New to the Board, New to Lexus! Here is my Story

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-12, 05:10 PM
Nexson
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking New to the Board, New to Lexus! Here is my Story

Hey everyone,

My name is Brian and I have been lurking on here for a little while. Being a car enthusiast, I usually spend a few hours a day on the forums reading and posting. I currently drive a 2010 Acura that I did a few things to which I have posted below.

Anyway I sort of lost touch with the TL and never was 100% in love with the exterior, which is why I really tried to make it my own. I was fine with the TL until back in March when I saw the Lexus GS for the first time in person at my local dealer. It was sort of a love at first site type of deal, as I have always loved pearl whites and can't deal with dark cars anymore. BTW I really don't know what love is as I am single, but it seemed like love.

At the time getting a car was not really a consideration. Fast forward to August and I can't seem to think that with the TL paid off that I could possibly get a good deal on it as it only has 15,200 miles on it. The school I work at is not far from home and I really don't go out a whole lot so not many miles on the car. Being 25 years old I want to find a car I really love from the get go so I can hold onto it for a while instead of me modifying it to my liking.

So I get in touch with my credit advisor who essentially does all the haggling and gets the price down to the lowest it will go. He deals with someone in every dealership, to whom he goes to when someone calls for his services. First I was all for the regular GS as the f sport was somewhat out of my range with the car being a little higher then expected. I sort of thought "starting at $46,000" on the Lexus web site was true, shame on me. A $46,000 GS350 does not exist without options.

So here I am on the last day of the month, August 31st after work at the Lexus dealer because my price for a GS350 was at $51,300 out the door and I was fine with that. The salesperson through my credit advisor was with someone else so he let me into the garage where about 20 GS's laid quietly. While walking down and seeing each GS lined up so pretty next to each other I could not help to think to myself that I would settle for a base over an F-sport for the difference of 3,700. Keep in mind the f-sports stuck out like a sore thumb out of the line of GS's. Just make believe a sore thumb is a good thing because I can't think of another analogy right now.

After making my decision about the f-sport in white pearl I came back down and informed the person helping me that I would like to go that route and that two f-sports in white were on the property. One being in the garage and the other being on the lot. Something though didn't make too much sense because the one in the garage did not have a sticker on it and around the clear bra'd vinyl on the rear bumper, there was a build up of dirt around the edges. Just a side note, if I am going to buy a car, if possible I want it wrapped (the way it comes off the truck) like a Christmas present on Christmas morning. I am a bit picky but I want it brand freaking new for this price.

After inquiring about the f-sport in the garage I was told it had the Mark Levinson sound system, so that was out, so I then asked about the f-sport on the lot. By the way, I am looking for flaxen interior so that is why only two were available. IMO all black is a bit dull. Before asking I noticed again no sticker and that the inside didn't seem like brand new, with some messy floor mats and crumbs on the back seat. Turns out the car has 5k miles on it and was used as a demo car. They offered to only take 15 cents off each mile which came out to like $700 off the car. I wasn't interested to say the least.

After all that we came back in and tried to locate a GS f-sport in white/flaxen. About 15 minutes later there are none in the whole regional area. At this point I asked about the demo car again and wanted to see what could be further done with the price. Another 15 minutes and $1200 is taken off, sorry not good enough. I will gladly pay $1200 for a brand new car. After all that was done, they told me they would have to order one and it would be 2-3 weeks. With that said I gladly put my deposit down and walked away happy. Oh....and before I left I requested to see the car all wrapped up before it gets cleaned up for delivery.

Today I got a call and the car is due to arrive on the 21st of Sept so I am super happy!!

Thanks for reading all this and check out the links below

Here's the TL I have now, it has been put back to stock.
http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showp...&postcount=466

I painted and added the 2012 front to update it
http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showt...819283&page=13
http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showp...&postcount=531

And here is my first car, the accord.
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e2...album/1-11.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e2...album/2-12.jpg

Last edited by Nexson; 09-13-12 at 06:17 AM.
Old 09-12-12, 05:17 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats and welcome to the Lexus Family!!! I sold my 2011 BMW 535i xdrive for the 2013 Lexus GS F-sport and I am very happy.
Old 09-12-12, 05:58 PM
Allb18c
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nice story - enjoy your GS when you get it!
Old 09-12-12, 06:08 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Congratulations and welcome to CL!
Old 09-12-12, 06:21 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

congrats, i would go for F-Sport as well!
Old 09-12-12, 08:38 PM
kyo7878
Pole Position

congrats on the purchase!
Old 09-13-12, 01:10 AM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hah, reading this post made me laugh. It was like reading a blog post, I like your writing style! And congratulations on the GS F-Sport
Old 09-13-12, 05:58 AM
Nexson
Lead Lap

Thanks! I tried to make this passage as enjoyable as possible
Old 09-13-12, 06:45 AM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,314 Likes on 673 Posts

Welcome to the forum, these people are pretty nice around here

Did you have problems with the brakes on your TL? My girlfriend has a 2010 TL (silver) and the rotors are warped with 20k miles! Do you know of a good solution for brakes?
Old 09-13-12, 07:54 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

Welcome!!

2-3 weeks for special order is rather quick. Was it already on the boat, going to a different dealer?
Old 09-13-12, 08:34 AM
Nexson
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 95bat
Welcome to the forum, these people are pretty nice around here

Did you have problems with the brakes on your TL? My girlfriend has a 2010 TL (silver) and the rotors are warped with 20k miles! Do you know of a good solution for brakes?
Brakes have been perfectly fine. I had other issues like headliner rattle and eventually the turn signal would not hold in position, but brakes never seem to me an issue. Once in a while the factory has a bad batch of rotors from the manufacture.
Originally Posted by jtrue28
Welcome!!

2-3 weeks for special order is rather quick. Was it already on the boat, going to a different dealer?
I can't tell you if it is was special order or not, all I really know is that they told me that we can get you one in 2-3 weeks. So wether or not it was already coming in or it was ordered I do not know. I did ask my advisor and never really got a clear answer. I will ask the salesperson when it comes in as I am interested as well.
Old 09-13-12, 09:33 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 381 Likes on 224 Posts

First and foremost, welcome to Club Lexus. I truly enjoyed reading your post and cannot wait for the day (year) that I'll also have the opportunity to order a new 4GS.
Old 09-13-12, 10:35 AM
RandallsGS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I enjoyed your post & I'm new to this forum...as well to Lexus. I'm a 25 year Honda/Acura driver so I'm a bit curious & anxious to see the difference in performance as well as the dealership experience. I'm going to make a fairly educated guess that your car must be on the boat or at another dealership. How do I know that, well....I ordered a new GS-F at the end of May. It wasn't built until Aug 27. The dealership JUST informed me on Tuesday the GS is to arrive in port next Monday. He said it will travel via rail to Kansas, then be trucked to Iowa. Assuming all cars come through the same port & are shipped via rail to various drop off points throughout the US I can't see how they can promise you a car by next Friday & my dealership doesn't even think I'll see mine this month.

Please be sure to keep everyone in the loop as what you find out (where it's coming from) and if they stick to that timing.

I've been SO close to just walking away from this deal b/c I'm frustrated with the timing & lack of communication. Heck, I could've ordered a new Cobra Mustang & had it already!
Old 09-13-12, 01:38 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Congrats and welcome to Club Lexus!
Old 09-13-12, 02:23 PM
tank97
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

congrats brian! i have been following your thread in acurazine since i still have my acura TL.. now i cant wait to see your GS! lol

Quick Reply: New to the Board, New to Lexus! Here is my Story