GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

What made you select the 4GS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-12, 07:44 PM
ahearn
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What made you select the 4GS?

Other than being a hardcore Lexus fan, I'm curious as to what made you select the 4GS.

I came from a 3GS (GS 460) but wanted to keep an open mind about my next vehicle. I looked at the usual suspects -- BMW 5, Mercedes E, Audi A6, and Infiniti M. I also liked the cool looks of the 4-door coupes - Audi A7, BMW Gran Coupe, Porsche Panamera, and Mercedes CLS550.

I homed in on the Audi A7/S6 but was concerned about the excessive over-the-top tech features and poor reliability of those systems. Germans make great engines, transmissions, and mechanics but don't have great electrical and electronic systems.

I hadn't actually seriously considered another GS because, in my opinion, it didn't look as cool as the others, had a goofy new grill style, didn't offer a V8 for 2013, and it would be too much like the old car. Well, I visited my dealer, had a close look and took a long test drive, and was hooked. This was NOTHING like my 3GS and the decision was made. This car has to have the BEST BALANCE of all the right features, styling, pricing, and performance of any other.
Old 08-10-12, 08:00 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 163 Likes on 121 Posts

this is how I got my IS... I looked for perfect A4 for 4 months and then by accident got into IS... was blown away :-)
Old 08-10-12, 08:24 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I owned a few Lexuses in the early 2000's. My last was an '03 GS300 Sportdesign. I loved the car, but it didn't have all the technology of some of the newer models. I traded that for a couple of Acuras (new TL, new RL), then went through a series of Infintis (FX35, M35s, M45s, G37 Coupe, etc.) When Audi came out with the new A5 I loved the styling so much I traded my Infiniti M35 for an '09 Coupe. I then traded that for a '10 S5 Cabriolet, which I traded for an '11 S5 Cabriolet. Now that I've bored you, here's how I came to buy the GS350.

I had totally moved away from Lexus and was a huge Audi fan, but I knew I was going to have to give up that fantastic Cab for something more practical for frequent trips and hauling people. I was so happy with Audi that I first looked at both the A6 (dull) and the A7 (sexy), and realized I would only be happy with the A7, which is more expensive but quite the looker. The only catch is that is comes with a dull Bose sound system and needs a $6,000 upgrade to get to the B&O system I had in my S5. We're talking pushing $80k here, so I ruled that out. I've never liked the style of the new M37, nor the interior in the E Class. BMW was't in the cards either because of the ubiquity of the car, the run-flats, the recent "dumbing down" of the driving experience, and the generally poor dealer service. I had seen the crazy prototype of the Lexus GS that first came out and thought "poor Lexus, they have truly lost their way" and just laughed. It wasn't until I started seeing the final car appear in the mags and reading the reviews that I developed an interest. I went to drive one, fell in love with the interior and the way it drives and that was that!

Last edited by dseag2; 08-10-12 at 08:29 PM.
Old 08-10-12, 08:57 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

And if you combine poor dealer service with this, it makes you think twice...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...e-repairs.html
Old 08-10-12, 09:37 PM
2013GS
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I first started shopping for a car last year. I considered all the cars that Ahearn mentioned (BMW 5, Mercedes E, Audi A6, and Infiniti M). While I also liked the four door coupes, I had decided to set a maximum price tag of about $60K and these coupes were pricing out over $70K with the options I wanted. At that time Lexus wasn't even in consideration.

One vehicle that caught my eye was the 2011 Jaguar XF. I loved the exterior styling and at that time they were offering a 5 year warranty with 5 year paid maintenance plan. I drove one briefly and loved the experience. Then I heard that they were doing a refresh on the styling of the Jaguar for 2012 so I put off my purchase.

