GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Windshield chip

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-12, 01:35 PM
sgani
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield chip

A rock hit my 2013 GS and now there is a very tiny chip on the windshield the. I'm planning on contacting a windshield repair company to possibly inject it to prevent it from spider webbing later. Will this effect any sensors like the rain sensors? I was informed that a new windshield is over $1,400 plus installation and it's expensive because there are sensors on it.

Last edited by sgani; 08-22-12 at 01:41 PM. Reason: cost
Old 08-22-12, 02:02 PM
Bill_GS3
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, it wont affect anything. I had this done on my GS a couple of weeks ago.

Sorry to hear about the windshield...
Old 08-22-12, 02:09 PM
djpeakSD
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it is $1,400 if you have Heads up dislplay! You may have that but Im just saying.
Old 08-22-12, 03:37 PM
sgani
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

djpeaksd, I don't have a heads up display but the dealer quoted me from my vin number which is a based model GS.

I just found out that some insurance companies actually cover this repair with no deductable or increase in your premium. Allstate says that there will only be a deductable and increase in my premium if they have to replace the glass. I'm going to bring it to Safelite this weekend to inspect it first to determine if it's even worth repairing. I don't want them to do more harm than good because I've read some horror stories about repairing windshields.
Old 08-22-12, 04:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by djpeakSD
I think it is $1,400 if you have Heads up dislplay! You may have that but Im just saying.
i thought with HUD it's 1900

1400 sounds about right for "normal" lexus windshield with rain sensor. that's about the price on my 3gs350 and ls460 iirc
Old 08-22-12, 04:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by sgani
djpeaksd, I don't have a heads up display but the dealer quoted me from my vin number which is a based model GS.

I just found out that some insurance companies actually cover this repair with no deductable or increase in your premium. Allstate says that there will only be a deductable and increase in my premium if they have to replace the glass. I'm going to bring it to Safelite this weekend to inspect it first to determine if it's even worth repairing. I don't want them to do more harm than good because I've read some horror stories about repairing windshields.
in CA forget about insurance coverage. they are bs, basically you can say they don't cover it "free" like it is in other states

just go to a good glass shop and have it filled (if possible) for like 50 bucks. but if it's just a chip and not a crack, i am not even sure if they can do anything. worth a trip for opinions though

my previous cars have all had tons of bad chips over the years, never a problem. it's unless it really cracked (through), then i had it glued right the way
Old 08-22-12, 07:34 PM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Glad I live in Fl if you have full coverage they replace it for free. Sorry about your chip I know how u feel, every time you look at that windshield that damn chip is gonna be on your mind.
Old 08-22-12, 08:12 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Safelite looks like a good bet. They insert resin into the windshield chip to keep it from cracking further, and you won't need your whole windshield replaced. You've probably seen this, but...

http://www.safelite.com/auto-glass-r...d-chip-repair/
Old 08-22-12, 08:22 PM
kdsr123
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well im in waiting for my hud winshield to come in, grand total is $2,300 with installation.
Old 08-22-12, 09:08 PM
mso4
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I hit a rock this morning driving the Corvette. While the damage was the size of a pepper, there was a small crack from it. I also have HUD and the crack was an inch above it. To top it off I have tint on the windshield.

Anyways, I researched a glass place, called my insurance (21st century) to file a claim, gave them my glass place, and had the glass guy come to my work place to fix it. They were done in 30min. No money from me, ins paid the $65. HUD and tint were fine.

While you can still see the damage, the crack is gone. And that's what I was concerned with the most. With significant change in temperature that crack can extend thru the windshield. So be careful when it's hot and you're using AC.

Unless the damage is pretty significant I don't recommend replacing windshield even if it's oem. There's always a possibility of poor fit and leakage depending on who installs your windshield.
Old 08-22-12, 09:14 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Just have the pit filled... It should be free of cost and no your insurance rates will never go up from a comprehensive claim if u filed one. The company that does the work simply bills your insurance directly. So if u pay them they always get paid twice... Always keep a $50 deductible for that coverage incase u need a full replacement or even a vandalism claim. The difference in money from that vs. a $500 ded is peanuts. Have it filled before it spreads. I've done this with several cars. No increase on insurance no payment required and takes 5 min to complete. I am an insurance agent in CA so i can say if ur insurance company ever increases ur rate from any comprehensive claim it is against the law and regulations set by the department of insurance. Even if you had a 2012 mercedes stolen and not recovered it would be covered under this same coverage and will not increase your rates at renewal.

Anyways... Just have it filled... No need to break the factory seal on that windshield for a chip.

Last edited by MikeFoxx; 08-22-12 at 09:22 PM.
Old 08-22-12, 09:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

Originally Posted by sgani
Allstate says that there will only be a deductable and increase in my premium if they have to replace the glass..
Actually, even replacing the glass won't effect your premium. Its a comprehensive, no fault claim.
Old 08-22-12, 11:47 PM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I had ton of tiny chips across my cars and I usually filled it myself. I bought the kit from Walmart and just follow their instruction. Cost less than 10 bucks for the kit and take 5 minutes each time.

Lexus windshields usually go for over a grand but there are no sensor whatsoever built into the windshield itself, only mounting bracket for the rain sensor & rear view mirror and opening cutout for other sensor to see thought the windshield. The installer will reuse the rain sensor and mount it on the new windshield . Other sensors such as HUD, lane keep assist, night vision are built into the overhead liner.