 112 Likes on 52 Posts

+1 my GS started to do this too but im in 110+ degrees weather. It has gone down since last week w/o any forcing.
Old 08-01-12, 07:14 PM
kyo7878
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

picked mine up last night and both sides are flush so far, will double check if it expands after a week or so.
Old 08-01-12, 07:18 PM
mehran888
Advanced

Thank you sir. What I found with mine is that it expands.. and then it goes back to normal after it cools down. I'm heading to the cottage again this weekend so I'll leave it in the same location and try to set up a time lapse camera .

My car is also going into the dealership next week so the GM can investigate my 3M tape complaint (ripples in the tape), so I can bring up the bumper then too.

Congrats on your car by the way! She looks good!
Old 08-02-12, 06:25 AM
kyo7878
Pole Position

Thank you sir. What I found with mine is that it expands.. and then it goes back to normal after it cools down. I'm heading to the cottage again this weekend so I'll leave it in the same location and try to set up a time lapse camera .

My car is also going into the dealership next week so the GM can investigate my 3M tape complaint (ripples in the tape), so I can bring up the bumper then too.

Congrats on your car by the way! She looks good!
Thank you.

I'll need to keep an eye on this during lunch today, sounds like it would expand rather easily

Where are you seeing the ripple in tape? Im getting it done in 2 weeks need to check on that too
Old 08-02-12, 07:03 AM
mehran888
Advanced

Originally Posted by kyo7878
Thank you.

I'll need to keep an eye on this during lunch today, sounds like it would expand rather easily

Where are you seeing the ripple in tape? Im getting it done in 2 weeks need to check on that too
Do me a favour though and don't park it so close to your garage though!

The rippled can be anywhere. Based on my research it's due to poor stretching of the film. It's much more noticeable in dark cars (so you may be ok), but you can definitely feel it to the touch.

Mine is noticeable on one fender, the hood, and the side mirrors too. In general the person who applied it did a crappy job and didn't cut it well. The ones under my door handles aren't smooth either, and the one on my drivers side window occasionally causes a whistling.

I've already had it re-applied once. I really hope they don't just try to reapply it again. Frankly, I'm fine with it now (although the whistling is annoying and I might get the side mirror ones removed). I just want them to acknowledge that when they told me it would be "perfect" and "not noticeable", they deceived me. Just want some admission of responsibility.
Old 08-02-12, 09:15 AM
kyo7878
Pole Position

Do me a favour though and don't park it so close to your garage though!

The rippled can be anywhere. Based on my research it's due to poor stretching of the film. It's much more noticeable in dark cars (so you may be ok), but you can definitely feel it to the touch.

Mine is noticeable on one fender, the hood, and the side mirrors too. In general the person who applied it did a crappy job and didn't cut it well. The ones under my door handles aren't smooth either, and the one on my drivers side window occasionally causes a whistling.

I've already had it re-applied once. I really hope they don't just try to reapply it again. Frankly, I'm fine with it now (although the whistling is annoying and I might get the side mirror ones removed). I just want them to acknowledge that when they told me it would be "perfect" and "not noticeable", they deceived me. Just want some admission of responsibility.
haha, I would park further if I had a choice~bigger spots in my garage are occupied with a minivan & the queen of household aka WIFE so I only get the tightest parking spot at home
I was surprised to find out GS is actually longer than the RX, I still had plenty of clearance to the door with RX, oh well~

thanks for the info on the clear film, I def need to make sure they get it done right