I heard about the new Lexus GS and got on their mailing list. I really didn't care for the styling very much when I saw it. Read some good reviews of the car so I kept it on my list. Then Lexus invited me to the GS performance tour. I arrived their early and spent a lot of time talking to Lexus representatives. I was lucky enough (and quick enough) to grab one of the GS F Sports and we did 3 laps on the track as a driver and 3 laps as a passenger. Wow, I was really impressed by the car. Spent more time sitting in the Lexus after I drove it.

I liked the GS handling and price better than its German competition and thought the Lexus would be more reliable. The Lexus turned out to be a much better value than the Jaguar (Lower price, better gas mileage, better projected resale value). Even though its a new model I felt the reliability of the GS would probably be better than the Jaguar over the long term. This was a consideration since I kept my last car over 6 years. Also,Lexus seemed to have a better dealer network than Jaguar did. Still like the XF exterior styling better but the GS has a nice interior and the Cabernet in my F Sport looks really sharp.
Old 08-10-12, 11:55 PM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

What sold me for the 4GS: interior cabin design.

The exterior and performance/options not so much.
Old 08-11-12, 12:14 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

After having a terrible 2011 BMW 535i xdrive that felt spongy with terrible handling and lousy ride for 1 year I traded it in for a 2013 Lexus GS 350 F-Sport which kicks the 5 in the handling and ride department while giving a better look and Lexus quality. The BMW sacrificed too much for the runflats and it ruined the ride and the natural handling of the older 5 series. The new GS takes this magical feel and leaps forward with an amazing sedan and strikes a great balance between sports and luxury. I am very happy with my exciting GS F-sport that garnered great feedbacks from my friends and colleagues in addition to myself. This is a huge step forward from the BMW 5 which was a disgusting disappointment and got lukewarm feedback from my close friends as it was designed for the average driver who careless on how it handled and instead wants to have it for a badge show-off. Sorry but that is the truth. The GS was the winner after all my test drive and careful homework. I also have a 2012 Audi A8L in my garage as well as a 2008 BMW 335xi coupe but the GS is the best of all worlds.
Old 08-11-12, 04:52 AM
Mojo122
Driver

I had owned several Acuras over the years dating back to 1991 when I started with a Legend sedan. As much as I loved my 2005 TL with A-Spec package, the styling of the new Acuras was a turn off for me. Having a couple of 2012 loaners I also didn't care for the interior. My wife has owned a number of ES sedans, which are a nice car, but all luxury and not at all sporty IMO. Always liked the GS, but the 2013 just blew me away. Looked at the Audi A6, but at the end of the day the GS F-Sport had more to offer me.
Old 08-11-12, 08:00 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

BENZ, AUDI, JAGUAR, are the cars i tested. Audi was on top of the list,,, was lurking behind the curtains quietly watching the 2013 GS. finally test drove the GMs car and said to myself, "whoa this is better than the previous cars i tested. this was Jan. 2012. Feb.2012 i had my F-Sport. i chose the F-Sport because it was geared towards the driver,,, a car a driver could actually have fun in. exterior styling is very nice IMO, and the interior IMO is very cool. i've been driving an F-Sport since FEB. and the excitement of getting in and starting the engine and driving it hasn't worn off yet,,, as opposed to my other cars,,, after a couple of weeks maybe a month, the excitement was gone,,, not so with the GS350 F-Sport.
Old 08-11-12, 08:03 AM
mrpartsman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Lexus always comes up with the sickest cars I think, , I got mine because of looks and reliability, and me being in the parts biz, I see these people spending money on parts on BMW, MERCEDES, AUDI, and watching them cry about it, well thats what u get before looking into what u buying and these cars are too complicated, and it does not keep its value, but Lexus, it's done differently I think.
Old 08-11-12, 09:28 AM
kyo7878
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also compared 5/6 series, E class, A6/7 and M37.
E class was the biggest turn off IMO due to its dated interior design, I just couldn't stand the dial pad they had on the center dash.
A6/7 were on top of my list, everything was great about the car. However with the poor ownership experience I had on VW , I didn't want to jump on Audi right away.
5/6 series's exterior didn't work for me. Their new design tends to push the kidney grill forward and to me looks like a pig's nose.
M37 was bottom on my list due to the terrible 7-speed transmission mapping. I have owned G37 that's got the same tranny, and its the worst if your in stop n go traffic, it just doesn't know where to shift.
In the end I chose Lexus over Audi due to the reliability, I have not had a single issue with any Toyota/Lexus product I have owned.

