GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

F-Sport Wheels - Unremovable Spots

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-14 | 06:11 PM
CleaneLexo
Driver School Candidate

Aristide1 can you post pics of your wheels showing the stains.? Depending on the outcome of your situation, I can use it to help me with mine. The dealer told me str8 up that it is not a defect.
Old 05-20-14 | 08:12 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

For all who have said "have the wheels refinished", I have the Tire & Wheel warranty. I had curb rash on my rear wheel so I took it into Lexus for repair. They refinished the entire wheel and it doesn't look nearly as good as the others. It is somewhat darker, there are spots in the refinishing and it seems to be wearing faster than the others. And that is with Sewell, one of the best dealerships in the country. I would go new wheels or nothing.
Old 06-20-14 | 12:00 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Well, bad news on my front. Took my car in for the 10k service (oil change) and had them address some issues in addition to this. They're asking me if I drove through some bad water, if there are chemicals at my house, basically blaming it on me. Yeah, it's my bad for not bringing it up before even though the car got delivered like this, but they're fighting me on it.

I told the service manager to contact the Lexus regional person and have them come take a look. It's under the clear coat and it never comes off. The surface looks uniform, no pits or anything, and I've only used soap and water on the wheels.

I have a bad feeling about this. Me bringing it up "late" doesn't help. I mentioned club lexus and the SM knew what I was talking about, told him this isn't uncommon for F Sport graphite wheels, after he said this is the first time he'd seen this happen.

Wish me luck. I hope the dealer (and by proxy, Lexus) treats me right. This is the first Lexus I've owned but if they play this wrong it could be the last.

UPDATE: While I was typing this, they called back and said they'd have all 4 wheels refinished by tomorrow, late afternoon. I'm super skeptical that the finish will come out right. Clearcoat takes time to cure does it not?
Old 06-20-14 | 12:03 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jkeifer3
I had similar problems on the wheels of my '08 IS-F. Turned out to be a problem with the quality of the clear coat used by the wheel OEM which many people experienced. The dealer had the wheels refinished, gratis, by a local mobile wheel fixer upper.
I know you posted this a while back, but how did the refinish hold up? Worried about mine getting refinished.
Old 06-23-14 | 02:48 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Update: Got my car back on Saturday. It smells like clearcoat so I was halfway high on the drive home, but the finish looks good. No more spots. I think the original finish was darker and more sparkly, of course this could have been my perception since the original finish wasn't uniform.

Anyway, Park Place Lexus up in Plano took care of me. I had to twist an arm or two, but they ate it under warranty and their shop did a good job. I haven't put the wheels to microscopic scrutiny and don't intend to.
Old 07-16-14 | 01:47 PM
fazey99
Driver School Candidate

The same thing happened to my new car and the dealer said that they would not warranty the wheels. I can't believe that we are having these issues and Lexus is giving us problems to correct it. Seems like we might have to get attorney's involved.
Old 07-17-14 | 08:18 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by fazey99
The same thing happened to my new car and the dealer said that they would not warranty the wheels. I can't believe that we are having these issues and Lexus is giving us problems to correct it. Seems like we might have to get attorney's involved.
Push them on it. Point them at this thread if they don't believe you or haven't heard of this being a problem before. My dealership knows about Club Lexus. Don't take no for an answer.

If they start pushing back, ask them to have a Lexus Corporate regional rep come and see for him/herself. This is a factory defect, the smearing/streaking/runs are UNDER the clear coat. It's physically impossible that this is your fault.

Don't give up on it man. Get mad if you have to.
Old 07-21-14 | 05:49 PM
hambone525
Rookie

Default i got new wheels

I had spots on my F-Sport wheels and the dealer gave me new wheels at no cost to me
Old 07-21-14 | 07:04 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Afrosheen
Update: Got my car back on Saturday. It smells like clearcoat so I was halfway high on the drive home, but the finish looks good. No more spots. I think the original finish was darker and more sparkly, of course this could have been my perception since the original finish wasn't uniform.

Anyway, Park Place Lexus up in Plano took care of me. I had to twist an arm or two, but they ate it under warranty and their shop did a good job. I haven't put the wheels to microscopic scrutiny and don't intend to.
I must have missed this one. Glad the wheels turned out okay!

FYI, I took my car in again due to curb rash (darn high curbs in Dallas) and since it was the same rear wheel they had refinished that looked dark I mentioned it. This time they refinished it so it looks more like a new one. I also had a bent rim on the front one from the potholes here, and they refinished that one as well. It also looks like new. You just have to stay on top of them.

Believe it or not, I've had the same rear passenger wheel refinished 3 times due to curb rash. Even the underground parking at my gym has high curbs and I always end up turning too wide. It's why I want a smaller car, but I'm really glad I bought the wheel and tire package.
Old 07-22-14 | 08:46 AM
hambone525
Rookie

Default I had the same issue

I had the same issue with my f-sport wheels and the dealer gave me a brand new set of wheels.
Old 07-22-14 | 11:25 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by hambone525
I had the same issue with my f-sport wheels and the dealer gave me a brand new set of wheels.
I probably would have gotten brand new wheels if I noticed it the first week I had it. Oh well, refinish looks good.
Old 08-07-14 | 02:30 PM
JKN2000
Pit Crew

I too have this same problem. I just picked up a 2014 GS350 fsport w/ 2k miles on it. When I first test drive the car, it was raining, so I didn't notice it just thought it was dirty. But being in Houston. it dried out and was finishing the deal and they detailed. To take delivery of the car and seeing the same marks on the rims. They told me they would refinish. So question is, should I let them do it or ask for new wheels?
Old 08-07-14 | 07:19 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JKN2000
I too have this same problem. I just picked up a 2014 GS350 fsport w/ 2k miles on it. When I first test drive the car, it was raining, so I didn't notice it just thought it was dirty. But being in Houston. it dried out and was finishing the deal and they detailed. To take delivery of the car and seeing the same marks on the rims. They told me they would refinish. So question is, should I let them do it or ask for new wheels?
You should absolutely ask for new wheels since you just bought the car. My two refinished wheels look acceptable but when I'm washing them I can tell they just don't have the sparkle and the finish of the originals.
Old 08-07-14 | 07:26 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

I waxed my wheels every chance I got and so far so good. No stains yet but my rear wheel seems to be chipping so easily. 4 chips already in less than 500 miles, it's just that 1 driver side rear wheel.

I touched it up using 1E8 touch up paint and it's the closest I can get to the FSport wheel color. It's NOT 100% match but better than seeing the untouched white chips.
Old 08-07-14 | 07:33 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
I waxed my wheels every chance I got and so far so good. No stains yet but my rear wheel seems to be chipping so easily. 4 chips already in less than 500 miles, it's just that 1 driver side rear wheel.

I touched it up using 1E8 touch up paint and it's the closest I can get to the FSport wheel color. It's NOT 100% match but better than seeing the untouched white chips.
Is 1E8 touch up paint something you got from the Lexus dealer?

Quick Reply: F-Sport Wheels - Unremovable Spots