GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Hard body

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-12, 01:43 PM
jsch222
Advanced

Received 273 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
do your thing D... wow 25??? it's 55 here in Richmond Hill.
Any idea on how many applications a bottle will do?
Old 12-11-12, 04:06 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jsch222
Any idea on how many applications a bottle will do?
if done properly i would say... are you doing the whole wheel, barrel included? if just the face of the wheel i would say 15/20 applications. the first two initial applications should last at least 6 months or more depending on how clean you keep your wheels. so you'll have that bottle for a while. after 4/5 days of rain i washed my baby today and the wheels were filthy. i used the hose and washed away 95% of the dirt and grime then i sprayed Wolfs Clean And Coat, waited 5 minutes and washed the wheels with nano shampoo and water and "BAM" sparkling clean wheels. if you're referring to Hard Body... then 20/30 applications from 1 bottle if done properly.

Last edited by sydtoosic; 12-11-12 at 04:11 PM.
Old 12-11-12, 04:30 PM
Vasili
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if done properly i would say... are you doing the whole wheel, barrel included? if just the face of the wheel i would say 15/20 applications. the first two initial applications should last at least 6 months or more depending on how clean you keep your wheels. so you'll have that bottle for a while. after 4/5 days of rain i washed my baby today and the wheels were filthy. i used the hose and washed away 95% of the dirt and grime then i sprayed Wolfs Clean And Coat, waited 5 minutes and washed the wheels with nano shampoo and water and "BAM" sparkling clean wheels. if you're referring to Hard Body... then 20/30 applications from 1 bottle if done properly.
I guess I didn't do it properly with hard body.

I've gone through half the bottle with three coats.
Old 12-11-12, 05:39 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Vasili
I guess I didn't do it properly with hard body.

I've gone through half the bottle with three coats.
yeah V... you overdosed on the Hard Body. you have to be careful buddy that stuff is addictive. i have the number to a Hard Body 12 step program if you need it. i have 6 coats on my car and still have 3/4 of a bottle left. each time gets easier so you'll find yourself using less and less.
Old 12-11-12, 06:57 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

do your thing D... wow 25??? it's 55 here in Richmond Hill.
Yes, 25 degrees last night, 28 tonight, 48 today, and tomorrow I head to NYC where the cold front is just arriving and the temps will be the same.
Old 12-11-12, 07:34 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dseag2
Yes, 25 degrees last night, 28 tonight, 48 today, and tomorrow I head to NYC where the cold front is just arriving and the temps will be the same.
where will you be and how long will you be here. and yeah... it's starting to cool off here. are you coming by cargo plane with the GS??
Old 12-12-12, 06:40 AM
ronfsp
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Actually how many coats we need to do until we get the shine & protection we want? It's getting nowhere if we keep on adding coats after coats right? Is there a procedure like after how many coats of hard body then we dun have to apply anymore? Then after the number of coats we can juz wash or clean the car to maintain the shine till after 18 months - 24 months ( manufacturer's claim) we recoat it again???
Old 12-12-12, 07:09 AM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

Mine is not as shiny as Syd's but I'm happy with it. I have put on 3 coats so far. I'm not planning to add more at this time. What I do, when I get home, I let the car cool down, have dinner and then use a clean microfiber to slightly run over the paint to get the dirt off. The microfiber towel catches most of the dirt. Then I damp a new microfiber towel with QD and wipe the whole car. That seems to work for me.

PS: Have to thank Syd for introducing this stuff to us.
Old 12-12-12, 07:53 AM
stick22
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when you guys talk about putting additional coats on, what is the process after the initial coat. are you re-washing the car then applying another coat? or are you just wiping it down and then using the sealant then applying another coat?
Old 12-12-12, 08:58 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ronfsp
Actually how many coats we need to do until we get the shine & protection we want? It's getting nowhere if we keep on adding coats after coats right? Is there a procedure like after how many coats of hard body then we dun have to apply anymore? Then after the number of coats we can juz wash or clean the car to maintain the shine till after 18 months - 24 months ( manufacturer's claim) we recoat it again???
all you need is 2 coats to achieve the shine and protection. if you maintain it right (nano shampoo, use correct washing technique, nano QD) you shouldn't have any problems. the pics i posted on the first pg. are only 2 coats. the key is to let it cure for 5 days once you wash after the 1st 24hrs. after that first wash, do not touch her for 5 days. the extra coats (for me) are just for durability purposes, to see if it adds more protection. i have 6 coats on and will not apply anymore, unless i see that the HB is wearing off i.e, beading behavior, water running off the car changes. the gloss is going to stay in your paint, however the hydrophobic properties will have diminished and so will the protection.
Old 12-12-12, 09:03 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by stick22
when you guys talk about putting additional coats on, what is the process after the initial coat. are you re-washing the car then applying another coat? or are you just wiping it down and then using the sealant then applying another coat?
yes, you wash the car (using the wolfs nano shampoo don't forget to give it a good shake, the shampoo will turn green) dry it and give her an IPA wipedown x2 then add another coat of HB.
Old 12-12-12, 09:33 AM
1111GS

yes, you wash the car (using the wolfs nano shampoo don't forget to give it a good shake, the shampoo will turn green) dry it and give her an IPA wipedown x2 then add another coat of HB.
I think this is maybe why mine is not as shiny. I didn't do (know) this (not that I'm complaining about mine). Mr. HB, I'm going to order the wheel shield. What else you have in your garage that I need so I can place one order all together?
Old 12-12-12, 10:33 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bnlexus
I think this is maybe why mine is not as shiny. I didn't do (know) this (not that I'm complaining about mine). Mr. HB, I'm going to order the wheel shield. What else you have in your garage that I need so I can place one order all together?
now lets see ... i have the wolfs nano QD, the wolfs clean and coat (acid free, cleans and coats your wheels with nano protection) and of course the nano shampoo. see if you can get a merino wool duster. it's better and safer than using a MF towel. after every pass just shake it out and keep going. the trick is to barely touch the paint with it. when you're done then hit her with the QD. if you're not using the wolfs QD, which one are you using? nano hydro express should be fine with the HB if you frequently use a QD. i used it in the beginning when i didn't have the nano QD and it worked fine. i don't feel comfy putting anything else on that car other than wolfs products. BTW i spray the clean and coat on the barrels of the wheels and let sit then spay off "BAM" brand new barrels.

Last edited by sydtoosic; 12-12-12 at 10:45 AM.
Old 12-12-12, 11:07 AM
1111GS

Sounds good. I do have Wolf's QD and nano shampoo. If I read your posts right, you probably have three buckets when washing your car? They don't have merino wool duster but do have Uber Wool Duster. What do you use for interior esp. on leather?
Old 12-12-12, 11:23 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bnlexus
Sounds good. I do have Wolf's QD and nano shampoo. If I read your posts right, you probably have three buckets when washing your car? They don't have merino wool duster but do have Uber Wool Duster. What do you use for interior esp. on leather?
three buckets are overkill, although there are people that use the 3 bucket method. 2 with grit guards are enough for me. so you do have the nano QD. you only need it once a month, twice is as far as you should go. i use it once a month as a drying agent. after washing while the car is still wet i spray the QD on the whole car (except windows) and dry then i wipe her down with an ultra plush MF towel. yes the uber wool duster is what you need.

Quick Reply: Hard body