Search this Thread

Old 09-20-12, 05:07 PM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New GS motor? Possibly?

hey guys,

new here.

i drive a 2010 evo X and my lease is up next May, looking for something a bit more mature, so either the 2014 G37 Sedan, 2014 Revised E Class, or a GS350 F Sport..assuming things go well!

i've noticed that the engine in the GS350 is the same as the engine that has been used in the IS350 for over 6 years now, albeit more efficient.

is there a chance that Lexus will drop the 3.5 V6 within the next few years for possibly an even more efficient, force-fed motor?

reason i ask is because I would hate to get a 2014 model to find out that a faster and more efficient motor is coming out the next year.

Or do you guys think they are going to stick to this motor for this gen?

thanks!
Old 09-20-12, 07:00 PM
GSTONY
Lead Lap

Hey and welcome to club lexus those are some good choices you have. I will say no to the engine update most likely a transmission update to a 8 speed auto but really wish they added a DCT. Its is plenty powerfull enough though but comming from a evo it probally a tad slower but the gs is a very mature luxurious ride you be happy with it
Old 09-20-12, 07:03 PM
GSTONY
Lead Lap

The is 350 was faster then a g37s so im assuming the gs is faster then the sedan and if you are getting a e350 then that too is slower then the gs
Old 09-20-12, 07:58 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

If you're looking to trade next year, I would be more concerned about Infiniti introducing a brand new G37 Sedan, since it is due for an update. Or maybe they've announced an updated 2014 model and that's why you're considering it?
Old 09-21-12, 08:49 AM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dseag2
If you're looking to trade next year, I would be more concerned about Infiniti introducing a brand new G37 Sedan, since it is due for an update. Or maybe they've announced an updated 2014 model and that's why you're considering it?
exactly, the new body G37 is due in spring, that's the one i'm looking for. apparently a turbo charged motor built in conjunction with benz.

looks wise i absolutely adore the GS350 F sport, break my neck every time i see one.

do you think the 8 speed auto is possible for the 2013 models?
Old 09-21-12, 08:55 AM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GSTONY
Hey and welcome to club lexus those are some good choices you have. I will say no to the engine update most likely a transmission update to a 8 speed auto but really wish they added a DCT. Its is plenty powerfull enough though but comming from a evo it probally a tad slower but the gs is a very mature luxurious ride you be happy with it
speed wise it will definitely be slower than the evo, but i'm willing to give up some speed for luxury..

also, G37>GS350>E350 as far as straight line performance.

benz is definitely the slowest.
Old 09-21-12, 10:34 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by modthispny
speed wise it will definitely be slower than the evo, but i'm willing to give up some speed for luxury..

The GS350 has a surprisingly strong top-end. In this video, it pulls away from the Evo X at highway speeds :

Old 09-21-12, 02:08 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

There is talk of a force induction v6 in the upcoming IS, but that engines will only be available in the mid cycle refresh, which will probably be the 2016 model, so if that happens im sure the engine will trickle up to the GS. But right now its all speculation . It is also possible that they will introduce this engine into the GS before the IS. but thats probably atleast another 2 years away

How come ur not considering the Infinti M56???
Old 09-21-12, 07:18 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm a big fan of the G37 (we have a G37 vert), but the quality of materials on the current one is much lower than those in the GS350. Rightly so, it costs much less. The vert is pretty heavy, but the sedans I've gotten as loaners are really fun to drive. Can't wait to see what the new one looks/drives like.
Old 09-21-12, 08:06 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by ndk83
There is talk of a force induction v6 in the upcoming IS, but that engines will only be available in the mid cycle refresh, which will probably be the 2016 model, so if that happens im sure the engine will trickle up to the GS. But right now its all speculation . It is also possible that they will introduce this engine into the GS before the IS. but thats probably atleast another 2 years away

Probably because the Infiniti M handles very poorly and erratically at the limit. According to Motortrend, the best driver's cars are

1) GS350 F-Sport
2) 535i
3) A6 3.0T
4) M37

Article :
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...s/viewall.html
Old 09-24-12, 12:26 PM
modthispny
Lead Lap

i don't like the M56 at all, and i agree that infiniti materials are definitely cheaper, but the payment will be about $200 less.

surprised the GS350 pulled on the Evo, but AWD and top end doesn't match, especially the stock Evo X.

my Evo isn't stock however, i have a tune and test pipe and gutted muffler, 313 awhp and 340 awtq to the wheels.
Old 09-24-12, 12:27 PM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ndk83

this is exactly what i was looking for. so the new body IS will retain the NA v6 motor but in a few years will get a new motor that will eventually trickle to the GS?
Old 09-24-12, 07:20 PM
IAMJAVEDG
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting video....
Old 09-24-12, 09:56 PM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
Probably because the Infiniti M handles very poorly and erratically at the limit. According to Motortrend, the best driver's cars are

1) GS350 F-Sport
2) 535i
3) A6 3.0T
4) M37

Article :
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...s/viewall.html
Just reread this article. Many great lines, including "The Lexus proved the most entertaining, rewarding, and confidence-inspiring up, down, and along our demanding Malibu road loop. Ultimate driving machine? Oh, yeah."
Old 09-25-12, 01:56 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

exactly, the new body G37 is due in spring, that's the one i'm looking for. apparently a turbo charged motor built in conjunction with benz.

looks wise i absolutely adore the GS350 F sport, break my neck every time i see one.

do you think the 8 speed auto is possible for the 2013 models?
Simply put, No.

The good news is it's coming most likely for the MY14 model. I posted earlier today that the 3IS 350 RWD will come exclusively with an 8-speed auto. 250 models soldier on with an updated 6-speed auto found in the 4GS

Quick Reply: New GS motor? Possibly?