GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Aftermarket Subwoofer install

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-12, 06:25 AM
db3434
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikkels
I recently had a Kicker 450 watt powered sub installed in the trunk of my F Sport. It takes up very little space, it hits hard and sounds great.

One issue...the vibration shakes the gas tank door something fierce....well worth it tho.
Any pictures?
Old 09-07-12, 06:27 AM
db3434
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Winson6628
If I were u, Id go with sum high end woofers, the GS isnt an cheap car, so you'd probably should get sumthing that matches its class. Just my opinion. Also get an custom build if u got money to spend on the project. My old car I had 2 JL Audio w6s with 2 JL Audio 500/1 slash series amps with an custom box and rack build. Also dynamatted the entire trunk, helps the sound stay in the car too. I dynamatted the gas tank lid too. So no rattle at all. Just think it would b more classy with an custom build. It all depends on ur budget and taste for what sound u want. But thats my 2 cents, goodluck with this project.
Yes I plan on getting something custom built so it doesn't take up too much room and dynamat installed throughout the trunk and now the gas tank too so there isn't any rattle
Old 09-07-12, 12:31 PM
Nikkels
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by db3434
Any pictures?
sure...gimme a few
Old 09-10-12, 10:35 AM
Nikkels
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by db3434
Any pictures?
Sorry for the delay....here you go.
Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket Subwoofer install-trunk.jpg   Aftermarket Subwoofer install-trunk2.jpg   Aftermarket Subwoofer install-2012-09-09-16-26-16.jpg  
Old 11-22-12, 12:27 AM
Rozay604
Lead Lap

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts

ive had several subwoofers in this car and i found that the jl audio w6 is probably the best way to go. also i dont recommend slapping some box or hide it in the corner. The car is expensive so do it right get a fully custom box done. search my name and u can see what i have in my trunk. If your looking to save some space, go with the polk mm series they are a lil more shallow than average subs and go loud and sound good.
Old 11-22-12, 09:18 PM
Raptor.1
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Listen to Rozay604, he is absolutely right. Putting a box in the corner of your trunk 'sucks' because the sound waves have to travel through the GS's body which is very thick with materials; the car was designed to cancel out noise. Putting a sub in your trunk just cancels out the sound and with that setup you have to crank your sub way up just to hear it which at that point the sound is out of alignment, distorted, and muddy sounding. Rear deck lid is the only way to go; unless you remove your rear seats.

I went through this whole process myself starting with the box in the trunk idea and let me tell you that setup never sounded right. I got the most powerful JL amp with a 10" JL sub and it was no where near what it should have sounded like. I insisted on the rear deck lid idea which meant they had to build an enclouser there but once it was installed, night and day. There was such a dramatic diference with clarity, punch, and tone.

Warning: If you have a rear shade you will most likely have buzzing vibration noises, 'I had to have mine removed'
If not go nuts...

Last edited by Raptor.1; 11-22-12 at 10:01 PM.
Old 11-23-12, 04:15 PM
GSGUAM
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Does anybody know which wire to tap into for the subs...and front speakers? are the fronts 3-way(bass/mids/high) ML system with NAV?
Old 11-23-12, 06:11 PM
automaticj
Rookie

I have the Alpine Type-R 12" in a box in my trunk -- takes up more room then I wanted but I don't regret it one bit... sounds great -- but it does rattle the gas tank and the trunk a little...... but it sounds good and CLEAN
Old 11-26-12, 09:39 PM
Rozay604
Lead Lap

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by GSGUAM
Does anybody know which wire to tap into for the subs...and front speakers? are the fronts 3-way(bass/mids/high) ML system with NAV?
Dont tap it to the sub out. the crossover point in the gs is horrible. The best way is find where the factory amp is and take the left and right rear speaker ch bridge it into a loc. That way u get full control of the crossover from your amp. Also make sure u tap it before the factory amp not after.
Old 11-27-12, 05:34 AM
Mi1lion
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

@ ACJ- It doesn't sound clean when your gas door rattles like a hoopdie with 3 12's in the trunk! I was just talking to Rozay about finding a solution to this. I'll keep you guys posted if I do.
Old 11-27-12, 03:05 PM
GSGUAM
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Rozay604
Dont tap it to the sub out. the crossover point in the gs is horrible. The best way is find where the factory amp is and take the left and right rear speaker ch bridge it into a loc. That way u get full control of the crossover from your amp. Also make sure u tap it before the factory amp not after.
Thank you...I will do that, get the signal from the front mids and high, and rears into an audio control LCQ1.
Old 11-27-12, 10:26 PM
Mixman
Pole Position

I am tapping the front woofers. I know I can get at least a 100hz clean tone to my sub with my current LOC. I am thinking about getting an Audiocontrol LCQ1 too to see if I can get a better sound.

Unfortunately the rear deck solution limits what subs you can add unless you do a major mod. I am just going to add a couple of 12" Arc Audio Flatlines or Arc Audio Blacks (Pure SQ subs) to some boxes. I have one now, but you are right because of the sound insulation, hearing and feeling a sub can be a little difficult, but I don't want to be limited only by what I can add to the rear deck. Also, I want to keep this stock looking as possible, because my vehicle is a lease and goes back in a little less than three years. I will be powering the subs with a JL Audio HD1200/1.
Old 11-30-12, 04:24 AM
BkRed350
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation

I have a w7 installed and funny enought the gas cover vibrates and not the license plate
Old 11-30-12, 12:36 PM
Mixman
Pole Position

A W7? And I thought I was over the top. I thought about two 12w6's. Which one 10,12 or13?

Last edited by Mixman; 11-30-12 at 12:42 PM.
Old 11-30-12, 05:55 PM
bentleymp2
Pole Position

Couldn't one just put the arm rest down and keep the passage to the trunk open to help bass travel into the car? Works great in my acura...

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Subwoofer install