GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Something Odd - Screen Startup Delay

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-12, 03:59 PM
jmarias
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Something Odd - Screen Startup Delay

Something odd has started happening. Just over 6K on my GS and I am now starting to get an intermittent delay on the map/enform screen coming on when starting the car. At first I thought I had just gotten used to the car and was faster at preparing to drive (Fasten seat belt, turn on seat air con, etc). But no, it is definitely a delay in the screen coming on. Probably can stretch to an additional 5-8 seconds after one would expect it to be on. (Believe me, that's a long time when you are wanting to backup and need the camera on!)

Any thoughts out there? Anyone experiencing something similar? It is not on every start but at least once or twice a day, I think.

BTW, it's the whole screen, not just one side.

Thanks, Jim
Old 09-06-12, 04:47 PM
Vasili
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You've got me curious. I'm going to go time mine.

Get back to you later.
Old 09-06-12, 04:58 PM
Vasili
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, I timed it in mine and came up with an average like this...
Attached Thumbnails Something Odd - Screen Startup Delay-watch.png  
Old 09-06-12, 06:48 PM
faifai83
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jmarias
Something odd has started happening. Just over 6K on my GS and I am now starting to get an intermittent delay on the map/enform screen coming on when starting the car. At first I thought I had just gotten used to the car and was faster at preparing to drive (Fasten seat belt, turn on seat air con, etc). But no, it is definitely a delay in the screen coming on. Probably can stretch to an additional 5-8 seconds after one would expect it to be on. (Believe me, that's a long time when you are wanting to backup and need the camera on!)

Any thoughts out there? Anyone experiencing something similar? It is not on every start but at least once or twice a day, I think.

Thanks, Jim
Hrm, I'm pretty sure it's the blinker fluid. Did you make sure to change it during your 5k service?
Old 09-06-12, 07:37 PM
jj14
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks, Jim
I have noticed this as well. Sometimes, the screen turns on right away. Other times, it stays dark an extra 5 seconds or so before it turns on. This happens sometimes in the morning (first start of the day), and on other days, it doesn't happen till I'm heading back from work.
I am scheduled for my 6 months service early next month, so I was planning to ask them about it.
Old 09-07-12, 07:26 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

LCD and LED displays can be affected by temperature. The colder the temperature, the longer it can take them to turn on. That might have something to do with it.
Old 09-07-12, 10:48 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

Hmm.... I've noticed this delay at different times, including after a hot summer afternoon in TX.
not sure if that is the cause..
Old 09-07-12, 11:43 AM
e39ng
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I experienced the same thing...but only a few times so far.
Old 09-07-12, 04:03 PM
LexusGSFGO
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, Jim
We're you running any apps such as Pandoa when you shut the car down? I've noticed that restarting the apps the next day causes a delay as you describe.
Old 09-08-12, 05:24 PM
jmarias
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for all the responses. At least it appears that I have not lost my mind! Although, the "blinker fluid" comment has me wondering a bit!

No apps running on shut down... or at least not every time. I know it happens with the FM radio and USB media. It did so tonight on USB after picking up sushi for dinner (No I don't think sushi is the issue!)

Temperature?? Well I got it in May and since then the temp has rarely if ever fallen below 70 degrees here in central virginia. A front came through tonight and it was 68 when I left the restaurant. If that is the case, then then screen should be up and running by the time I get to work on January morning commutes!
Old 09-08-12, 09:15 PM
jj14
Lead Lap

Although, the "blinker fluid" comment has me wondering a bit!
That's an old joke
don't worry about that
Old 04-05-13, 08:21 AM
joehp1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car just went in for 10,000 mile service and I had them check this same issue out. They did notice the delay, but want me to bring it back and leave it for awhile so they can work with Lexus on the issue.
Old 04-05-13, 12:05 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by faifai83
Hrm, I'm pretty sure it's the blinker fluid. Did you make sure to change it during your 5k service?
here we go . i was wondering where you were... your answer to everything is blinker fluid lol...
Old 04-05-13, 12:19 PM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Thanks, Jim
Yep was gonna post this as well, I have the same problem. When I start the car the navigation will take some time before it turns on even after the car has been on. Same with the reverse camera it take a while when I put it in reverse the I'll have to wait before it finally comes on. Compared to when I first got the car is was wicked fast now its uber slow.
Old 04-05-13, 12:26 PM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

What's your navigation software version? I got mine update couple week ago and everything good so far. It's a minor update and available no charge to 4GS owner. It's not a new map update.
Attached Thumbnails Something Odd - Screen Startup Delay-20130316_133911.jpg  

Quick Reply: Something Odd - Screen Startup Delay