Last edited by kyo7878; 08-11-12 at 10:18 AM.
Old 08-12-12, 05:44 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

I think the 4GS is a great car, I just have not been able to get over the front end styling, but the interior and all the peformance reviews make me want to get one.
Old 08-12-12, 06:30 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I was at the dealer getting a key fob programmed for the 01 LX I bought last year. While waiting I saw the GS, came back to test drive it, and wanted it. I really wasn't looking for anything, but it fit my current desires better than my 05 LS, so I traded. I sometimes regret splurging on the car - but only when not behind the wheel. The handling, power, comfort, solid feel, and technology sold me on the car. It doesn't hurt that the exterior looks good and the interior of the luxury edition is gorgeous.
Old 08-12-12, 06:51 PM
OH2013GS
Driver School Candidate

Just got the GS earlier this week. Just joined the forum today. Hello to all.

Never thought I would own Lexus because my parents 2007 ES330 just doesn't drive to my liking, but the GS is totally different.

I was actually looking at much lower priced cars...Audi A5, BMW 3 series, G37. But my brother in law convinced me to check out the GS. At first I resisted because of the price. I took the A5 and the BMW 3 series for a test drive, I felt numb in the cabin. It was really boring looking. The A5 you couldn't control the radio without the computer system, which sucked and was small. The BMW I drove didn't have nav, but they are now coming out with a small screen in all the cars. The screen was small and the computer system was just too much like the A5. Both cars did drive well, but definitely not enough to make me move forward with them. The A6 and 5 series are similar interiors so I didn't even look there. I knew what the G37 had to offer because my brother in law had one.

I went and checked out the GS and I really liked the front end of the car. I think that the back end could be a little more aggressive. The interior was nice and the computer system kept things fresh. And of course, the drive is nice. I haven't really opened up the engine yet, but I did on the test drive and wow it threw me back. Ended up splurging and so far I'm happy with it.
Old 08-12-12, 08:24 PM
dochusar
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am truly a car fanatic. I needed a replacement for my daily driver. In 2010, I needed a replacement for my 2007 Audi A6, I got the redesigned Mercedes E550 4Matic, lovely motor, great acceleration poor interior and very complicated electronics.

This year, I needed a daily driver. I love my Porsche Panamera,but not a daily driver. The BMW 5 Series is bland, no longer the ultimate driving machine -- the car drives like a luxury boat, a baby 7 series, but no longer a sport sedan. The handling was soft, electronics complicated and the run flats lost all the performance characteristics.

The Audi A6, was in its first year of production, massively complicated and the drive was very front heavy. The supercharged 3 liter engine, is not as good as the naturally aspirated 3.2 liter engine or the 4.2 liter naturally aspirated 8 cylinder. Lovely looking cars with underpowered engines through the line.

The Jaguars were highly electronic and did not offer a AWD model,and are notoriously bad in snow. Test drove the Cadillac and just didn't like the drive and GM's reliability and past experience turned me off. The Infiniti's automatic was jerky in slow/bumper to bumper traffic.

I test drove the Lexus GS and fell in love with the drive, this is the car that BMW should have made, superb electronics and comfort. Now I only regret that I did not get the F Sport version. The base stereo is equal to the Bang and Olufson in my Audi and much better than the base Bose in the Audi, the Harmen in the BMW and Mercedes and matches the Bise base in the Porsche, but not as good as the Burmeister in my Panamera.

Overall, an excellent daily driver and sport sedan, all kudos to Lexus!

Quick Reply: What made you select the 4GS?