GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Freaked out for a minute, Glitter in the seat bottoms! Factory?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-12, 11:07 AM
Nexson
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Freaked out for a minute, Glitter in the seat bottoms! Factory?

In my attempt to keep every car I have as close to perfect as possible, I nearly freaked out today. Just the other day I picked up a birthday card for my mom. For once I actually didn't sit there 30 minutes reading cards. Nonetheless I found a card and it had some blue glitter on the front. You know, the type you sort of put gluing adhesive on, and the glitter sticks.

Anyway's I had the card in my car for a day or so before I took it out. Today when I got in my car, the sun was shining bright onto the seat and I see what looks like glitter in every little hole of the perforated seat bottom. At this point I am freaking out, literally sweat starts dripping down my forehead instantly. So I went to the trunk, found my armor leather wipes to see if they would come out and to no avail.

At the same time I couldn't help to notice that the "glitter" was multicolor but the glitter on my card was solid blue. I then noticed no "glitter" anywhere within the car.

I then examined all the other seats and the same type of sparkle was present within every hole, when the sun directly hits the seat bottom with the door open there is a glitter. I don't care if it is there, I just want to make sure it is factory.

I have flaxen interior.

I am still questioning myself but can anyone else confirm this
Old 09-30-12, 11:12 AM
Allb18c
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yep - I have the cabernet interior and I see the same thing in the holes also. The only difference is that I only see it on a few holes, not every one. However, it could be that I havent examined it as close as you have.
Old 09-30-12, 11:19 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

yes there is glitter or what seems like glitter on the seats. seems strange when you notice it,,, like why is there glitter on the seats? i learned to live with it. when i had the SP w/blk interior there was no glitter on the seats,,,
Old 09-30-12, 11:20 AM
Nexson
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Allb18c
Yep - I have the cabernet interior and I see the same thing in the holes also. The only difference is that I only see it on a few holes, not every one. However, it could be that I havent examined it as close as you have.
oh phew!, I just couldn't believe I had gotten glitter in every single hole but somehow I couldn't see glitter on the actual top of the seat. When looking closely, the sparkle is not dead center in the holes but rather on the edges. I actually followed the seat around the edge where it tucks in under and the same glitter in the holes.

I know it is not glitter but it is the easiest word to say to make people understand what I mean.
Old 09-30-12, 11:23 AM
Nexson
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
yes there is glitter or what seems like glitter on the seats. seems strange when you notice it,,, like why is there glitter on the seats? i learned to live with it.
If it is factory I am totally cool with it, there could be mis-matched paint or panels that don't line up perfectly, but if I know it comes from the factory I am fine with it, if I caused it then I really start to get disappointed.

If you really look hard and steady at the hole, you can see the glitter coming from the underneath material.
Old 09-30-12, 11:35 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Nexson
If it is factory I am totally cool with it, there could be mis-matched paint or panels that don't line up perfectly, but if I know it comes from the factory I am fine with it, if I caused it then I really start to get disappointed.

If you really look hard and steady at the hole, you can see the glitter coming from the underneath material.
glad you brought it up,,, i've been meaning to ask the dealer what it is. putting on my to do list.
Old 09-30-12, 02:51 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Could it have something to do with the seat cooling mechanism?
Old 09-30-12, 03:30 PM
Nexson
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dseag2
Possibly, besides that the seat coolers are worthless at best
Old 09-30-12, 04:10 PM
wlmngtn310
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seat coolers do suck, not cool enough. But I also have glitter all over my rear seats. I found it strange also.
Old 09-30-12, 04:47 PM
Mojo122
Driver

With the AC units in these cars I really didn't have any need to use the seat cooling feature over the summer. The glitter look seems cool, but I'm not seeing it on my black leather seats.
Old 09-30-12, 05:33 PM
Nexson
Lead Lap

Actually, they are just vented, not cooled. Or that is what the sales person told me.

They aren't all that powerful, but I just christened the car for the first time yesterday and it seemed to move the air out fast. In retrospect, I should have probably held in it, it probably kill 5% of the new car smell.
Old 09-30-12, 09:10 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

my wife likes the butt cooler,,, i used it once and it felt strange,,, like who wants air blown on their ***??? to me the seats never get that hot.
Old 10-01-12, 07:42 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

It's caused by light reflecting off the foam underneath the leather.
Old 10-01-12, 08:08 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dseag2
i don't think so D,,, i don't have heated and cooled back seats but there is glitter back there also.
Old 10-01-12, 11:12 AM
maxwebr
Driver

glitter looks good on the cabernet color

Quick Reply: Freaked out for a minute, Glitter in the seat bottoms! Factory?