GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Hard body

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-12, 03:52 AM
ronfsp
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
after strip, wash, clay, IPA wipedown. it should take you 20/25 minutes for 1 coat of HB.
Today i did the front bonnet. i use Wolf's Shine & Seal first before applying the 1st coat. Damn already sweating like a pig! The Shine & Seal is a little difficult to buff off with a dry cloth. It's like it sticks on the paint! I have to damp the detailing cloth a little to remove the Shine & Seal! Bro if i follow ur steps ----> strip, wash, clay, IPA wipedown, i'm a dead man!!! But yes to get the best effect out og the Hard Body, this is the way to do it... But it's too hard work for me
Old 12-08-12, 09:20 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ronfsp
Today i did the front bonnet. i use Wolf's Shine & Seal first before applying the 1st coat. Damn already sweating like a pig! The Shine & Seal is a little difficult to buff off with a dry cloth. It's like it sticks on the paint! I have to damp the detailing cloth a little to remove the Shine & Seal! Bro if i follow ur steps ----> strip, wash, clay, IPA wipedown, i'm a dead man!!! But yes to get the best effect out og the Hard Body, this is the way to do it... But it's too hard work for me
it's 82 degrees over there. is it humid? the humidity may play a factor in the difficulty of removing the Shine&Seal. or maybe you applied a little to much. it has a small learning curve. the first time for me was a little difficult because i applied to much HB, there was haze all over the car after i removed the HB. so i just left it for 24hrs. then washed it with the nano shampoo dried it and the haze was gone and the shine was ridiculous.

Last edited by sydtoosic; 12-08-12 at 09:24 AM.
Old 12-08-12, 10:56 AM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
Rim Shield Beading 101

IMG_0364 by sydtoosic, on Flickr
OK, Syd. I'm convinced. I will order this wheel shield.
Old 12-08-12, 12:19 PM
GtiB
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what are the steps to get this level of shine syd ?
please share ur secret =P
and do u do straight lines application or swirls ?
Old 12-08-12, 01:20 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bnlexus
OK, Syd. I'm convinced. I will order this wheel shield.
you won't be sorry. and i took the water beading pics after 2 days of rain and i'd driven it in the rain to pick up wifey from work.
Old 12-08-12, 01:27 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GtiB
what are the steps to get this level of shine syd ?
please share ur secret =P
and do u do straight lines application or swirls ?
it's not difficult. you do it the same way you would prep a car for a detail, but in the end instead of BF Midnight Sun or CG J97, you break out the Hard Body. if i did have a secret i would def share it with you guys. i only use straight line apps on everything i put on the car, i.e. QD, while washing and even drying... i'm afraid of the wax on wax off technique.
Old 12-09-12, 11:44 AM
bradtopp
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can anyone explain the chemical composition of Hard Body? Is it a polymer, acrylic sealant, etc? It is quite pricey and I am trying to perform a comparison but it is difficult when there is no information available that I can find.
Old 12-09-12, 02:55 PM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by ronfsp
Today i did the front bonnet. i use Wolf's Shine & Seal first before applying the 1st coat. Damn already sweating like a pig! The Shine & Seal is a little difficult to buff off with a dry cloth. It's like it sticks on the paint! ...
Yep, I was sweating too. I tried the hood and decided to skip that step. I wonder if it would make any difference. My whole car looks the same. I cant tell the difference from the hood to the rest. Enjoy. This stuff is ...addictive.
Old 12-09-12, 03:35 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bnlexus
Yep, I was sweating too. I tried the hood and decided to skip that step. I wonder if it would make any difference. My whole car looks the same. I cant tell the difference from the hood to the rest. Enjoy. This stuff is ...addictive.
the hood IMO is the easiest part. did you guys tape off sections? you can do the hood in either 2 or 4 sections. i used the 2 section method... 1 piece of automotive tape right down the middle. 4 sections would be even easier.
Old 12-09-12, 04:23 PM
tianh
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where can I purchase this product? seems amazing.
Old 12-09-12, 05:50 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tianh
where can I purchase this product? seems amazing.
here ya go...

Detailers Domain
http://www.detailersdomain.com
Phone number: 201-660-7010
55 Oak Street
Old 12-10-12, 02:08 PM
ChuH
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default IPA and steps of applications

Several mention to use IPA = Isopropyl alcohol to wipe down. What percent to use? I have both regular rubbing alcohol which is 70% isopropyl and 30% water or the industrial grade 99.99% isopropyl that I use to clean electronic components. Will IPA remove previous later of HB? I think the 99.99% isopropyl maybe too strong.

I am hoping to receive the Wolf's Shine & Seal and HardBody this week and pickup my car next week. I told my dealer not to remove the white shipping vinyl or wash the car as I will do the detailing myself. Can someone see if following schedule and steps looks good. Any recommendation will be greatly appreciated. Because I live in a condo complex where there are no cover parking I need to schedule the multiple coat while the paint is cool and not at direct sunlight.

Day 1
Early Morning
- degrease the car by washing with Dawn (base on past Zaino experience)
- dry car
- apply Wolf's Shine & Seal
- remove Shine & Seal
- apply HB and remove after 15 minutes
- wait 3 hours apply 2nd HB coat

Late Afternoon
- apply 3rd coat of HB

Day 2
Early Morning
- most likely there will be some moisture dew build up on the car in the early morning. I will dry the car for sure if there are any moisture but do I need to wipe down with IPA?
- apply 4th coat of HB
- If time permits or I feel crazy enough to apply more coats on the rest of the day.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-10-12, 03:18 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

@ ChuH...sounds good to me, however i would wait 5 days before i apply a 3rd coat of HB. you want to give the first 2 coats time to cure to it's best. you can wash the car 24/48hrs after the first 2 coats. but you should use the Wolfs nano shampoo. any other soap no matter how mild it is will degrade the HB, i know i tried it. after the 5 days, wash her wipe her down with an IPA and apply 2 more coats of HB. i use 70% alcohol no cut and it's fine. but you can use 60/40 0r 70/30 alcohol and distilled water. smart water works fine. have fun tes make sure the car is completely dry before applying HB.

Last edited by sydtoosic; 12-10-12 at 03:31 PM.
Old 12-10-12, 08:01 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

My Wolf's Rim Shield arrived today from Detailer's Domain. It is 25 degrees outside tonight, but I can't wait to try it when it warms up!
Old 12-10-12, 08:17 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dseag2
My Wolf's Rim Shield arrived today from Detailer's Domain. It is 25 degrees outside tonight, but I can't wait to try it when it warms up!
do your thing D... wow 25??? it's 55 here in Richmond Hill.

Quick Reply: Hard body